You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Nov 2003

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00069 Nov 2003

Dear friends and fellow-"vedadhyAyin-s" of Kuwait,

Below is a post that appeared in
Srirangasri@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx yesterday. Reading it will
make us all really proud! The UNESCO has declared the
Chanting of Vedas to be a priceless "intangible
heritage" of the world!

We as Vedic students, living and working here in a
land outside India, are trying in our own humble way
to learn Vedic chanting. We are indeed blessed! All
the time and effort that we as a group have spent
these past 2/3 years surely have been worthwhile! When
we started, all of us indeed resolved rightly! We must
understand that we have truly gained an "intangible"
wealth of inestimable value... "veda-dhanam"! ... as
even the UNESCO now seems to have recognized and
attests!

Let us all celebrate! We have every reason to!

Regards,
dAsan,
Sudarshan

http://pib.nic.in/archieve/lreleng/lyr2003/rnov2003/11112003/r1111200311.html

> PARIS, FRANCE, November 12, 2003: The oral tradition
> of Vedic chanting has been declared an intangible
> heritage of humanity by UNESCO. In a meeting of jury
> members on November 7, 2003, at Paris, Mr. Koichiro
> Matsuura, Director-General of UNESCO, declared the
> chanting of Vedas in India an outstanding example of
> heritage and form of cultural expressions. The
> proclamation says that in the age of globalization
> and modernization when cultural diversity is under
> pressure, the preservation of oral tradition of
> Vedic chanting, a unique cultural heritage, has
> great significance.
> The jury members included Dr. Richard Kurin,
> Director of the Center for Folklore and Cultural
> Heritage of the Smithsonian Institution (United
> Nations), Mr. Juan Goytisolo, Writer (Spain), Mr.
> Yoshikazu Hasegawa (Japan), Ms. Olive W.M. Lewin.
> Pianist, ethnomusicologist, Director of the Jamaica
> Orchestra for Youth (Jamaica).
> The UNESCO declaration will bring international
> recognition to the excellence of the Vedic chanting
> tradition of India, which has survived for centuries
> encoding the wisdom contained in the Vedas through
> an extraordinary effort of memorization and through
> elaborately worked out mnemonic methods. The purity
> and fail-safe technique devised for Vedic chanting
> in the olden days led to access to one of the
> ancient literatures of humanity in its entirety
> today.
> The Department of Culture, Ministry of Tourism and
> Culture, took the initiative to put up the
> candidature of the Vedic chanting to UNESCO. A
> presentation was prepared by Indira Gandhi National
> Centre for Arts. The Department has also prepared a
> five-year action plan to safeguard, protect, promote
> and disseminate the oral tradition of Vedas in terms
> of their uniqueness and distinctiveness, encourage
> scholars and practitioners to preserve, revitalize
> and promote their own branch of Vedic recitation as
> the custodians of their own traditions and direct
> the efforts primarily to making the tradition
> survive in its own context.
> --------

Yahoo! India Mobile: Download the latest polyphonic ringtones.
Go to http://in.mobile.yahoo.com

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/VkWolB/TM