You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Mar 2008

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00039 Mar 2008

Mar 2008 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Dear Bhaagavatas:
I would like to invite your kind attention to the following observations in my posting on the subject.

“It is not only Mukkur Swami but also so many Acharyas say that ladies should not recite “Sri Vishnu Sahasranaama”. Unfortunately, they have not provided the reason why.

As indicated in our "Guidelines"-

"Wherever any views are expressed, they should be based on appropriate authority (PramaaNams) from the Srisooktis of Acharyas of Bhagavad Ramanuja - Swami Desika Satsampradayam.

A bland directive of  “Do’s and Don’ts on anushTaanams without such PramaaNams (authority) from the scriptures may be considered as mere blah-blah and are likely to be trashed by the readers whom they seek to educate"

We have merely stated that that there is “an alternate view” without being judgmental about the advice of Sri Mukkur Swami and other Acharyas.

I have also given the PramaaNam for this "alternate" view from a famous slOkam specifically recommending ladies to recite and from the Phalasrutui in which all could recite and reap benefits without any specific exclusion of ladies.

We have received numerous mails in support of recital but none with any PramaaNams other than what was quoted in our earlier posting.

We have also received many mails against the recital but none has provided any proper PramaaNams from Saatvic Scriptures specifically prohibiting ladies from reciting and most of them have projected only their own personal opinions.

Bhaagavatas may follow the instructions of their respective Achaaryas, if they wish to do so but they will do well to politely request their Achaaryas for appropriate PramaaNams (without being judgmental about their personal opinions).

In the circumstances, the topic is becoming a debate. As you know, "Sri Ranga Sri" is NOT the forum for debates.

We are, therefore, constrained to close the discussions on the topic. But, if anyone were to come up with suitable PramaaNams either way, they may do so in private mails.

Dasoham

Anbil Ramaswamy

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia