You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Nov 2006

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00102 Nov 2006

SrI:
SrImathE Ramanujaya namah:

Dearest all

EmperumAnAr himself praises those sishyas sometimes
and hence one need not have any doubts on their
capabilities- says Amudhanar.

thannaiyuR Raatcheyyum thanmaiyi NnOr,mannu
thaamaraiththaaL
thannaiyuR Raatcheyya ennaiyuR RaaninRu than_thakavaal
thannaiyuR RaaranRith thanmaiyuR Raarillai enRaRinthu
thannaiyuR Raarai iraamaa Nnuchan_guNam chaaRRitumE.
97

there are some who take refuge at my feet; even then,
there are none who sing in praise of those who hold
onto my feet; - thought EmperumAnAr. They do not know
of anything else except serving the lotus feet of
Ramanuja; they do not desire for anything else. It is
because of EmeprumAnAr?s unbounded and limitless daya
on me, with parama krupai, he has enabled me to serve
those mahaans who have taken refuge at the feet of
Ramanuja.

Iraamaanusan ? Ramanuja
thannai utru AL seyyum thanmayinOr- those who
desirously hold onto the feet [of Ramanuja] and by
their very nature serve him;
mannu thaamarai thaaL thannai uRRu- holding onto
lovingly and reverently  the lotus feet [of Ramanuja
whose only objective is Asritha rakshaNam]
AL Seyya inRu uytthanan- Today he has enabled me to
serve his ardent prime sishyar in his presence itself
than thagavaal- Due to abundant grace and parama
krupai;
thanni utraar anRi ? other than those who have taken
refuge at my feet
thanmai uRRaar illai- there are none else who realize
that serving the servant of Acharyan is equally, if
not more gratifying
enRu aRindhu- realizing that, and in order to grant
such capacity to others
thannai uRRarai to those mahaans who are his sishyas
guNam saaRRidumE- he publicly praises their greatest
Athma guNas and their scholarship, jnAna, vairgAya
anushtAnams.

AmudanAr salutes the generous and compassionate
quality
of RamAnujA here. The AcharyA was concerned that the
bhakthAs in their enthusiasm for offering prapatthi to
him directly did not fully comprehend the greatness of
his disciples , who had performed prapatthi to him .
These are AchAryAs like KurEsa, Kurhai PirAn, Madai
paLLI aacchAn, EmbAr, et al . RamAnujA suggested that
Bhattar offer prapatthi to EmbAr instead of to him or
to his father KurEsa to deflect the light and to let
that shine on the glory of EmbAr . Similarly the proud
PiLLai AzhwAn was instructed to offer praptthi to
Kuresar .

If that is the case, why did Ranauja let Amudhanaar
sing all these verses on Ramanuja? He could have asked
him to sing on Kuresa. The reason is: Kuresa would not
have perhaps accepted. Also, AzhwAr Acharya glories
are first sung and then their bhaktha, sishya,
abhimaani Ramanuja?s greatness is referred to. Kuresa
must been immensely pleased in the first place. Hence,
these 108 verses on Ramanuja.

SaasthrAs state that we should broadcast the glory of
our AcharyAs( Gurum Prakaasayeth ) . A compassionate
AcharyA however celebrates his dear disciples and
speaks of their glories too ! RamAnuja instructed
AmudanAr to offer Prapatthi to KurEsa instead of to
him directly for the purpose of reminding others of
KurEsA's glorious accomplishments and AchArya Bhakthi.

EmperumAnAr ThiruvaDigaLE SaraNam
Regards
Namo Narayana
dAsan