You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - May 2003

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00080 May 2003

May 2003 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Sri Krishnaya Namah!

I have recently gone through an article in a devotional magazine (Vak)
published by Lord Venkateshwara Temple, Chilakur, Hyderabad. Excerpts are
below:

Once Goddess Parvathi asks Lord Shiva that even though he is adorned with
ashes being a kapaladhari and stay in Kailasa with very little or no
prosperity, why he is being called Shiva, the very meaning connotes
prosperity / auspiciousness.

Lord Shiva, answers that the reason being a nakshatrakachita nama, which
Parvathi can understand, being a sister of all nakshatras (prajapathi
putrikas). Further prodded by puzzled Parvathi, Lord Shiva says that, he
was called as Shiva, only because he do recitation of Vishnu constantly
though the nama originally belongs to Lord Vishnu as per Vishnusahasrama's
27th 'nakshatrakachita' nama. He further says that though he looks just
the opposite of the meaning that the nama Shiva connotes, in his dress code
etc., and just like river Ganga which born out of His divyapadam is sacred,
even though it is a carrier of dead bodies, and which is being held in
Lord Shiva's jata, in the same way, he, is in constant bhakthi towards the
Lord and was called as Shiva, all because of his prapatti towards Him.
With this explanation, Parvathi was happy.

In Srimadbhagavatha, by ISKCON Srila Prabhupadha, there is a mention that
most of Lord Shiva's bhakthas (mostly rakshasas) are in full of prosperity
with success, power and ofcourse Aishwarya, but very little knowledge,
while Lord Shiva lives a life devoid of prosperity in Kailasa. If we talk
about the devotees of Lord Vishnu, the notable and most of them are in
utter poverty but abundance of knowledge, while Lord Himself live a life
full of prosperity in Vaikunta.

Further I would like to mention few more points below:

The one who rank above all in terms of constant recitation of
Vishnusahasranama is Goddess Parvathi and secondly Lord Shiva.
This is what Lord Shiva says to Goddess Parvathi in the aforementioned
conversation.

Shakaro Vaishnava Shrestaha! this is what is being mentioned by Devarshi
Narada in his bhakthi sutra

Lord Shiva is decorated with 8 abharanas. Of these, the most significant
and impounding one (among others like Ganga, Nagabharana, bhasma, trishul
etc.,) is Ramanama which engulfs him constantly.

With this, we can deduce how much it is important for one to become
vaishnava rather than attain heaven and salvation. Next time, when we hear
Shivaya Namaha! let us invoke Lord Krishna in our mind and next time if we
see any Lingam - jyothirlingam, aatmalingam, vayulingam, aakashalingam
etc., let us see Him in it, for he is the Lord Shiva for all of us.
Afterall, He is the Antharyami of this charaachara shrusti. Shivaya
Namaha!

Sukumar

Sri Krishnaparabrahmane Namah!

Home Page