You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - May 2003

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00188 May 2003

May 2003 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SrI:

Dear SrImathi Rajalakshmi:

Your question below is a good one .
My comments are added in BLOCK LETTERS
AFTER INDIVIDUAL POINTS:

YOUR QUESTIONS
***************
>In "periya tirumozhi", azhwar's pasuram on
>tiruvarangam.. ""Oozhiyai Oomathuchchiyai...Aazhiyal
>anRangu Azhiyai ..."" (5.8)

YOU ARE REFERRING TO ONE OF THE SRIRNAGA PAASURAMS
PASSAGE OF THIRUMANGAI (5.7.8):

---PAAZHYAAL MIKKA PAARTHANUKKU ARULIP-PAHALAVAN OLI KEDA,
PAHALE-AAZHIYALANRANGAAZHIYAI MARAITTHAAN
ARANGAMAANAHAR AMARNTHAANE

>In the meaning it is written - "Krishna sent his
>chakram in the day to hide the light of sun, for the
>sake of arjuna".

THIS IS CORRECT .IT WAS CLOSE TO EVENING .

>My doubt is, chakram itself gives bright light, (in
>bhagavatam in the last chapter 10th canto, for
>searching the brahmana's children, when krishna and
>arjuna goes, at some point krishna send his chakram to
>give light on their way 10.89.50), may be sun's light
>gets dimmer infront of chakram's brightness, but how
>come there is darkness? azhwar says 'pagalavanoLi keda
>pagale'...

HERE THE REFERENCE IS NOT TO DIM THE BRIGHTNESS OF SOORYAN
WITH THE SUPERIOR RADIANCE OF SUDARSANAM BUT TO CREATE
THE KAALAM FOR JAYADHARATHAN'S DEATH. SOORYAN IS KAALA ROOPI
(THE MARKER OF TIME). PERUMAAL IS AKAALA KAALYAN , WHO HID
THE SOORYAN ( THE MARKER OF TIME: SUNRISE AND SUNSETS )
AS THE COMMANDER OF KAALAM AS WELL AS THE ONE
WHO MARKS TIME (SOORYAN). SUDARSANAR IS THE SANKALPA
SAKTHI OF THE LORD. HENCE , WHEN HE WILLED TO CREATE
SOORYA ASTHAMANAM TO HELP ARJUNA , THEN SUDARSANA BHAGAVAN
FOLLOWED THE WISH OF HIS LORD TO HIDE THE SOORYAN . JAYADHRATHAN
CAME OUT THINKING THAT HE WAS SAFE SINCE THE SUN HAD SET
AND WAS KILLED BY THE WAITING ARJUNA.

THE SECOND EXPLANATION IS BASED ON A PASSAGE IN
SRI KURA NAARAYANAR'S SUDARSANA SATHAKA SLOKAM
PASSAGE BELOW (11TH SLOKAM):

UcchaNDE yacchikhaNDE niBhiDayathi
nabha: krODamArgOadathi dhyAm
abyasya prouDatApa kalpitha
vapurapO Bhibratheerabhrapankthee:

(meaning): When the rays of Sudarsanar reached
the sky, the Sooryan got scorched and entered
the inside of the dark rainy clouds to escape
and hid himself there. Darkness set in. Sudarsanar
returned now to his place ( the right hand of Bhagavan ).
The mission was accomlished this way . Jayadhrathan
was killed and Arjuna's vow to kill Jayadhrathan
before the Sun set for killing his son , Abhimnayu,
was protected by the sankalpa sakthi of Lord ParthasArathy.

V.Sadagopan

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia
srirangasri-subscribe@yahoogroups.com