You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Mar 2009

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00073 Mar 2009

Mar 2009 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SrI:

Dear VedAbhimAnis:

Let us start this posting with a prayer to Sooryan from Rg Veda translated by R.T.H. Griffin :

1. His bright rays bear him up aloft , the God who knoweth all that lives,
   Soorya , that all may look on Him.

2. The constellations pass away , like thieves , together with their beams ,
    before the all-beholding Sun.

3. His herald rays are seen afar refulgent o'er the world of men ,
   like flames of fire that burn and blaze.

4.Swift and all beautiful art Thou , Oh Soorya, maker of light ,
  illumining all the radiant realm.

5.Thou goest to the hosts of Gods , thou comest hither to mankind,
   hither all light to behold.

6. With that same eye of thine wherewith thou lookest brilliant VaruNa ,
    upon the busy race of men.

7. Traversing sky and wide mid-air , thou meetest with Thy beams our days,
    Sun , seeing all things that have birth.

8. Seven bay steeds harnessed to Thy car bear Thee , Oh Thou farseeing One,
   God, Soorya, with the radiant hair.

9. Soorya hath yoked the pure bright Seven , the daughters of the car; with these,
   His own dear team , He goeth forth.

10. Looking upon the loftier light above the darkness , we have come to Soorya ,
     God among Gods , the light that is most excellent.

11. Rising this day , Oh rich in friends , ascending to the loftier heaven,
     Soorya , remove my heart's disease , take from me this yellow hue.

12. To Parrots and to starlings ,let us give away my yellowness,
     or this my yellowness , let us transfer to Haritaala trees.

13. With all His conquering vigour this Aaditya hath gone up on high,
     giving my foe into mine hand: let me not be my foeman's prey.

Soorya NamaskAram

It will be appropriate to start with the 12 MantrAs for Soorya NamaskAram:
1.( PraNavam) MithrAya Nama:
2.(      "     ) RavayE Nama:
3.(      "     ) SooryAya Nama:
4.(      "     ) BhAnavE Nama:
5.(      "     ) Khagaaya Nama:
6.(      "     ) PushNE nama:
7.(      "     ) HiraNyagarbhAya Nama:
8.(      "     ) MaarichAya Nama:
9.(      "     ) AadityAya Nama:
10.(     "    ) SaavitrE Nama:
11.(     "    ) ArkAya Nama:
12.(     "    ) BhAskarAya Nama:

There are many mantrams in Rg Vedam addressed to Adityan:

1) Adhityasccha BuBudhAnA--4.1.18
2) Adhityaa ava hikhyAtAdhi--8.45.11
3) AdhityAnAm VasUnAm RudhriyANAm--10.48.11
4) AdhityAnAmavasA nUtanEna--7.51.1
5) Adhityaa rudra Vasava: --3.8.8
6) AdhityA rudhrA vasavO--7. 35.14
7) AadhityA ViSvE Marutasccha--7.51.3
8) AdhityAsO ati snigdhO--10.126.5
9) AdhityAsO adhitaya: --7.52.1
10) AdhityAsO adhitirmArdhayntAm--7.51.2
11) Adhityairindhra: sagaNO--10.157.2
12) AdhittE asya veeryasya--1.132.5
13) AdhittE viSvE kratum--1.68.2

There are many Rg Veda Mantrams for Adityaas , Aditi and other related gods . Some times it will be addressed to Bhaga , SavitAr , Aryaman, Pushan et al.

Here are some samplings from Rg Vedam(Translation: R.Griffith):

" Well knoweth Savitar , O child of water, where ocean firmly fixt , overflowed its limit "...." May the God Savitar , rich in goodly trasures, filling the region , borne by steeds, come hither ---In His hand holding much that makes men happy , lulling to slumber and arousing creatures."......." Savitar, golden haired , hath lifted eastward bright with sun beams , His eternal lustre".

" May Sooryaa guard us out of heaven , Vaayu from the firmament and Agni from terrestrial spots".

" AdityAs ! Ye most mighty Ones , grant our children and their seed extended term
of life that they may live long days.

" This light , the best of lights , supreme , all conquering , winner of riches, is exalted with high land.....all lighting, radiant , mighty as the Sun to see , He spreadeth wide unfailing victory and strength ...Beaming forth splendour with Thy light , Thou hast attained heaven's lustrous realm ...By Thee were brought together all existing things, possessor of all Godhead , all effecting God".

"We will invoke strong, early conquering Bhaga , the son of Aditi , the great supporter ".

There are similar prayers to Aryaman , Mitra , VaruNa and VishNu as one of the twelve AdhityAs . Here is the One for VishNu (7th Book XCIX) :" None who is born or being born , God VishNu , hath reached the utmost limit of Thy grandeur . The vast high vault of heaven hast Thou supported and Fixed Earth's eastern pinnacle securely ".

During Rg Vedic Time, Agni , Indhran , Sooryan were the dominant gods as seen from the Mantras addressed to them .

NamO Veda PurushAya,
V.Sadagopan

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia