You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Mar 2007

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00099 Mar 2007

Mar 2007 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SrI:
SrImathE Gopaladesika mahadesikaya nama:

Dearest all,

Continuing on the wonderful verses on Srirangam by
Kulasekara PerumAL? When! Oh! When am I going to offer
flowers at the lotus feet of Lord of Srirangam along
with the glorious group of His devotees?

emmaaNpin ayann^aan_gu naavi Nnaalum
eduththEththi eeriraNdu mukamuNG koNdu
emmaadu mezhiRkaNka Letti NnOtum
thozhuthEththi yinithiRainca ninRa sempon
ammaanRan malarkkamalak koppoozh thOnRa
aNiyarangath tharavaNaiyil paLLi koLLum
ammaanRa NnatiyiNaikkee zhalar_ka LittaNG
katiyavarO tenRukolO aNugum naaLE
 1.3

Chathurmukha BrahmA (the four faced Brahma), praises
his Lord (His Father Sriman Narayanan- from whose
lotus navel sprouts out the Lotus Flower in which
BrahmA is seated and was born), with all his four
tongues (meaning: reciting vedic hymns) and with
divine sthotras praising Lord?s most auspicious and
wonderful divine kalyANa guNAs; and making fullest
utility of his eight eyes (form four faces) enjoying
the dhivya sowndhayram of the Lord? in such a majestic
form. Such most beautiful Lord with His most wonderful
divine Navel shown visibly reclines on the AdhisEshan
in the sannidhi of Srirangam (which is like an
ornament to this samsaara saagaram).

When will I be able to approach Him, offer praising
Him with the flowers at His Lotus Feet in Srirangam
along with the glorious congregation of BhAgawathas?

Alavandhaar expresses the same sentiment-

yadvaa sramaavadhi yathaa mathi vaapya shaktha:
sthowmyEva mEva khalu tEpi sadhAsthuvantha:
vEdhA: chathurmukha mukhAscha mahaarNavaantha:
kOmajjathOr aNukulaachalayOr visEsha:

Even if powerless (to praise), I, until I get tired,
or as far as I am able [with my level of intellect,
jnAnam], praise. The Vedas which never ever stop
praising Him; the chathumukha, Rudra and others [below
those Vedas]; also praise only in similar fashion.
Don?t they? [based on what they understand to their
intellect or until they get tired]. In this deep, vast
ocean [of glories], how does it matter, if the objects
immersed are the huge mountain or a small atom? Both
are submerged.

Until I get tired let me praise. After two days, if he
stops? the Lord may ask: You are not tired. And why
did you stop?.. So Alavandhar says: until I get tired
and /or to the best of my intellect, jnAnam, I will
praise. If he knows, he may stop due to being tired;
if he is still able, he may not have jnAnam to
continue.

What Alavandhar! You had mentioned that you are
unashamed as you can not utter the praise mentioning
my glories fully and you would still continue. That
itself is praise. That?s why Alavdnahr uses the word
sthowmi.. (in present tense) and not sthOshyaami
(future tesne) as he has already started praising.

Vedas always praise. Hence it may apply. But Brahma,
Rudras do not do always. However as far as possible,
they do. Here in this verse, Alavandhar touches upon
only BrahmA, as he is the father of Rudra. And hence
even if BrahmA can not, it is obvious other will not
be able to. Thus even if they utter praise, they do
not reach the ultimate. Only if one thinks that he
utter the praise fully, that is wrong; but NOT the
very praise itself. Even if small and minutest praise,
it still is great and is required. Thus, whether it is
mountain praise, or atomic size praise, all get
immersed in the ocean of His glories and hence get
submerged.

If they are submerged, why should one praise at all?
Alavandhar asks: why did BrahmA, Sivan praise? It is
the duty of sEshan [servants] to praise the Master
[SEshi] to seek His dayA, grace and blessings; to seek
His pleasure; to praise Him with preethi [love], with
devotion; to praise Him with manas, vaak and kaayam
[word, thought and action]. Seshan [servants] are
blessed to be recipient of [sEshi] His grace by
praising Him with such manO vaak kaayam obeisance and
praise. Thus, even praising is the blessings from Him
to do so; and hence I start to praise

Sri RanganayikA samEtha Sri Ranganatha ParabrahmaNE
Namah
AzhwAr ThiruvaDigaLE SaraNam
Regards
Namo narayana