You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Nov 2007

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00004 Nov 2007

SrI:
SrImathE Gopaladesika Mahadesikaya nama:

Dearest All,

AzhwAr pours out his grief for not being able to enjoy
the Kutti KaNNan (in Devaki?s role). He cries out
through the media of Devaki by simulating emotions
motherly tenderness to the child.

AzhwAr feels (in the Devaki role) : You have got
mothers [yasodha and puthanai] ; I am useless mother
to You

vancha mEviya nenchutaip pEychchi
varaNtu naarn^aram pezhakkarin^ thukka
nancha maar_tharu suzhimulai yanthO
suvaitthu neeyaruL seythu vaLarnthaay
kanchan naaLkavar karumuki lenthaay
kataippat tEnveRi thEmulai sumanthu
thancha mElonRi lEnuynthi runthEn
thakka thEn^alla thaayaippeR RaayE      7.10

The demon Putanai came to you with a mind to kill You
with her posison smeared breastmilk; She came to cheat
you by posing as Yasodha and You made her fleshes come
out and nerves weakened (through sucking her breast).
Oh what a wonder! You sucked her round breast full of
poison as if it is tasty (by your grace even poison
becomes Amritam. You grew up with such wonderful
deeds. You took away the life of Kamsa. Oh my Lord!
resembling the most beautiful dark rain laden clouds!
Even that demoness made use of her breasts and You
sucked from hers. By having purposeless breasts, I
stand useless. Except my life, I have nothing useful.
You have got mothers (Yashoda and Putanai) befitting
you.

Let us enjoy Swami Desikan Gopala vimsathi referring
to this incident of killing Putanai

AAMNAAYA GANDHI RUDITA SPHURITAADHAROSHTAM
  AASRAAVILEKSHANAMANUKSHANA MANDHAHAASAM I
GOPAALADIMBHAVAPUSHAM KUHANAAJANANYAA:
  PRAANASTHANANDHAYAMIVAIMI PARAM PUMAAMSAM II

[From Sti Satakopan Swami?s article] I visualize and
revere Sri Gopala as the Supreme Lord, who took the
form of the child born in the cowherd family. He was
not an ordinary baby. As he feigned fear at the sight
of the approaching evil Puthanaa, he alternately cried
and smiled. When he cried, his upper and lower lips
quivered from that exertion. At that time, his sweet
breath carried the fragrance of the Vedas. He also
smiled in between his crying spells. His smile was
over the thought of what he planned to do next with
the deceitful Puthanaa. He not only helped himself
with the poisonous milk  from her breast, but also
sucked her life through the very same act of
responding to her cunning  invitation to breast feed
him. He drank at one swoop Puthana's milk and her life
force and blessed her this way. This certainly is no
ordinary child!

AzhwAr ThiruvaDigaLE saraNam
Regards
Namo narayana