You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Oct 2003

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00052 Oct 2003

Dear sri vaishNava perunthagaiyeer,

We enjoyed two grammatically excellent paasurams in mudhal
thiruvandhaadhi.Thanks to sri. Vaanamaamalai padmanabhan swamy, we had two more
paasurams of same wavelength. Now, in this post, we will enjoy two more mudhal
thiru andhadhi paasurams of poigai aazhvaar, which are "thematically same" on
aalilaik kaNNan but located in different places.

These two paasurams explain the 'maayam' behind the 'vata pathra sayanam'
-wonder of lying on a fig leaf - of the supreme lord during the praLaya kaalam.

The words "mei enbar" are found in both verses, which is very special. NOT mei
anbar which means the bhakthaas - but here it is mei enbar. That is thespecial.

The ending words vaai and sollu also lead to the conclusion vaai irunthaal
thaanE solla mudiyum - when we have the mouth then only we can speak on
themaayam of the lord.

The command to the lord - sollu - mei enbar - hey lord - please confirm,
whether it is truth - also triggers thoughts on naaraayaNeeyam, where the poet
there also asked and got confirmation from the lord. Perhaps the later day
battathiri got that idea from aazhvaar to ask the lord himself and get
anaffirmation 'yes' answer from the lord himself.

Now the First paasuram

maNNUm malaiyum maRikadalum maaruthamum
viNNum vizhungiyadhu mei enbar - eNNil
alagu aLavu kaNda seeraazhiyaaikku anRiv
vulagu aLavu uNdO un vaai - 10th paasuram

word by word meaning:
maNNum - bhoomi + some thing
malaiyum - hills, mountains + some thing
maRikadalum - oceans which have incessant waves lashing the shores + something
maaruthamum - the wind + some thing
viNNum - the sky + some thing
vizhungiyadhu - swallowed
mei enbar - they said it is truth - sathyam enbar .
mei enbar - mei also means the body, mei - the skin. mei enbar means - theysaid
this body only contain these [ articles said above]
eNNil - if thought about
alagu - a measure, a beak of the bird, a spoon
aLavu - a measure
kaNda aazhiyaaikku - if seen, to that who owns the ocean, if seen that who has
the discus [the sudharsana chakram as his weapon]
anRu - then
iv ulagu aLavu - measuring of this world size
uNdO un vaai - is your mouth that big.

*       Summed up word by word commentary of uththamoor swamy - boomiyum kula
malaigaLum alaigaLai eRiyum kadalgaLum kaaRRum aagaayamum praLayaththil
emperumaan uNdathu uNmai enRu kooRuvar. avvaaRu vizhunginapOdhu aaraayumaLavil
eNNikkaiyil aLavaip paarththa [adhanaik kadantha] kalyaaNa guNangaLai udaiya
chakrapaaNiyaana unadhu vaayaanadhu vizhungiya vasthuvin visthaaraththiRku ERRa
aLavu udaiyadhum aayiRRO?

*       translation - it is said as truth that the supreme lord swallowed the
earth, the mountains, the oceans which throw waves incessantly, and the wind at
the catastrophic destruction time [mahaa praLayam] to consider that act of
swallowing the mouth of you, oh, chakradhaari, one who has the discus andhas
endless list of specialty characteristics, became big enough to be more than
the swallowed things. [May be the translation is poor and pardon me for that]

Now the second paasuram of same theme:

baalan thanadhu uruvaai Ezhu ulagu uNdu aal ilaiyin
mEl anRu nee vaLarntha mei enbar - aal anRu
vElai neer uLLadhO? viNNadhO? maNNadhO?
sOlai soozh kunRu eduththaai, sollu. - 69th paasuram

word by word meaning:
baalan - young boy
thanadhu uruvaai- of his shape and size
Ezhu ulagu uNdu - ate all the seven worlds
aal ilaiyin mEl anRu nee - on that day you, on the banyan leaf [fig leaf]
vaLanrntha - grown
mei enbar - they said it is truth - sathyam enbar .
mei enbar - mei also means the body, mei - the skin. mei enbar means - theysaid
this body only contain these [ articles said above]
aal anRu - with out that banyan
vElai neer uLLadhO - is there the waters of the ocean?
viNNadhO? - where is the sky?
maNNadhO? - where is the earth?
sOlai soozh kunRu eduththaai - one who lifted the hillock having the groves,
sollu - speak.

*       Summed up word by word commentary of uththamoor swamy - nee praLaya
kaalaththilE siRiya kuzhaviyin uru udaiyavanaai irunthu saptha lOkangaLaiyum
orEkavaLamaaga utkoNduvittu oru aala maraththin oru pavanaana thaLirinmElE kaN
vaLarnthiruppadhi uNmai enbar. Ellaam azhintha kaalaththilE antha
aalamaramaanadhu praLaya samudhra jalaththil iruppadhaa, vaanaththil iruppadhaa
boomiyil iruppadhaa enbadhai palavagai pozhilgaL soozhntha gOvardhanaththai
eduththuk kaaththa kaNNaa solvaayaaga.

*       Translation - please tell me, oh krishNa, you, who lifted the
gOvardhana hill which had many groves on it. They say it is truth that you, in
the form of a small child, swallowed in one lump all the seven worlds and then
slept on a tender fig leaf on the praLaya ocean of water. Please tell me,
whenall the things are destroyed, that banyan tree whether it was standing in
that ocean water, or was on the earth or on the sky?

back ground: - maargandEya maharishi wanted to see that praLaya kaala
destruction and how the lord did carry out that magnificent job. So kaNNan took
that baala roopam in the banyan leaf and allowed the rishi to travel insidehis
stomach through the mouth and see for himself, that the whole world isinside
the stomach of the lord. This episode is in the mahaa bhaaratham vana parvam
when paaNdaavaas meet the rishi. The rishi also says please surrender to such a
krishna who has also became your relative [sambandhi]. That episode is being
reflected in these paasurams.

Further this vata pathra sayanam and maarkaNdeya rishi doing sthuthi of
bhagavaan after seeing that maayam is in twelfth skandham of srimadh
bhaagavatham chapter 9 and 10. [Perhaps this we may have to see in the third
post considering the length of posts]

There are more specials in these two paasurams. To relish that, we have to
combine both the paasuram words and rearrange in sentences like this.

1.      sOlai soozh kunRu eduththaai - eNNil anRu nee baalan [69th paasuram
words].
2.      maNNUm malaiyum maRikadalum maaruthamum viNNum nee vizhungiyadhu mei
enbar - eNNil anRu nee baalan
3.      Ezhu ulagu uNdu thanadhu uruvaai aal ilaiyin mEl vaLarntha mei enbar -
eNNil anRu nee baalan
4.      aal anRu vElai neer uLLadhO - sollu
5.      seeraazhiyaaikku alagu uNdO sollu - aLavu uNdO? sollu.
6.      un vaai aLavu kaNda iv vulagu uNdO sollu
7.      un vaai alavu kaNda alagu uNdO sollu

Each of the above sentences has to be enjoyed elaborately. Considering the
length of the post, we will see the elaboration in next post.

Dhasan

Vasudevan m.g.

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia