You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Nov 2003

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00125 Nov 2003

SrI:
SrImathE Nigamantha Mahadesikaya namah:
SrImAn venkatanAthAryaH kavitArkika kesarI |
vedAntAcArya-varyo me sannidhattAm sadA hRdi ||

May the glorious Venkatanatha, the greatest of teachers of Vedanta, and the
lion among poets and debaters, reside forever in my heart.

Dearest Srivaishnavas,
Let us continue to enjoy the greatest work of Swamy- which is Padhuka
sahasram- 1008 verses on PadhukA- THE PADHUKA SAHASRAM is a wonderful POEM
written by Swamy Vedantha Desikan on the sandals of Lord Sri Ranganatha of
Srirangam. It contains 1008 slokas. As Sri Azhagiya Manavala perumAL Nayanar
(younger brother of SrI Pillai lokAchArya) and Sri Vedantha Desikan were
worshipping Lord SrI Ranganathan at Srirangam, both were enjoying the divine
beauty of the Lord. The former was attracted by the beauty of the Lotus Feet
of the Lord and wished to praise the same. Sri Vedantha Desikan wished to
praise the Lord's pAdhukAs. It appears Swamy Desikan felt that the Lord of
Srirangam was saying that it is not enough that the sarva tantra
svathanthrar had composed BhU Sthuthi , Sri Sthuthi , YathirAja Sapthathi et
al, but he has to compose a sthuthi on Swami
NammAzhwAr , His paadhukhai. Thus arose the illustrious SatakOpa sthuthi
known as " PaadhukhA Sahasram ". Sri Azhagiya Manavala PerumAL Nayanar was
going to compose a grantham to be named " Padha Kamala Sahasram ". Swami
Desikan went ahead and completed in record time, a sthuthi on the PaadhukA
of the Lord, i.e. Swami NammAzhwAr .

Swamy Desikan composed the 1008 slokAs on PadhukAs in just about 3 hours
time (one yaamam) while it takes about 6 hours for us to recite the entire
1008 slokAs. The Padhuka sahasram could be considered as a kaavyam only for
the name; however it is better referred to as sthOthram. It is divided into
32 divisions called paddhathis. The names of these paddhathis themselves are
quite significant. PdhukA is called SrI Satajith SaTakOpa that is
NammAzhwAr. PAdhukA is NammAzhwAr himself (sloka 23, 30)- says Swamy
Desikan. it is not the four letter NA RA YA NA which is great; It is RA MA
NU JA which is greater; It is SA TA KO PA which is even greater.. Thus,
AchArya is greater than the Lord.. as declared firmly and assertively by
Swamy Desikan in Paadhuka Sahasram. Swamy desikan has said elsewhere
"AchAryAdhiha dEvathAm samadhikAm anyaama namanyAmahE.."

We are reminded here of the message from Mettu Azhagiyasinghar at Srirangam
during Kambhan's inauguration of Kambha RaamAyaNam . Sri Lakshmi Nrusimhan
stopped Kambhan and asked him first to compose SatakOpa AnthAdhi and then
get on with his inauguration .  Such is the affection of our PerumAl for His
Thiruvadi (SatAri Soori ).Just as Sriman NaarAyaNan's Paadhukai is Sri
satAri (NammAzhwAr ), Kuruhoor Nampi's Paadhkhai is Madhura Kavi ,
RaamAnujA's paadhukai is udaliyANdAn , Swami Desikan's Paadhukai is
NayinArAchAryan , we are Paadhukais ( Thiruvadis ) of our respective
AchAryAs.

At many places in paadhukhA sahasram , Swami Desikan celebrates the
sambhandham of his grantham with that of Srimadh Vaalmiki RaamAyanam . The
Upanishads describe 32 ways to worship Sriman NaarAyaNan . Swami Desikan has
helped us with 32 ways (Paddhathis )to worship the Lord's Paadhukhais,Swami
NammazhwAr. This is described in the PrabhAva paddhathi wher AdhisEshan,
GarudA, the Gemset foot stool and PadhuKAs are said to be respected in the
world. Yet, it is the PAdhukAs that are most respected by receiving them
when placed on the head (slokA 58). In the SamarpaNa paddhathi, the pAdhukA
is said to be more glorious than Rama Himself, as Bharatha wanted the
pAdhukAs for administration of the Raajyam (78).

The Lord was able to measure the regions in a moment's time only by wearing
PadhukA and thus he won the name  Urukrama (281 slokA). Fomration of
pictorial designs is illustrated in various kinds in slokAs 911-970 in the
30 th paddhathi called Chithra paddhathi. It is an excellent paddhathi and
even one who does not sanskrit will relish the rhythmic slokAs; though the
slokAs contain very deep, esoteric meanings. How ThUppul PiLLai wrote such
GREAT slOkas in thousand in such short time!. After all, VishNu GaNTAvataar
is He.. Unique powers of poetic imagery are revealed by Swamy Desikan in
describing the gems set in the PadhukA and their jingling sounds produced
when they move on. It is no exaggeration to admit that the AchArya had made
full use of his poetic talents in this poem. AchArya's poetic genius shine
with matchless skill.

(Sri Muralidhar Rangaswamy Swamin and Sri V Satakopan Swamin have been
writing every day on each slokA of this PadhukA sahasram for our enjoyment).

You may browse at the excellent web site created by SrI Achutharaman Swamy
on PAdhuka Sahasram.

(The above write up is from the extracts from Sri A. Srinivasaraghavachariar
Swamy's book, SrI VN Vedantha Desikan Swamy's book and Sri Satakopan
Swamin's write up. )

I am also giving an extract from our Sri Satakopan Swamin?s write up on one
slOkam in Chithra paddhathi of PadhukA sahasram: (Thanks to Sri Satakopan
swamin for his permission)

933rd slOkam

paapaadhapaa paadhapaapaaa paadhapaa dhadhapaadhapaa I
dhapaadhapaa paadhpaadha paadhapaa dhadhapaadhapaa II

What a marvel! Stops have to be made at the right places when reciting it.

The words (padhams ) that come out of the above conglomeration of letters A
,Aa, pa and dha are :

paapAth (5) apApAth (6)) , apApA (1)
apAdhapaadhadhapaadhapaa(2) ,
dhapaa dhapaa paadhapaadha paadhapaa (4)
and dhadhapaadhapaa (3).

The numbers behind the split of the words formed from the letters A, Aa , pa
and dha are indicative of the sequence in the order of prosody (anvaya
Kramam )of this verse : apaapaa(1)
apaadhapaadhadhapaadhapaa(2)dhadhapaadhapaa(3) dhapaa dhapaa paadhapaadha
paadhapaa(4)
paapaadh(5) apApAth (6).

apaapaa(1)= one free from sins (paapam and apApam)/(1)

A=akAra Vaachya VishNu BhagavAn's         {2}
paadha= at His sacred feet                {2}
paadha = of the rays/kathir               {2}
paa=that pair of feet storing the power of-
those rays for our protection             {2}

dhadha =in the case of those , who offer unto Him ,
AchAryAs , who place the Jeevan at the feet of the Lord through Prapatthi
(3)
paath=that which protects (3)
apaa=that which is in the form of abhshEka jalam(3)
dha = of protction(4)
paadha = which it is capable of realizing(4)
paapa=of sin (4)
adha= that which removes(4)
paadha =those feet of VishNu( RanganaathA )/(4)
paadhapaa = those paadhukhAs that protect such sacred pair of feet of the
Lord (4)
paapAth = from sins(5)
apaapapaath= they saved me from my sins )/(6)

It is a profound construction to say the least . One can not but marvel at
the genius of this great AchAryan . Sound and meaning are tightly coupled to
celebrate the mahimai of Sri Ranganatha PaadhukhAs .

The chithra Bhandham is like this:

paa paa dha paa paa dha paa paa
paa dha paa dha dha paa dha paa
dha paa dha paa paa dha paa dha
paa dha paa dha dha paa dha paa
paa dha paa dha dha paa dha paa
dha paa dha paa paa dha paa dha
paa dha paa dha dha paa dha paa
paa paa dha paa paa dha paa paa

The English letters for the first P in Sanskrit alphabets and the fifth D
(as in Daya ,GOdhA) makes the above bhandham look like a rectangle. When the
Sanskrit words are used , it will look like a 8X8 Square instead of like a
rectangle as shown above .When you check against rows and columns in the
above Chithra Bhandham , we come across a world of additional meanings .
Sabdha Chithram ( sound pictures for the audio memory ), Artha Vaachya
chithram ( images based on special meanings ) are evoked through this
mathematical (geometrical ) structures (slOkams). It is a source of endless
mystery about the glories of the Lord , His AchAryAs ( paadhukhais),when we
reflect on the individual slOkams of Swami Desikan's master piece of a
KhAvyam , Sri Ranganaatha PaadhukhA Sahasram .

Essential Meaning of this slOkam :

The paadhukhAs of the Lord are sinless. ( the sadhAchAryAs /NammAzhwAr and
his successors are sinless ). The paadhukhAs protect the lustre of the
eternal jIvans , who are part of the akhila Tanu, Sriman NaarAyaNan ( Sri
Rangan ). They protect the Lord's feet as well , the sacred feet , which
destroy the sins of the jIvans . These PaadhukhAs protect further those ,
who bathe them and partake that Thirumanjana theertham . Swami Desikan
states that he has  been protected by the PaadhukhAs of the Lord and the Sri
Paadha-PaadhukhA Theertham and made sinless.

Additional meanings:

The divya paadhukhAs through their generosity, DayA and vaatsalyam bless one
with all auspiciousness , when approached with reverence .Further they
protect the Lord's feet because of its wonderful love ( prEmAdhisayam) ,
which is the only upAyam for the ujjIvanam of the jIva rAsis . It serves as
a shield against thorns et al during the Lord's sanchArams . It removes the
paapa raasis of the sajAthiyAL
out of immense compassion for them and restores in them the enjoyment of the
Lord ( Bhagavadh anubhavam ). It recognizes that the Lord being up in Sri
Vaikuntam does not help the
Jivaraasis here and brings Him on its back here amidst us to LeelA VibhUthi
and gives us
the Jn~Ana chakshus through manthrOpadEsams to us to see Him and His
splendor here . Since it( Paadhukha) is equivalent to the Lord in its glory
( AchArya PrabhAvam ), it (the PaadhukhAs ) illuminate the Lord's Thiruvadi
further and blesses us with Sri Paadha theertham and removes our ajn~Anam
and destroys our sins completely .It becomes the AasrayaNam to reach the
Lord and to receive His anugraham .

AchAryAs are avathAra purushAs and thru their prEmai, kAruNyam for us
establish clearly the parathvam of the Lord for us , clear our minds about
the confusion caused by kumathis , who are virOdhis to VedAntha Saasthra
nirUpitha tattvArthams and rescue us . They give us the pramANams from the
Sri Sookthis of AzhwArs and are bent on removing the paapa raasis of the
jIvaraasis , while being
sinless themselves . They bless those , who help them in their Bhagavadh
AarAdhanam through the prasAdham of the Sri Paadha theetham of the Lord and
sanctify us. They thus remove our
paapams and anishtams .That is what they (AchAryAs/ Divya MaNi PaadhukhAs )
represent and do .

The above is by Sri Satakopan mama.

All such Greatest slOKAs in just 3 hours is simply the GRANDEST work ever in
the world. ?na bhUthO na bhavishyathi.. We will see Paramapadhavaasi Sri
Seva Swamy?s anubhavam now.
(only few paragraphs from his article are translated):

The most wonderful creation of the most wonderful AchAryan is PadhukA
sahasram. There can be hundreds of poets born in the world or yet to be
born. None would have created such a poem. No one can deny that this
(PadhukA sahasram) is the creation with wonders. The pAdhukAs, which do not
have any thing in them for being talked about even, have been sung in such
great glories and praises, discovered by Swamy Desikan in PadhukAs. It
caught the entire gamut of Poets spellbound. Even VishwakarmA gets stunned
at the way it is created in one yaamam of night (yaamam- three hours).
Creation is adhbutham; the way it is created is adbhutham;

