You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Oct 2005

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00055 Oct 2005

Om Shri Gurubhyo Namah !

The suffix is not meant as a wanton and casual counter to what our friend
Shri Sadogopan has elaborated.  It is only thru the divine intervention of
the Divya dampathis of Parakalamutt that this writer came across a few
scattered gems and persons associated with that Great Acharya Shri
Nathamuni.
For those who are in and around Chennai you may get in touch with Shri
Deskichar the son of Illusterious Yogi, Shri Krishnamacharya, who lived
close to 101 years solely by his yogic powers and practices.  This writer
is fortunate to have such an extraordinary Acharya as his Guru.

Shri Krishnamacharya was one of those highly orthodox ShriVaishnaivaite
associated with the the ancient Parakalamutt. In his youth Shri
Krishnamacharya underwent some mystical experiences, prominent among them
being his swooning at Thirualwarnagari when he apparently met a stranger
who is believed to be none other than the Sage Nathamuni.  The gist of the
Yoga Rahasya was revealed to Shri Krishnamarchaya who later mastered the
Sastras, the precribed studies, underwent spiritual practices in the
Himalayas and subsequently became a full fledged Yoga-cum-Vedic teacher.
Some of Sage Nathamuni's works this writer believes may perhaps be in
possession of Shri Krishnamacharya's family. You may also contact his other
son Shri Bhashyam settled in France. One is not sure about his contact
details.

One of Shri Krishnamacharya's favourite study was the perfection of the
Sandhyavandanam. Shri Krishnamacharya also happens to be  the Guru of the
world famous Yogi Shri BKS Iyengar.  More details and background
information may be gleaned by contacting his son Shri Desikchar.

This writer would be more than willing to gather a like-minded support
group and touch base with Shri Desikachar and his family.

Shri Krishnavagesa yetendra abhyam !samprapta chakrangan bhashyacharam !
Shrinutnarange samarpitaswam
      Shri Krishnamaryam Guruvaryam medhe Virodhe Kartike Mase,
            Ksatatara kritodayam    yogacharyam Krishnamaryam
                  Guruvaryam bhaja Shri Gurubhyo namaha
Harihi OM !

Om tat sat
Tat tvam asi
__/\__
Ram (022) 24910492 ext. 3019
Message of the month :"Over 75% of our  body is H2O,i.e. Oxygen and
Hydrogen.  Therefore, we are just a mass of gas"

                      sadagopaniyengar

                      <sadagopaniyengar         To:
SriRangaSri@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, malolan_net@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
                      @vsnl.net>                Oppiliappan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
tiruvenkatam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, ramanuja@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                      Sent by:                  cc:
saranagathi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                      tiruvenkatam@yaho         Subject: [t'venkatam] The Lost
Treasure
                      ogroups.com

                      10/11/05 09:14 AM

                      Please respond to

                      tiruvenkatam

Srimate  SrivanSatakopa Sri Vedanta Desika Yatindra Mahadesikaya nama:

The Lost  Treasures

A wealthy  philanthropist built a palatial Dharmasaala (rest house) at
Srirangam, with the  lofty purpose of accommodating all wayfarers who came
to worship Sri Rangaraja.  The choultry provided all facilities for
pilgrims, with comfortable rooms to  stay in, facilities for performing
daily ablutions and sumptuous food at  appropriate intervals. All those who
stayed at the Dharmasaala were extremely  grateful to the generous donor,
who, in turn, was pleased beyond measure at the  opportunity for service to
the Lord’s devotees. Word of this munificence and  convenience spread and
the Dharmasaala became the favourite destination of all  pilgrims to
Srirangam. Countless were those who benefited from its  conveniences.

The  philanthropist grew old and entrusted the management of the choultry
to his  progeny, who too carried on their father’s work sincerely. In time
and in tune  with the general decline in standards of ethics and Dharma,
the management of  the rest house became progressively indifferent, with
the successors of the  philanthropist showing less and less inclination for
altruistic activities,  resulting in the vast Dharmasala falling gradually
into disrepair and becoming  dysfunctional. And one sad day, the last
pillar supporting the once-magnificent  columns fell, marking the closure
of an institution that had served thousands in  its hay day.  As if waiting
for the  event, a building promoter moved in and constructed an
impressively ugly block  of match-box-like tenements, where there once
stood the magnificent Dharmasala.  Thus was lost to posterity a veritable
treasure house.

This narration  is neither fable nor fairy-tale, but a true-life story
which has happened with  deplorable regularity, not only at Srirangam, but
at many other holy places.  Buildings in ruins, with washed-out sign boards
hanging askew and bearing the  barely-visible name of some charity or the
other, are a common sight at almost  all Divyadesams.

While this is  one aspect of our losing bequeathed treasures due to
indifference and  inattention, there is another and more precious genre of
heirlooms which we may  well have lost forever. And what is more, most of
us haven’t even realised the  magnitude of the loss and continue to wallow
in blissful ignorance about its  enormity.

