You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - May 2007

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00091 May 2007

May 2007 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SrI:
SrImathE Gopaladesika Mahadesikaya nama:
Dearest all,

Let us continue to enjoy the wonderful sthothra of
Yamunacharya some more.. [from SrI Uttamoor Swami
vyakhyanam]

maatha pithaa yuvathayas thanayaa vibhuthi:
sarvam yadhEva niyamEna mathanva-yaanaam,
aathyasya na: kulabhthEr vagu-Laabhi-raamam
sreemath thathanGgari-yugalam praNa-maami moordhnaa.
[5th verse of Sthothra rathna]

For my vamsam [lineage], the pair of feet which always
are the Mother, Father, the spouses, the children; the
wealth, the bhOgyam (pleasure); those feet of our Kula
pathi Sri NammAzhwAr, wearing magizha maalai (garland
of magizha flowers).. I prostrate to those lotus feet.

I reverently bow down my head to the Feet of the Kula
Pathi [Srivaishnava Kula pathi] SrI SaTakOpar-
NammAzhwAr- that are enchanting with the vakula flower
garland therein [offered in worship to his feet] and
which are eternally our Father, Mother, spouses, son,
wealth and everything to everyone of my Srivaishnava
community..- says Alavandhaar

Mother takes care of us sacrificing all her
pleasures.. moonRu bhuvanatthu porul muRRUm kodutthu
yEnRa vazhipaadhu iyaRRidinum en thaay oru naaL
vaLartthathaRkku iyaiayAvE... says one tamil poet ..
Even if one pays back the three worlds at the feet of
one?s mother, it does not equate to one day of her
taking care of us.. so great are they. Father takes us
in his arms, teaches us, disciplines us..in our
childhood. During youth and later, the spouse takes
care of us like the mother and father and is loving,
caring ..

At old age and even after death, the children pave the
way for alleviating pains (with pithru tharpaNam..)

Sri NammAzhwAr stood in all these places as bandhus
and bhOgam as well for my lineage (meaning right from
nathamuni- janma vamsam and vidhyA vamsam). He is our
Kula pathi (Srivaishnava kula pathi) for having
initiated and blessed my grand father Sri Nathamuni
with jnAnam and also with the unparalleled his
Thiruvaymozhi and also other AzhwAr?s pasurams the
entire 4000. He performed Prapatti at the Lord?s
Sriya: Pathi Sriman Narayanan?s lotus feet
[agalagillEn iEaium enRu] and showed SrIman nAThamuni
the path of Saranagathi and instructed him for passing
to the vamsam. He [SrI NammAzhwAr] is thus the
prapanna jana santhAna kUTashthar.

Every Acharya for having taught many sishyas various
sampradaic granthas and initiated could become
Kulapathi in due course. The first and foremost among
them is our NammAzhwAr and His lotus feet are to be
worshipped. I bow down to is feet.

What is so great about his feet? VibhEsshaNan,
Gajendran, Lakshmanan et al are blessed with the SrI
prefix to their names due to their kaimkarya SrI and
they longed for Bhagavad Kaimkaryam. Our NammAzhwAr
too longed and languished for the same; Ozhivil
kaalamellAm udanaay manni vazhuvilaa adimai seyya
vENdum naam? says AzhwAr.. Going to Dhivya Desams
alone should be one?s wealth ? AzhwAr says:
eyythiLaippadhan munnam adaiminO? ; Thus he blessed us
with very many verses; The Lord Adhipiraan being
pleased with his verse, blessed NammAzhwAr with the
makizh maalai [vakuLa maalai] that He had worn for his
chest; and sishyas and devotees of NammAzhwAr seeing
this, followed suit, and offered garland of vakuLa
flowers at the feet of NammAzhwAr; Thus the feet ?
wearing magizha maalai (garland of magizha flowers)..
I prostrate to those lotus feet.

I had bowed down to SrI nAThamuni first; Now I bow
down to the feet of NammAzhwAr with maanasa, vachaka,
kaayika prostration and hence is termed as praNAmams.

For AzhwAr, the mother, father, spouse, and everything
is KaNNan; [uNNum sORu, parugum neer, thinnum veRRilai
ellAm kaNNan] and for us his feet are the same? all
sukhams are in these feet; the immersing in AzhwAr
alone is enough for us; Not even that; just immerse
yourself in His Feet; that is adequate. Because His
feet are none other than the Acharyas from SrIman
nAthamuni?

Ya yEva[AzhwAr who]- was not mentioned by Sri
Alavandhar; yadhEva ? was mentioned in the verse- that
which is- i.e. the feet alone is referred to in this
verse. His CharaNam alone is SaraNam for us; In the
temples, the Lord?s lotus feet are to be addressed as
SrI SaTAri [Sri SatakOpam- i.e. NammAzhwar]. During
the period of Alavandhar, NammAzhwAr dhivya mangala
vigraham had vakuLa maalai at his feet and were
worshipped - it is told...

Our NammAzhwAr has always been the most favourite for
Sri RamAnujA , Sri vEdAntha dEsikA, Sri PiLLai
lOkAchAryA, Periyavaacchaan PiLLai, Sri
MaNavaaLa maamunigaL and all Great seers of
visishtAdvaita, till the AchAryAs of present times.

More of AzhwAr glories tomorrow
AzhwAr ThiruvaDigaLE SaraNam
Regards
Namo narayana