From: Bhaktan <bhaktan@xxxx>
To: srirangasri@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [SriRangaSri] Shuklambaradaram Vishnum
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 15:08:53 +0000

Dear Sir,

This is the way I was taught the meaning (in school - a long time back) and
its transliteration.
It is another way to look at the meaning of the sloka and may help understand
why it may refer to Lord Vinayaka.

Suklambaradaram - one who wears a white garment
Visnum - all pervading
Sasivarnam - one who has a brilliant complexion (like the full moon)
Chaturbhujam - one who has four hands
prasannavadanam - one who has an ever smiling face
dhyayet - I meditate upon
sarvavighnopashantaye- for the removal of all obstacles

If we take the word "Visnum" for its literal sanskrit meaning and not as a
reference to Lord Narayana, then this sloka could refer to Lord Vinayaka or
any of the gods that people worship in our faith. Couple this with the line
asking for "removal of all obstacles", the most common request asked of Lord
Vinayaka and what he is known for as well.

This interpretation may be why it is commonplace for people (me included) to
think that this sloka refers to Lord Vinayaka.

All languages are open to interpretation and Sanskrit, only more so.
That is the beauty and the power of Sanskrit.

Jai SrimanNarayana!
Siva.

Quoting Murali Krishna <vmkrishna26@xxxx>:

> "sukhlam bharadaram ...." appears as prelude to vishnu saharanamam(in the > poorva bhagam). But no where the second stanza addressing Vinayaka/gajanana
> appears in it . In fact it is followed either by a stanza addressing
> vishwaksena(yasya dviradavaktradhya parisadyah....) or Vyasa(vyasam vasista
> naptharam....). From these, we can easily infer that "Shuklam
> bharadaram...." addresses the supreme vishnu/Narayana and only vishnu. The
> addition of the other stanza relating to vinayaka/gajanana is to mislead
> people by some unscrupulous elements. Sorry if this hurts someone's
> sentiments, but facts are facts and have to be taken at its face value.
>
> -vmkrishna
>

> M Karpagam <m_karpagam@xxxx> wrote:
> I read somewhere that the complete
> "Shuklambaradaram Vishnum
> >shashivarnam...... is
>
> Shuklaambaradaram Vishnum
> shashivarnam chathurbujam
> prasanna vadanam dhiyayethe
> sarva vignopha saanthaye
>
> Gajanaana padmasana
> gajanaana mahirsham
> ane`ka dantam bakthanaama
> eka dantam upasmayema.
>
> - Karpagam.
>

> >From: sukumar
> >To: "Srirangasri@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" ,
> >Oppiliappan , "ramanuja@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
> >
> >Subject: [SriRangaSri] RE: the meaning of pranavam
> >Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 19:03:10 +0530
> >

> >Sri Krishnaya Namah!
> >
> >I have been looking for meaning of the sloka -- "Shuklambaradaram Vishnum > >shashivarnam............." As I can deduce nowhere in this sloka there is
> >mention of Vinayaka, while there is a mention of Lord Vishnu. One of my
> >acquintances (who is a purohit) also told me that this sloka is actually
> >addressed to Lord Vishnu.
> >
> >If this is for Vinayaka, then do we have any such sloka for Lord
> >Vishwaksena, which is chanted before starting any auspicious deeds.
> >

> >Sukumar
> >
> >Sri Krishnaparabrahmane Namah!

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia