You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Nov 2003

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00064 Nov 2003

>From: thehindu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: Article from The Hindu: Sent to you by Shreyas Sarangan Date: Fri,
>14 Nov 2003 19:08:30 +0530

>This article has been sent to you by Shreyas Sarangan  (
>sarangan__@xxxxxxxxxxxxx )
>Source: The Hindu
>(http://www.hinduonnet.com/fr/2003/11/14/stories/2003111401360600.htm)
>

>Spiritual mentor and administrator
>

>ONE OF the highly commended instruments of Vaishnavism has been the Acharya
>parampara. These teacher-dynasties have imparted to their disciples a rare
>value-based spiritual education. Apart from conveying the philosophy of
>Srivaishnavism, they have taught generations how to approach the literature
>of Vaishnavism and also the observance of the disciplined life of an ideal
>householder of the faith.
>
>Among such acharyas in recent times, Sri Krishna Thathayarya Mahadesikan of
>Kanchipuram deserves special homage. Popularly known as Tirupputkuzhi
>Swami, he was born 180 years ago and was Mudhal Teerthakar at the Devaraja
>Temple in Kanchipuram. As a direct disciple of Srimad Periandavan of
>Srirangam, he mastered Srivaishnava theology and wrote works on
>Nyayasastra, Vedanta and Mimamsa. A doyen among logicians of his time, he
>worsted Rama Sastri of Mysore on the theme of the term Narayana denoting
>the Supreme, by writing "Paramukha Chapetika". He even wrote a work on
>music. His unwavering admiration for Vedanta Desikar led to his detailed
>commentaries on the Acharya's Nyaya Parisuddhi and Nyaya Siddhanjana.
>
>Nor did he confine himself to mere scholarship. His administrative
>abilities led him to renovate the Sri Vedanta Desika shrine at Thooppul in
>Kanchipuram. During his time the temple had been closed for quite a few
>years and was almost in ruins. As a Srivaishnavite and staunch follower of
>Vedanta Desika's writings, the Swami gathered a few devotees and set about
>clearing the place and reinstating the worship of the Acharya's image in
>the temple.
>
>This was not relished by some members of the community belonging to the
>Tenkalai sect, and a case was filed against the Swami for illegal
>occupation of the shrine. The case came up for hearing in the Chingleput
>Court. There was a very big crowd of Vadakalai supporters of the Swami, but
>they were requested not to come in, by the Swami's lawyer. The other sect
>filled the room. However, when the Swami entered the courtroom, all the
>assembled Vaishnavas got up. When asked by the English Judge why they were
>all showing such courtesy to the accused, the assemblage said that the
>Swami happened to be their Acharya. The Judge gave a ruling that since he
>was himself an eye-witness to the incident, he was sure the Swami who
>commanded such an impressive number of disciples should not be harassed and
>that he should be allowed to continue the renovation of the Desikar shrine.

> [...]

MSN Messenger with backgrounds, emoticons and more.
http://www.msnmessenger-download.com/tracking/cdp_customize

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/VkWolB/TM