You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Mar 2008

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00042 Mar 2008

Mar 2008 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Dear sri vaishNava perunthagaiyeer,

We are continuing with raavaNa thinking of garudan as in sreemadh raamaayaNam. We saw maaha bhaaratham portion in which the sisters bet against each other, the stake being the winner gets the other as her slave. Why we have to see all these stories - is to understand why garudan has to bring amirtham and for whose sake etc -

21st section of aasthika parva –[portion only]–

Sauti said. 'Then when the night had passed away and the sun had risen in the morning, O thou whose wealth is asceticism, the 2 sisters Kadru and Vinata, having laid a wager about slavery, went with haste and impatience to view the steed Uchchaishravas from a near point. On their way they saw the ocean.

[MGV adds – in between this and next section as  below - is a description of the ocean, describing how the ocean contained all gems, fish, home of mainaaka mountain – later in sundhara kaaNdam that offered aanjanEya a seat for some rest, etc. I deleted that portion, since not relevant to our topic]

22nd section – [MGV adds part only again] -- Sauti said, 'The Nagas after consultation arrived at the conclusion that they should do their mother's bidding, for if she failed in obtaining her desire she might withdraw her affection and burn them all. If, on the other hand, she were graciously inclined, she might free them from her curse. They said, 'We will certainly render the horse's tail black.' And it is said that they then went and became hairs in the horse's tail.

"Now the 2 co-wives had laid the wager. And having laid the wager, O best of Brahmanas, the 2 sisters Kadru and Vinata, the daughters of Daksha, proceeded in great delight along the sky to see the other side of the Ocean.

23rd section – [MGV adds -portion of it only again] -- Sauti said, 'Having crossed the Ocean, Kadru of swift speed, accompanied by Vinata, soon alighted near the horse. They then both beheld that foremost of steeds of great speed, with body white as the rays of the moon but having black hairs (in the tail). And observing many black hairs in the tail, Kadru put Vinata, who was deeply dejected, into slavery. And thus Vinata having lost the wager, entered into a state of slavery and became exceedingly sorry.

MGv adds – at this stage – as the story goes in section 24 – viz- the mother vinata having lost the bet and became slave to her own sister, garuda was born. So he was born of a slave mother vinatha so to say. So the snakes – the sons of his mother's boss also started dictating terms to garuda.  See below.

25th section – portion only again -- Once Kadru calling Vinata who had prostrated herself before the former, addressed her these words in the presence of her son, 'O gentle Vinata, there is in the midst of the ocean, in a remote quarter, a delightful and fair region inhabited by the Nagas. Bear me thither!' At this that mother of the bird of fair feathers bore (on her shoulders) the mother of the snakes. And Garuda also, directed by his mother's words, carried (on his back) the snakes. And that ranger of the skies born of Vinata began to ascend towards the Sun. And thereupon the snakes, scorched by the rays of the Sun, swooned away.

[MGV adds – On reaching that place, mother kadru prayed to indra and he sent clouds to rain on the snakes to get them back to conscious. And the area became cool and full of fresh water – that island called ramaneeyaka – place of naagaas – please recall after kaaLiyan the dreaded snake was driven away by krishNa, from the 'madu' of yamunaa, he went to this place.]

26th section – portion only again -- "And the snakes, after arriving at that forest, began to enjoy themselves. And they commanded the lord of birds, viz, Garuda, of great energy, saying, 'Convey us to some other fair island with pure water. Thou ranger of the skies, thou must have seen many fair regions while coursing (through the air).' Garuda, alter reflecting for a few moments, asked his mother Vinata, saying, 'Why, mother, have I to do the bidding of the snakes?' Vinata thus questioned by him spake unto that ranger of the skies, her son, invested with every virtue, of great energy, and great strength, as follows: "Vinata said, 'O thou best of birds, I have become, from misfortune, the slave of my co-wife. The snakes, by an act of deception, caused me to lose my bet and have made me so.'

When his mother had told him the reason, that ranger of the skies, dejected with grief, addressed the snakes, saying, 'Tell me, ye snakes, by bringing what thing, gaining a knowledge of what thing, or doing what act of prowess, we may be freed from this state of bondage to you.'"

Sauti continued, 'The snakes, hearing him, said, 'Bring thou amrita by force. Then O bird, shall you be freed from bondage."

Point: Dear readers – now you got it – why garuda has to bring amritham – for whose sake – etc. as raavaNa was thinking – on garuda's feats. As stated earlier I could not complete in 2 posts. May be the next one is the last in this topic.

Dhasan

--
Vasudevan MG __._,_.___