You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - May 2004

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00018 May 2004

May 2004 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SrimatE Raamaanujaaya Namaha //

SrimatE Nigamaanta Mahaa Desikaaya Namaha //

SrIman! SrI Ranga Sriyam anupadravam anudhinam Samvardhaya/

SrIman! SrI Ranga Sriyam anupadravam anudhinam Samvardhaya//

KAvEri VardhathAm kAlE, kAlE varshathu vAsava: /

SrI RanganAthO jayathu Sri Ranga Sri cha VardhathAm//

==============================================================================================================

SRI RANGA SRI VOL.05 / ISSUE # 18 dated 5th May 2004

===============================================================================================================================
EDITORIAL

1. ADDITIONS OF MEMBERS TO THE "BOARD OF ADVISORY CONSULTANTS" (BAC)
FOR "SRI RANGA SRI"
2. ADDENDUM TO MY "REPORT ON MY VISIT TO INDIA"
(contained in SRS Vol.05/17 dated 28th April 2004)

===============================================================================================================================
IN THIS ISSUE:

1. Addendum to "Important days in TaaraNa Chittirai (Mesha) month"
detailed in SRS Vol. 05 /16 dated 27th April 2004.

2. DESIKAMRUTAM

      Srimad Rahasya Traya Saram "The three Tenets - 2"

      Sri Sadagopan Iyengar, Srikaryam Swami of BAC of SRS

(The previous Part "The Three Tenets -1" appeared in

SRS Vol.05/13 d/02/05/04)

===================================================================================================
EDITORIAL

1. Additions of Members to the "Board of Advisory Consultants" (BAC)
for "Sri Ranga Sri"

=====================================================================================================================================Dear
 Bhagavatas:

I am glad to inform you that the following Scholars have consented
to adorn our Board of Advisory Consultants:

* Sri V.N.Vedanta Desikan Swami, Chennai

* Sri Ananthanarasimhachariar Swami, Bangalore, Srikaryam of His
Holiness, Srimad Andavan of Poundarikapuram Swami Asramam

* Smt. Vishnu Priya Chari and Sri R.S.Chari, Pondicherry.

You will remember my writing about this devout couple in an earlier
Issue of "Sri Ranga Sri". Smt. Vishnupriya Chari has brought out the
famous Sri Lakshmi Narayana Hridayam, Sri Nrisimha Kavacham, Sri
Varaaha Kavacham etc through Lifco Accociates, 36 North Road, West
CIT Nagar, Chennai 600 035 (Phone:2489 1959).

Sri R.S. Chari Swamin retired as a Senior IAS Officer from
Government. of Pondicherry. He is presently the Managing Trustee of
Sri Lakshmi Saras Maruti Trust, "Sri Paduka Rajyam", 9 Ramakrishna
Nagar, Muthialpet, Pondicherry  (Phone # 5501211) through which he
has brought out several rare Stotra booklets for FREE distribution
like-

Mangalaya Vriddhi Stotram
Sampadaa Stotram
Sri Hayagriva ChintaamaNi Stotram
Sri Hayagriva Panjara Stotram
Sarva MangaLaashTakam
Jaya MangaLa Stotram
Sri Lakshmi Hayagriva Mantra Maalika Stotram by Mahavidwan Kasturi
Rangachariar Swami with the lucid translation and commentary by Sri
Baashya Simhasanam Sri V.S. Karunakaran Swami (Our BAC member)
Sri Hayagriva Ratna Maala Stotram by the 33rd Pontiff of Parakala
Matam H.H Brahma Tantra Swatantra Sri Ranganatha Maha Desika
Parakala Jeeyar with Tamil translation and commentary by
MahamahOpaadhyaaya Abhinava NaagEsa PaiyambaaDi Setlur
Srivatsankachariar Swami (French Indological Institute, Pondicherry)
Sri Ranganatha Paduka Sahasra RatnangaL with Tamil Commentary of
H.H. Therazhundur AnDavan of Periyasramam.
Theertha Mahima and Naama Mahima Stotra from 65th Adhyayam of
Nrisimha PuraaNa
Sri Mrityunjaya Stotram (also from Nrisimha PuraaNa)
Sri Nrisimha Stotram by Sri Sukra Bhagavaan (also from Nrisimha
PuraaNa)
Sri Hanumat Vimsati by Sri Lakshmi Kumara Tatachariar
Tiruppavai rendered in English poetry by Sri R. Seshadri
Sri Krishna Charama Upadesam done by Lord Krishna to Uddavar (Srimad
Bhaagavatam 11th Skandam 28th Adhyayam)
Sri Krishna Charama Slokam (Sri Bhagavad Gita 18th Adhyayam)
GovardanaashTakam
"RukmiNi LEkhanam" (Srimad Bhaagavatam Dasama Skandam)

We are proud to make available to our readers in our forthcoming
issues, these RARE STOTRAS that have been proved to confer immense
benefits on those who recite them with full faith and devotion

==============================================================================================================================

2. ADDENDUM TO MY REPORT ON MY VISIT TO INDIA

(Contained in SRS Vol.05/17 dated 27th April 2004)

I forgot to mention the meeting I had with another great
Yathisreshta at Sri Rangam, namely H.H. Jeeyar of Sri
Ranganathaswamy Kol (popularly known as the "Koil Jeeyar". Many of
you will remember the article about his visit to Tirumalai that was
widely reported in the media.

What is so special about his visit to Tirumalai?

In over 1000 years, he was the first "Srirangam Koil Jeeyar" to
visit Tirumalai and the "Tirumalai Koil Jeeyar" where he offered
Mangalaasaasanam to TiruvenkaTam uDaiyaan.

Another Information:

He is the Poorvaasrama father of Sri Narayana Bhattar, priest of the
temple at Cleveland, Ohio, who conducted "Sudarsana Homam" at my
Cleveland home

I called upon this Mahaan at his MaTam in North Uttara Street,
Srirangam, paid my obeisance to him both before and after the
functions. He was so pleased to know about the book release and
blessed me with Mantraakshadai.

OTHERS WHO ATTENDED THE FUNCTION

Other Bhagavatas who attended the function but were omitted to be
included in my report in SRS Vol.05/17. (Sorry for the omission)
=================================================================================================================
Sri Srinivasan Swami (Father of our Sri Shyam and Sri Venkat
Srinivasan of NJ

Sri Kripa Sarathi Swami of Atlanta

Smt. Shanta Mami, who constructed the ManTapam at Thooppul Desikan
Sannidhi

I will be grateful to be informed of any other attendees, whose
names, I might have inadvertently omitted in my earlier Report.

Dasoham

Anbil Ramaswamy
=========================================================================================================================xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
=========================================================================================================================
1. ADDENDUM TO "IMPORTANT DAYS IN TAARANA CHITTIRAI (MESHA) MONTH
DETAILED IN SRS VOL. 05 /16 DATED 27TH APRIL 2004.

Please add the following to the list:
PANCHANGAM DATE/ ENGLISH DATE/ DAY/ STAR/ EVENT

04th/ 04/16/04/Fri/PooraTTadi/ AM 32

05th/ 04/17/04/Satur/ UtraTTadi/ MATSYA JAYANTI, DenkanikoTtai Swami

06th/ 04/18/04/Sun/Revati/ PM 36 (Prakritam Pontiff), PudukkOTTai
Srinivasa Raghavachariar

10th/04/22/04/ Thurs/Kartigai/ AKSHAYA TRITEEYAI, BALARAMA JAYANTI

13th/ 04/25/04/Sunday/Tiruvadirai/Saakshaat Swami,VaadiHamsambuvaahar
Velamur Ranganatha Maha Desikan, Kidambi AppuLLaar

14th/ 04/26/04/Monday/ Punarvasu/AM 24

16th/ 04/28/04/ Wednes/ Aslesha/ ILayavalli

20th/ 05/02/04/Sun/Hastam/GaTikasatham AmmaL

21st/ 05/03/04/Mon/Chitrai/NARASIMHA JAYANTI, Ranganatha YMD (AM)

22nd/ 05/04/04/ Tues/ Swati/SiddhaNNa

25th/05/07/04/ Fri/ KeTTai/VARAHA JAYANTI

28th/ 05/10/04/ Mon/ UttraaDam/KOtikannikaadaanam STT

=====================================================================================================================xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
=====================================================================================================================2.
 DESIKAMRUTAM

