You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Nov 2007

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00082 Nov 2007

Sri:
SrImathE Gopaladesika Mahadesikaya nama:

Dearest all

Let us meditate on the Lotus Feet of Sriya: pathih
Sriman Narayanan and pay obeisance to our Dearest
AzhwAr ThiruppANAzhwAr [num pANa nAthan], whose
Thirunakshathram (Birthday) is today. He needs no
introduction to our group of BhAgawathAs.

Let us enjoy His anubhavam of the Lord?s Lotus Feet.
In fact, from the old issue of Sri Nrusimhapriya, i
found an interesting article (from none other than our
present Srimad Azhaigiya singar. His writing made me
enjoy and thus share with all of you. (from June 97
issue) ( I am not capable of writing the translation
of Swami?s writings at all! What I jot down the
extract - a little portion here-  is all that I
grasped and could get them drilled into my head only!)

Emeperumaan?s Lotus Feet have been described and
enjoyed by all our PoorvAchAryAs. In
amalanaadhipiraan, ThiruppANAzhwAr starts from the
Lotus Feet. He enjoys each and every a~ngam of the
Lord in his ten pAsurams, and has been enjoyed by
Periyavaacchaan PiLLai, Azhaigiya MaNavaaLa perumAL
Naayanaar, Swami Desikan et al in their commentaries
on this lovely Prabhandham.

Generally, the Paramaikaanthins start from the Feet to
the Crown; while the Ekaanthins start from the Head to
the Feet, as BrahmA did during his asvamEtha yaagham.

1.      It is told by Poorvacharyas that ThirppANAzhwAr
started singing the ten pAsurams (while he was being
carried by LokasAranghamuni on his shoulders, on his
way to Sri RanganAthan sannidhi.) and he finished his
tenth inside the sanctum sanctorum, and united with
the Lord. There is also another school of thought that
he sang all ten verses inside the sannidhi.

2.      The Lotus flower, blooms only during certain
occasions; depending on the climate, the time
(daytime); some days, it remains fresh; then it loses
its freshness. But this Lotus of our Lord - the Feet
never gets such dhOshams. When the Lord knew that
AzhwAr had already started his course and is on his
way, singing, the Lotus automatically became fully
bloomed and became more fresh. It (the Feet) did not
feel like waiting for the AzhwAr to come. It started
going towards him and went straight to him. AzhwAr,
when he saw the Lotus Feet, (mentally ) approaching
him, he, out of his naicchiyam and humility, felt
ashamed and closed his eyes to avoid spoiling such
Lotus Feet and the Beauty. (not to cat his evil eye on
that Lotus Feet).

3.      But what happened? The Lotus Feet, did not wish to
leave the AzhwAr?s eye sight and hence went into his
eyes and showed Their Beauty! (adadaa! Parama kripai
of Emperumaan! How Great the AzhwAr is! )
?Thirukkamala paadham vandhu en kaNNinuLLana
okkinRadhE?? vandhu?. en?. KaNNinuLLana?. OkkinRadhE?.
(I will not translate further and spoil its beauty!- )

4.      What is so great about Thiruvadi (lotus Feet)? They
have both bhAvanam (the ability to alleviate the
dhOshams of those who pay obeisance to Them) and
bhOgyathvam (the ability to offer the delicious
sweetness to those who see and enjoy Them and pay
obeisance to Them). No single thing in the world is
both tasty and has medicinal value. Only the Lotus
Feet of Emperumaan has both aspects.

5.      Swami Desikan, in his many slOkAs, have enjoyed the
Beauty of the Lotus Feet. PeriyAzhwAr says : At
Aayarpaadi everywhere one can see on the ground, the
marks of Sanghu and ChakrA (the marks on each sole of
Lord?s Lotus Feet), since Kutti KaNNan walked His
?thaLar nadai? everywhere having His Lovely footprints
(with sanghu and chakrA). Also he explains, as
YashOdhA, the ten fingers of Kutti KaNNan shine as if
they are impregnated with Pearls, diamonds, Emerald
stones, etc..

6.      And These Lotus Feet are not just bhOgyam for
THiruppANAzhwAr, Swami Desikan and PeriyAzhwAr alone;
They are for our enjoyment, too! Not just that. Even
Emperumaan is perplexed as to why all these devotees
and BhAgawathAs look mostly at My Feet and enjoy. What
is so special at My Feet? He wonders and what does He
do? Kutti KaNNan takes the Lotus Feet and the pearl
like shining fingers, with both of His cute short
lovely Hands, and TRIES TO PUT IN ALL THE TOE FINGERS
IN HIS RED CORAL LIPPED ?PavaLa cchevaay? and
Kovvaipaazha idazh? (bimbhA fruit like lips). ?
PeriyAzhwAr says: pEthaik kuzhavi pidiithuch
chuvaiithu uNNum paadha kamalangaL??  ?VedAs say
?VishNO: PadhE paramE madhva uthsE?? ?thEnE malarum
thiruppaadham?.

7.      Thus His Lotus Feet are the BhOgyam for Him and for
us. WE ARE ALL BORN IN THIS SRIVAISHNAVA KULAM ONLY TO
_ REPEAT ONLY TO _ ENJOY HIM.

Let us pay our obeisance to ThiruppANAzhwAr who has
sung such lovely deep pAsurams enjoying the Beauty of
Emperumaan, and to our Jeer who has highlighted this
first pAsuram so beautifully.

ThiruppANAzhwAr ThiruvadigaLE SaraNam

namo narayana
narayana dAsan madhavakkannan