The  immaculate Vedas and their explanatory manuals like the Itihaasas,
Puranas,  Dharma Shastras, etc. are glorious guidebooks designed to pilot
us safely  through the mine-field of Samsara and to reach us safely at the
portals of  Paradise. These works of worship, propagated by the Lord
Himself  or His chosen messengers—Maharshis, Sages and Acharyas-- have been
handed down  from generation to generation, serving as a bright beacon to
all those  floundering in the interminable gloom of Samsara. They function
too as  guideposts amidst the thorny and confusing mundane maze, steering
us in the  right direction whenever we are confronted by bewildering
crossroads of choice.  It is these which form the most precious treasure
bequeathed to us by our  elders, the most valuable of heirlooms which
generations of our forebears have  protected, preserved, propagated and
passed on, for the benefit of  posterity.

Due  to inadvertence and indifference, already we have suffered quite a
heavy and  irreparable loss, by way of disappearance of portions of
Shastras, particularly  Vedas, from currency. For instance, the Atharva
Veda was all but lost a few  decades ago and it is only due to the
enthusiastic and energetic efforts of a  few Mahatmas that there is now a
healthy rejuvenation in its study. Even now,  students and exponents of
this fourth among Vedas are to be found in a small  number in Gujarat,
though it is slowly spreading to other places.

Though Vedas  are reputed to be beyond numbers (“Anantaa vai Vedaa:”),we
understand from  Scriptures that there were no less than 1180 Shaakhas of
the Shruti extant in  the not too distant past, each with its own Samhita,
Aaranyaka and Upanishad  components. And all these Shakhas had their own
votaries, engaged in study,  propagation and preservation of the Vedas.
However, what we have now is  pitifully small in comparison.

We know of the  Taittireeya Shakha, with the Taittireeya Samhita,
Taittireeya Braahmanam and the  Taittireeya Upanisad, all of which have
been remarkably well preserved. However,  granting that the Upanishad
generally forms the concluding part of a particular  Veda Shakha, many of
the Upanishads we have now, must have been part of  independent Shakhas,
though not a trace remains of the rest. The Kousheetaki  Upanishad, for
instance, is the sole remnant of the Saankaayana Shakha, which  must have
been a wide-ranging and voluminous body of Vedic wisdom. Though the
Katopanishad is still extant, its Aaranyakam is nowhere to be found. The
loss we  have thus suffered is incalculable and irreparable. What we have
lost are not  mere books, but treasure houses of wisdom.

Coming to more  recent times, within the last thousand years, we have
managed to lose many more  precious heirlooms. Sri Nathamuni was the first
protagonist of our  Visishtaadvaita Sampradaya (“Naathopagyam pravrittam”)
in this Kali Yuga. By all  accounts, he is reputed to have been a
repository of pure devotion,  selflessness, vairaagyam and other sterling
virtues, endowed with divine vision.  Though he is remembered for all these
accomplishments, the moment we hear his  holy name, what springs to our
mind is his wonderful and painstaking compilation  of the Naalayira Divya
Prabandam, which had, by his time, almost vanished from  currency. He also
set them to music and arranged for their recital at various  temples. Had
it not been for this great Acharya and his Herculean efforts, we  would
have lost the priceless treasure of Aruliccheyal, the ecstatical
outpourings of enlightened Azhwars.

It is therefore  extremely ironical that Sri Nathamuni’s own great  works,

Yoga Rahasyamand Nyaaya  Tattvam, are no longer available to us. The former
was a treatise on Yoga,  while the latter was a voluminous work involving
interpretation of the Nyaaya  Shastra according to Visishtaadvaitic tenets,
criticising the Gautama Nyaaya Sutras in the process. We learn of these
great works, only from copious references thereto by Swami Desikan in his
various works like Nyaaya  Siddhaanjanam and Nyaaya Parisuddhi. According
to Sri Sudarsana  Bhattar, Sri Ramanuja too, in his Sri Bhashya, has quoted
briefly from Nyaaya  Tattvam.

Another great  loss Srivaishnavas have suffered is the disappearance of Sri
Alavandar’s  path-breaking works Maha Purusha  Nirnayam (establishing the
supremacy of Sriman Narayana) and Kashmira Agama Praamaanyam, which is
said to validate the Pancharatra Agama and its Vedic source, the Ekaayana
Shakha. That these works definitely existed, is again to be derived only
from  Swami Desikan’s references and quotes. Our sense of loss is further
compounded  when we learn that Sri Yamunacharya’s Siddhi Trayam (consisting
of the Atma Siddhi, Isvara Siddhi and Samvit  Siddhi) too is available only
in portions. To quote Dr.M.Narasimhachary, “It  is a matter of regret that
all these three Siddhis suffer from gaps and the extant  text is only a
fragment of an originally larger  work”.

