You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Nov 2002

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00068 Nov 2002

Dear Bhagavatas:
A Bhagavata has raised the following doubt on Swami Desika?s
?Nyasa Dasakam?.

In Sloka 3, Swami Desika uses the word ?Swayam? nine times to emphasize that it is PerumaaL who does everything and NOT the Jeeva.

Swaami: He being the Lord
SwasEsham: Makes one Subservient
Swavasam: Makes one dependent on Him
SwabharatvEna nirbharam: Takes upon Himself the burden of protection thus relieving one?s burden of protecting oneself
Swadatta: By means of what He Himself has bestowed
Swadhiya: By means of Knowledge about Himself
Swaartham: For His own pleasure
Swasmin: To Himself
Swayam: By Himself
Maam nyasyati: Surrenders me (jeevan)

This being so, why does Swami use repeatedly words like -
?aham?, ?madh rakshaNabharam? and ?madh RakshaNa phalam? (Sloka 1)
?nyasyaami?(Sloka 2)
?maam? (Sloka 3)
?asmi? and ?maam? Sloka 4)
?maam? (Sloka 5)
?maam? (Sloka 6)
?maam?, ?madeeyam? ?aatmakam? (Sloka 7)
?mama? (Sloka 8)
?Mey? (Sloka 9)
?madh rakshaNa bharaarpaNam? and ?atO aham? (Sloka 10)

When the Budha: (One who has understood the Tattva Traya) is bereft of ?Aham kaara?(I-ness) and ?Mama kaara? (mine-ness) and has nothing to claim as his / her own, where is the question of requesting the Lord to take over ?maam? (me), ?madheeyam?(mine) and ?nikhilam chEtana achetanas *aatmakam*?(all sentient and insentient entities *belonging to me*) etc.

Swami must have used these words with a purpose. Can knowledgeable Scholar explain what significance these expressions have in the contexts in which they have been used? Please be brief and to the point in your reply.
Thanks
Dasoham
Moderator

Home Page