In Naadha paddhathi, Swamy does not hide from us a Rahasyam (secret). Latter
part of the night, Swamy with Bhagawath niyamanam (at the command of the
Lord) takes pledge (sankalpam) and performs saathvIka thyAgam to start
Paadhuka sahasram. He starts: santha:? jayanthi? The Divya Dampathi, who are
having Their ?kaLLa? nithrA (Yoga nithrA) wake up.. They wonder as to what
and how it is going to happen. They are curious. The Sarvasakthan; Sarvagnan
Lord Ranganathan Himself is taken aback. ?ThUppul PiLLai was sleeping;
Suddenly, he has started off now. How is he going to finish 1008..? Feels it
may be difficult (even for Rangan).

The way the poems sprung out of Swamy, the pAdhukAs are excited and start
their beat to take count of slOkAs- Why? (asks Swamy Desikan). That beat-
Swamy listens and composes that also in a slOkA. Nithrayaa dhUramuktha: (How
can They and paadhukAs get sleep?) It is similar to parents being unable to
sleep the night before the son?s most difficult competitive exam..  These
parensts are maathaa dEvi thvamasi Bhagawaan VaasudEva: pithA mE.. jaathas
sOham janani yuvayO: Eka lakshyam.. Swamy himself had written in SrISthuthi.

Even pAdhukAs think- How is he going to praise me that can not be praised by
anyone.. So, when Swamy started with a grand gala opening Santha: it strated
counting with excitement and happiness. Padhyaarambhaan gaNayasi.. If
someone is asked to count, they may slip and hence paadhukAs do not want to
take risk. .. swair ninaadhai: What a BEAUTY!

ANNan Swamy (Sri Prathivaathi bhayankaram ANNan Swamy) in his Sapthathi
rathnamaalikA refers to paadhukA sahasram as ?PaadhukA sthuthi sahasram?.
Meaning, in each slokam, it is thousand praises for paadhukAs - says ANNAn
Swamy proudly. For Ranganathan, there are few hundered slOkas. For His
paadhukAs, have 1000 soThrAs, each one with thousands of meanings. What
AchArya bhakthi! PaadhukA sthuthi sahasram ajasram..

Swamy Desikan always likes the simili of sugar and milk.. kshIram sarkara
yEva..yaapirabruthak bhUtha: prabhUthai guNai:.. In Dasaavathaara sthothram,
Swamy says, KrsihNan and Balaraaman are like sugar and milk ? more tasty
when combined. Here, in PaadhukA sahasram, Swamy says: the Thiruvadi (Lotus
Feet) of the Lord and His Sandals (PadhukAs) are like Sugar and milk.
Together, they are tastier for our eyes..

rangEswarasya yadhidham maNi paadharakshE!
paadhaaravindha yugaLam bhavathIsamEtham
pumsaamupOshithAvilOchana paaraNArham
kshIram thadhEthadhiha sarkarayaa samEtham.. (984)

Swamy desikan calls himself mandha buddhi (dull headed) (sloka 1002) after
singing paadhuka sahasram.. similar to VedhAntha dEsika padhE vinivEsya
baalam (in daya sathakam). What can we say about this! In hundred, there was
saahasam; in thousand, here is saahasam. In both, he calls himself humbly as
mandha buddhE and baalam.. (child).

One can sing about pAdhukAs in thousands (like Swamy Desikan did). One can
never sing in praise of Swamy?s paadhukA sahasra sthOthram..My whole janmam
(birth) is blessed with the ArAdhanam to you ? says Swamy Desikan to
PaadhukAs (dhanya janmaa- 997th slOkam).

In 1000th sloka, Swamy plays with words very beautifully: Rangam:
Nruttharangam, antharangam; Due to HayagrIvan (Nruthurangan)?s anugraham
(grace), I am blessed to sing in praise of you, paadhukE! So far, it has
been Srirangam; now it has become bhArathI nruttharangam! Great!
RangaasthAnam rasikamahitham- (in BhagavadhyAna sOpAnam).

The translation of 1000 th slokA is thus:

Oh Paaduka! You are wont to concede the opportunity, to the consorts Sri and
Bhoomi, who feel they are subservient to You, of privately serving the
Lord's Feet, by subjugating Your own desire to serve the Lord, say in a
stroll, to their longing. I am Your subservient. You ought to grant me too,
the opportunity of privately rendering service to those Holy Feet ! You will
do it, I know. You have enabled me to complete this work and become the
instrument of making this Ranga a stage for Saraswati to dance in delight on
hearing this work. (from Dr VNV Swamin?s book)

The slokA 936 is yet another marvel.

Yaayaayaayaa yaayaayaayaa yaayaayaayaa yaayaayaayaa
Yaayaayaayaa yaayaayaayaa yaayaayaayaa yaayaayaayaa

Just one letter ?yaa? Swamy completed the whole slOkA (at least we can say-I
know one slOkA of PaadhukA sahasram by heartJ ; But, even such simple GRAND
slOka has deep meanings:
Translation of this sloka is:

That Paaduka,
which collected revenue, being in the throne,
which ensures the auspices for the devotees,
which is the benefactor of True Wisdom on the devotees,
which kindles a yearning for the good things of life (which makes
the devotee look to itself as the Supreme Deity).
Which wipes out enemies (also the sins of the devotees).
Which after attaining to the Lord's feet, is for His travels,
Which helps bring the Lord to us, and which is the Supreme
Aid for the jivas reaching the Highest Goal, that Paaduka has
the distinction of solely being for the Lord.

If one places all 1007 slOkas on a balance, the 1008th slokA will outweigh
the other 1007 slOkas- Says Sevaa Swamy. Such greatest slOka is 1008th.

Jayathi yathirAja sUkthi: jayathi mukundhasya paadhukaayugaLI |
ThadhubhayadhanAsthrivEdhIm avandhyayanthO jayanthi puvi santha:

The great works like Sri Bhashyam of Ramanuja shine forth excellently. The
Paaduka-Duet of Ranganatha, who is the Moksha- grantor shines forth in great
lustre. (The works of Azhvar,
who represents the Paaduka, hold forth in great glee). Sadhus, who cherish
as their wealth the two above, who also make the Vedic mandates really
authoritative, they following the Vedas
implicitly, shine in the world with gusto ! (translation from Sri VNV
Swamin?s book)

Swamy Desikan brings the glories of SRI Bhashyam here. SrI Sevaa Swamy
quoets from Sri Annan Swamy?s Sapthathi rathnamaalikA..

Jayathi YathirAja sUkthi: Swamy also says: Jayathi mukundhasya
paadhayugaLI.. Then Swamy says thrivEdhIm.. ? Then, Santha: Jayanthi?
Bahuvachanam (plural).. What a great poem! Sevaa Swamy rejoices..Also the
Santha Jayanthi PadhukA Sahasram (that started with in first sloka) ends
with Jayanthi santha: Similar to Thiruvaymozhi.. piRandhaar uyardnhE..

Thus, this paadhuKA sahasram, is it on par with Sri Bhashyam? Or with
Thiruvaymozhi.. or Sath sampradayam itself? Let us enjoy wondering at its
marvel! ? Sevaa Swamy admires.

likyEtha paadhukA prabhAva: na likyEtha paadhukA sahasra prabhAva: (One can
write about the glories of PaadhukA; But never about the padhukA sahasram)-
says Sevaa Swamy.
Swamy Desikan ThiruvadigaLE SaraNam
Regards
Namo narayana
dAsan
kavi-tArkika-simhAya kalyANa-guNa-SAline |
Srimate venkateSAya vedAntagurave namaH ||

Salutations to Sri Venkatesa, in whom all perfections reside, who is the
teacher of Vedanta and the lion among poets and debaters

Take a break! Find destinations on MSN Travel. http://www.msn.com.sg/travel/

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/VkWolB/TM