You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Mar 2008

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00089 Mar 2008

Mar 2008 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Post 8

Dear sri vaishNava perunthagaiyeer,

We saw how raavaNa was remembering or recollecting on garudan's feats when he saw the 'subhadra', the great grand banyan tree, while crossing the saalmali dhveepam, as he was approaching maareechan's aasramam.  Now to look into the garudan's feats through swamy desikan's works, we have to go to garuda dhandakam and panchaasath. Since this e books are  already on line I will add my points only.

Quote --

Jaya Garuda Suparna Darveekaraahaara Devaadhipaahaarahaarin diwowkaspati

Kshipta Dambholi Dhaaraa kinaakalpa Kalpaantha Vatoola Kalpodhayaanalpa

Veerayithoodhyacchamatkaara Dhaityaari Jaitra Dhwajaarohanirdhaaritothkarsha

Sankarshanaatman Garutman Marutpanchakaadheesa Sathyaathimurthe na Kascchit

samas te namaste punaste nama: II

meaning: O Garuda Bhagavan! You have been named Suparna, because of the beauty of your wings. Serpents of immense size serve as your food. You brought Nectar, the food of the Devas- from Indra Loka to release your mother from the bonds of servitude. Indra got angry at you during that time and threw his Vajra weapon at you. The sharp edge of that powerful weapon caused wounds on your wings and rest of the body. The welts from those wounds look today as pieces of jewellery on your body and attest to your heroic deed in defeating Indra. Your other heroic deeds stand out like the mighty winds that sweep the universe during the time of the great deluge. You are sitting on the flag of your Lord, which denotes His victory over His enemies; from your position on the flag of your Lord, we are able to infer your glories. You have incarnated as Sankarshana among the four Vyuha Murthys of Sriman Narayana, which are Vasudeva, Sankarshana, Pradhumna and Aniruddha.

You have divided yourself into five forms-- Satyar, Suparnar, Garudar, Taarkshyar and VihagEswarar-- and matched those five forms with the five Vayus (Praanan, Apaanan, Samaanan, Udhaanan and Vyaanan) and shine thereafter as a supreme Devan. O Lord with the most exquisitely beautiful golden Wings! There is none, who is equal to you. I offer my salutations to you first and then again repeat my salutations.

– unquote from garuda dhandakam e book.

Points:

We have seen that portion of mahaa bhaaratham how garuda got this name suparna – shedding a feather.

bringing nectar for mother's sake – that episode also we have seen in detail.

the boon giving and taking to sreeman naaraayaNa – that also we have seen.

In garuda panchaasath – in the second section Amrta harana varnana portion (slokams 9-25) [Bringing the pot of nectar] describes the strength and greatness of Garuda in flying Svargaloka to take the nectar-pot, driving away the army of gods who came to fight and compelling Indra himself to hand over the pot to him. Garuda's mother, Vinata, was kept in custody by the Nagas (Serpents) in the Patala-loka who promised to release her if the nectar is given to them. So Garuda had to do it to bring about her freedom. These slokams are in the ebook are readily available, so I refrain from copying it or redoing it.

I just add one more reference from same sreemadh raamaayaNam on garudan, before closing my topic.

This is a blessing being given by mother kousalya to raama, when he takes leave of her just before going to forest.

yan mangalam suparNasya vinathaa akalpayath puraa || 2-25-33

amrutham praarthayaanasya thath thE bhavathu mangalam |

meaning: Which blessing was invoked by Vinatha to Garuda who was setting off to bring nectar in the past, may that blessing happen to you."

Thank you all and pranaamams to all. 'thath thE bhavathu mangalam'

Dhasan

Vasudevan m.g.

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia