You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Oct 2003

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00109 Oct 2003

/namastE.

I am somewhat surprised at this. I request that no such posting be posted. A /namaskAram is a personal obeisannce. Ourreligion excels in personal acts and duties. If you say, a/bhi/vAdayE type of /praNAm, you have to make a gesture of touching the feet of the person bowed to, and it becomes obligatory to do the /namaskAram in front of the person irrespective of other conditions.

In this case, one could do a general /namaslAram to all /bhAgavatAs at a determined moment on call for such a move.

But to take away the personal element is to lay the foundations for making the veneration meaningless in course of time. We have lost so many such moves, and we are tryingto rediscover these acts.

It may be considered a noble gesture on the part of /Srimad Andavan to forego the direct obeisasnce. But he really deprived the person of a psychological boost which the person was seeking. I am sorry to write so, but this kind of extreme /nYAsA makes a prayer meaningless.

/vantanam.