You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - May 2003

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00179 May 2003

May 2003 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Dear Bhagavathas

Adiyen wants to add some statements regarding procuring Saligrama perumals. There are some complexities involved in getting saligrama perumal for aradhanam.

According to Sastras, Saligrama perumal should not be bought or sold. Adiyen does not know the pramana slokam. But adiyen has read this in Late Sri U.Ve Melpakkam Nrusimhachariar's question/answers that appeared in the form of a book and adiyen has read this in the series of articles written by the present Srimath Poundarikapuram Andavan Swamigal. Adiyen believes that Srimath Azhagiyasingar's Ahnika grantham also states that one should not buy or sell saligramams. (Not very sure but vaguely remember reading these statements when adiyen had got saligrama perumal from somebody). So there is no question of going to a VENDOR or SHOPKEEPER. Nowadays, adiyen has seen stores like "Giri Traders etc" selling saligramams though it is not correct. Usually the saligrama perumals are passed from old generations to present generation. Sometimes, some people might not be able to due to aradhanam and one can get it from them (provided the person whi is procuring is going to do thiru aradhanam regularly). Sometimes perumal is given by the girl's parents when one gets married. Even in all these cases, there is no question of buying.

So, it is better to approach one's acharyan or elders or relatives who are doing aradhanam regularly. Sometimes, I have heard some people actually getting saligrama perumal from Nepal by actually picking the saligrama perumal from gantaki river. Also it is in vogue to give some sambhavanai or dakshinai to the person who gives Saligrama perumal. Adiyen does not know whether this is also correct or not.

Also, you have to consult an elder who knows saligrama sila sastra as to identify whether the murthy is satvik or not or is the right moorthi for aradhanam. Some moorthis are not suitable for worship by gruhastars and some moorthis like jwala nrusimhar can be worshipped by sanyasis. When adiyen was conversing with Sri. U.Ve Azhisur Ranganathachariar Swami (present SriAhobilamutt Aradhakar), he was telling that one should not get some saligrama moorthi from some person right away. One has to check in what condition the person is and why he is giving the moorthi and if the person is good enough etc. The reason he states is that we will get his samskarams when we get saligrama moorthis from another person.

Also some people give saligrama perumals to temples. In such cases, you can approach nearby perumal koils also. But here also enquire the source. Some people after procuring saligrama perumal actually ask the perumal koil archakar nearby to do aradhanam to this perumal for 48 days and then take it to their houses. Though there are not pramanams for these, some of these are in vogue.

Of all, the most important thing is also to have undergone samshreyanam which is an eligibility criteria for doing aradhanam. Atleast this is valid for SriVaishnavites. If the person who is asking is an iyer and non-vaishnavite then i do not know the rules on what are the qualifications for doing aradhanam.

So, the best bet is to approach one's acharyan or an acharyan whom you know and get it from him (OR) consult with elders of their family who have been doing aradhanam for long time. They might know the correct way of getting saligrama perumals.

Please do not think that adiyen is confusing bhagavathals with lots of information. But these are things you might want to think about before starting your search. Perumal will definitely bless aspirants who want to do thiruvaradhanam and will lead them to the right way for getting saligrama moorthis for worship.

Regards
Adiyen Ramanuja Dasan
Lakshminarasimhan. S.

Srimathe Lakshminrusimha divya pAduka sevika
srivan satakopa Sri Narayana Yathindra MahadesikAya Namaha