SRIMAD RAHASYA TRAYA SARAM

Sri Sadagopan Iyengar, Srikaryam Swami of BAC of SRS
===================================================================================================================
THE THREE TENETS?2
Summarising the three most important concepts in our Sampradaya and
their inter se relationship, Sri Ramanuja says in the Vaikuntta
Gadya that these consist broadly of "Isa" (The Universal Ruler) and
the "Isitavyam" (the Ruled?including the Jeevas and non-sentient
objects). The essential nature, the continued well-being and
activity of the latter class, in all its variety, (the IsitavyAs)
depend on the former (The Isvara)?"SvAdheena trividha chEtana
achEtana svarUpa stithi pravritti bhEdam".
As expanding this beautiful phrase of Sri Bhashyakara would
illustrate and illuminate these concepts, we shall attempt the same.

As already stated, the three types of Jeevas ("Trividha ChEtanam")
are

1)      those in bondage (BaddhAs) like us,

2)      the ones who have been liberated (the MuktAs) and

3)       those who are eternally free and delight in constantly
serving the Lord as per His wishes (the NityAs).

      It is to be noted that though Isvara too is a ChEtana, He is
excluded here, because He belongs to an entirely different class,
that of the Universal Master, vis-à-vis the other class of ChEtanAs,
belonging to the class of the subjects, totally dependent on the
former for everything, from their very existence to their well
being).

The three types of non-sentient objects ("Trividha achEtanam") are

1)      Prakriti or Matter (with its three-fold traits of Sattva,
Rajas and Tamas)

2)      Time, which is classified variously as seconds, minutes,
days, months, years, millennia etc., and

3)      Shuddha Sattvam.

"SvarUpa" refers to the essential nature of these sentient beings
and non-sentient objects, defined by traits or characteristics,
which are unique and which distinguish beings or objects, from
others in their own class and otherwise. It is important to
distinguish the object from its characteristics, for, very often
they appear to be indistinguishable. For instance, a pot is
inherently different from "Potness" (to coin a word) -- of being
made of mud, being round in shape, being fragile etc. Thus these
characteristics collectively constitute the SvarUpam of the pot.

"Sttithi" indicates the continued existence of these beings and non-
beings. Such existence is of two kinds?Eternal and Ephemeral. Those
beings and objects, which the Lord wills to be eternal, have a
permanent existence. Others, which Bhagavat Sankalpam wills to be
temporary, varying in time from a second to a Yuga, are ephemeral.

The third state Sri Bhashyakara refers to in the aforesaid phrase
from Gadyam is

"Pravritti". This includes action as well as abstention from action,
as indicated by Sri Naamzhwar's words,

"indranar irundanar kidandanar tirindanar

nindrilar irundilar kidandilar tirindilar"

Thus Sri Bhashyakara says that the essential nature, continued
existence and activity of all beings and objects, are entirely
dependent on the Lord and His Will.

We see, hear or learn of things through sources of knowledge, which
are called "PramANAs", which include Sight (Pratyaksham), anumAnam
(Deduction or inference), Shabdam (Vedic Wisdom) etc. These PramANAs
show all the three aforesaid items, viz., SvarUpam, Stitthi and
Pravritti, to be distinctly different in the case of each and every
being or thing.

While revealing a sentient being or a non-sentient object, these
PramANAs show us the Essential Nature (SvarUpa) of the being, its
distinguishing traits and the other qualities of the being, as
defined by its distinctive traits. The Distinctive and unique
Traits, which show up an object to be different from any other, are
known as the "SvarUpa nirUpaka Dharmam", without which we wouldn't
comprehend the essential nature of the object at all. Once we
identify the object to be what it is, with the aid of these unique
traits, the other supplementary characteristics which come to light
thereafter are known as "nirUpita svarUpa visEshaNam".

The Essential nature of an object is always perceived as inseparably
accompanied by the attributes that define it. For instance, it is
impossible to think of a Jasmine, without its principal traits of
fragrance, whiteness and softness.

Having laid a foundation with information about the classes of
beings and objects and their natures, Swami Desikan proceeds next to
describe the nature, attributes and traits of each of the three
concepts, viz., Chit, Achit and Isvara.

(To Continue)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/VkWolB/TM