From: "M K Srinivasan" <m.k.srinivasan@xxxx>
To: "Anbil K Ramaswamy" <ramanbil@xxxx>
Subject: (No Subject)
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2002 01:14:33 +0530

Dear Sri Ramaswamy,
Last weekend we had been to Grand Canyon. An awe-inspiring sight, grand like Himalayas. There, I was intrigued to find sites referred to as Vishnu temple, Brahma temple and Siva temple etc.

There was a location called "Vishnu Schist" at the very bottom of the Canyon, several thousand feet deep. Can you tell what these places signify?

In Ramayana, there is a reference to the sixty thousand sons of king Sagara digging deep into the earth in search of the Aswamedha sacrificial horse and reaching Patala and finding Kapila Muni (incarnation of Vishnu) who cursed them to ashes for having disturbed his penance.

Incidentally, some years back one scholar had done some research in the Indian-sounding names abroad and had said that California is a transposition of Kapila-aranya, the forest of Kapila maharshi!

Then, schist means a "split rock". Does this have any significance? Can you or any of your friends clarify whether there is any link between the Ramayana episode and the Canyon names?

Yours sincerely,
M.K.Srinivasan

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia