You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Nov 2002

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00100 Nov 2002

Dear Sriman Kannan,
Jai Srimannarayana !
Keeping aside doing harm to fellow creatures in adopting
non-vegetarianism, it must be noted that indiscriminate consumption of
food is anyhow harming ourselves body and soul. Human beings are not
born to control proliferation of every other being just by eating
them. The food we eat is responsbile both for our growth as well as
our decay, just as water can make us survive or kill like
drought/floods. Everybody knows how oneself undergoes though to his
dislike every moment various uncontrollable emotions like anger, greed,
reactions to dwandas/duels like joys/sorrows, heat/cold,
happiness/unhappiness, gains/losses and finally the everlasting lust
etc. These emotions needs to be controlled one day or the other. Our
sastras, itihaas, puranas suggest control of inputs to our senses is the
only way out. These inputs (not only in the form of food but inputs to
other senses like ears, eyes, nose and touch) are classified as those
promoting Sattvic/Rajas/Tamas and the details of these intake are
explicitly dealt in Srimadbhagawadgita (Chapter 17).

If we recognize the unbearable hardships we face from all the
sense organs including its king the mind (Manas), we will certainly
like to avoid all the Rajasic and Tamasic inputs with full faith, just
as a terminally ill patient totally sticks to all the restrictions put
by his doctor without questioning to avoid the pain. Thus our sastras
and acharyas not only categorized non-veg items but also many vegetarian
items which promote Rajas/Tamas like onions, garlic, drumstick, gongur,
old food, etc. and other foods which are not offered to Lord
Srimannarayana. Thus a Mumukshu who realizes the pains of duality from
the senses, at once rejects all the rajasic/tamasic food in addition to
sticking to the Tiruvadi of Acharya/Emperuman/Emperumanaar without any
second thought.

Simple rules of food our acharyas say all should know are
What to eat ?
When to eat ?
Where to eat ?
How to eat ?