You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - May 2005

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00026 May 2005

May 2005 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Dear Bhagavatas:
In a mail, Rev. Fr. Clooney (SJ: Society of Jesus) clooney@xxxxxx
who is doing research on Swami Desika?s ?Srimad Rahasya Traya saaram? had
raised a few points.
As I thought you may also be interested, I am forwarding the same with my
replies to him for your information.
Dasoham
Anbil Ramaswamy

1. I have been reading the Rahasya Traya Sara with some students, and
regarding ch.18, Aparadha Parihara, they (and I) have wondered about the
meaning of punah prapatti - if prapatti is a one-time decisive event of
surrender, what is the meaning of the repetition as prayascittam.

Answer:
Prapatti for securing liberation (mOksham) is to be done ONLY ONCE.
Since, we carry our body till death also as a result of our karma
(karmaadeenam) and we are yet subject to the vagaries of the various guNas
(Sattva, RajO and TamO) and Vaasanas (carry over of impressions), even a
Prapanna is likely to commit some indiscretions knowingly or unknowingly.
While those that occur unknowingly will not attach to the Prapanna, those
that occur knowingly will have to be expatiated by one or more of the
following:
?       Feeling remorse
?       Determining not to commit the same again
?       Undergoing what is known as ?Praayaschitta Prapatti? (atonement)
It is to this that Swami Desika refers as ?Punah Prapatti? in the said
Chapter. ?Praayaschitta? Prapatti is NOT for ?MOksham? but to get rid of
sins accumulated in the Post-prapatti period. This is because there should
be a nil balance of Paapa and PuNya at the time of leaving the mortal coil
(DehaavasaanE) to attain ?mOksham?

2. Are both the original prapatti and punah prapatti ritualized in a public
or semi-public fashion, or are they private events?

Answer
As with all ?mantrOpadesams? (Initiation into the esoteric mantras), it has
to be done in private, known as ?a-shat-karNam? which means ?Not five ears).
As there cannot be 5 ears, it boils down to 4 ears, namely 2 of the Achaarya
and 2 of the Sishya.

3. Regarding my own research on the RTS, I would like to meet experts on the
RTS when in Chennai in July-August ? suggestions as to who I should meet?

Answer:
There are too many Acharyas and Scholars in India (to catalogue here) who
can clear all your doubts in this regard. I am arriving at Chennai on 20th
May 2005 and will be proceeding to Srirangam for the release of my next book
?Myths, Miracles and Mysticism in Hinduism? on 8th June 2005. I will be
returning to USA by 8th August 2005. You may contact me at Chennai # 2657
3246, when you come to India. Please let me have your itinerary so we can
coordinate our program to meet with each other. I will introduce you to some
of them.

4. But I am also interested in how the RTS reflects the piety of the
community - how best to learn about how the RTS is significant for
Srivaisnavas today?

Answer:
RTS lays down the norms one should follow (not only SrivaishNavas). As in
any religion, much depends on how people take it in their observance. The
general belief is that one who takes to the study and practice of RTS will
be naturally pious enough. Again, it is in the ?beholder?s eye?!

5. Do you think there is much appreciation of the text in the USA?

Answer:
When I first came to USA in 1987, people in USA (including Indians who had
lost their moorings having left India for long) equated Hinduism with
Buddhism and then on with Adhi Sankara?s Advaitam as the flag staff of our
religion. During the period following, thanks to the efforts of many
SrivaishNava sites and gatherings,(including primarily ?Swami Desika Darsana
Satasangam? and ?Sri Ranga Sri?) people have come to realize the existence
and importance of Bhagavad Ramanuja ? Swami Desika Darsanam, the cardinal
bottom -line of which is this concept of ?Prapatti?. I believe that there
has been an awakening and better appreciation of the concept now. I have
received reports from many who have heard me and read my books that as a
result thereof they had gone back to India and performed at the feet of
Achaaryas ?Prapatti? and report that there has been a sea change in their
attitude and value systems.

I know you devote a considerable section of your Hinduism Reconsidered to
the RTS.
Thanks.

Dasoham
Anbil Ramaswamy