We come next to  the works of Swami Desikan, the most prolific author among
Srivaishnava  Acharyas. While it is indeed our good fortune that the major
portion of Sri  Venkatanatha’s works is remarkably well preserved, it is
simultaneously a matter  of deep regret that several of his works too have
been lost. Sri Vedanta Desikan  is reputed to have composed a magnificent
and voluminous commentary on  Tiruvaimozhi, named “Nigama  Parimalam”, and
another Tamizh work by name “Tirumudi Adaivu”, which are no longer  extant.
A similar commentary on Kanninunsirutthaambu, aptly named “Madhurakavi
Hridayam”, is also no longer  available, which fate is shared by a host of
Tamizh Prabandams of Swami, titled  “Pandu, Kazhal, Ammaanai, Oosal and
Esal”, apparently addressed to Sri Deivanayakan of Tiruvaheendrapuram. “
Steyaa Avirodham”, a work justifying Sri  Tirumangai Mannan’s unorthodox
ways of fund-raising for good causes, is also  lost, as also “Adhikarana
Darpanam”.  Only portions of Tattva Teeka (an  elaborate commentary on Sri
Bhashyam)  are available, as also of the “Sata  Dooshani”.

We hear too  that Vyaakhyaana Chakkravartthi Sri Periyavaacchaan Pillai’s
commentary on  Periyaazhwar Tirumozhi is partially lost.

This, then, is  a brief Status Paper on the priceless treasures of ancient
and unmatched wisdom  that we have lost over the centuries.

In this  context, we have to remember with gratitude Mahtamas who toiled
hard and spent  whole lifetimes in searching for, restoring, editing and
publishing rare works  of Acharyas. They were not endowed with unlimited
supply of funds nor had an  army of supporters. Yet, with a missionary zeal
for the protection and  preservation of Poorvacharya Sreesooktis, they
sacrificed their all to ensure  that whatever works were available did not
meet the same fate as the ones lost.  Two haloed names that spring to our
mind in this regard are Tarkaarnava  Abhinavadesika Uttamur Sri
Veeraraghavacharya Swamy and Prativaadi Bhayankaram  Sri Annangaracharya
Swamy of Kanchi. Though both were prolific writers, they  displayed greater
enthusiasm in publishing works of Poorvacharyas than their  own. The
constant and continuing efforts of Sri Puttur Krishnamacharya Swamy too
merit special mention in this regard. The good work of institutions like
the  Sanskrit Academy of Melkote (who have brought out critical editions of
Sri Bhashyam with various commentaries)  also deserves great appreciation
and  encouragement.

Though these  Mahatmas’ contribution is matchless, we can still endeavour
to emulate them to  the extent possible, in identifying works of both
Poorvacharyas and later ones,  for preservation. Many of these works are
still unpublished, especially numerous  ones of various Srimad
Azhagiasingars who adorned the ascetic throne of Sri  Ahobila Mutt and are
currently available in the form of manuscripts, many on  palm leaves and
similar perishable material. I am sure similar works by  distinguished
Acharyas of Srimad Andavan Ashramam and Sri Parakala Matam also  exist, in
similar need of preservation and publication. Since use of paper for
composition in our religious institutions is less than a century old,
earlier  works must be on Taala Patram or Panai Olai, likely to
disintegrate  anytime due to their age and disappear forever from our
midst.

Even in respect  of published works, though we come across quotes from
several old and hoary  works like the commentary of Sri Govindaraja on
Srimad Ramayanam, that of Sri  Veeraraghavacharya on Srimad Bhagavatam, the
commentaries on Srimad  Rahasyatrayasaram like Sri  Saaraasvaadini of Sri
Tirukkudandai Desikan and Sri Saarabodhini (of Injimedu Srimad
Azhagiasingar) and that of Sri Mahamahopaadhyaaya Chetlur Swami, we rarely
get  to set eyes on them. These works need to be  reprinted.

Against this  rather bleak background of partial and total loss of the
accumulated fonts of  wisdom, the recent efforts by inspired individuals to
identify, catalogue,  preserve and publish hitherto unpublished manuscripts
of Acharyas, deserve all  appreciation, encouragement and support. With the
advanced digital technology  now available, scanning or even typing out
these works from their originals on  palm leaf or ancient paper should be
possible, which would be the first step in  preservation. Once the works
are available in electronic form, the possibilities  are endless.

Most of these  works may be in Sanskrit, many of them may be on esoteric or
subtle points of  Shastra not of immediate interest to the common
man—despite all this, what we  have to remember is that they emanated from
erudite and enlightened Acharyas who  composed these works not as personal
memorabilia, but out of a fervent desire to  inform and educate us. They
are works of devotion which would guide us on the  right path by their mere
presence in our home. (My late, revered father, apart  from his other
sterling qualities and deep attachment to Srimad Ramayanam, was  an
acknowledged authority both on shorthand and Shakespeare. Though I have
regrettably not inherited his enthusiasm for either, I still preserve his
books  as their very sight reminds me of him and his devotion. Similarly,
works of our  Acharyas too inspire us by their very presence and sight,
even if we are unable  to profit from their wisdom immediately.) Once these
original works are  preserved, translations to benefit the scholar and
layman alike, could be  attempted.

As  Srivaishnavas, it is hence our sacred duty to ensure that these
bequests are  properly appreciated, treated with the veneration they
deserve, protected  against the ravages of distortion and loss and
preserved in all their pristine  purity, so that the generations that
follow would also benefit from the ageless  wisdom.

What are the  ways in which we can help?

We can search  sincerely for such old and published/unpublished works of
the aforesaid kind,  existing in our own library/those of institutions and
individuals likely to have  such books or palm leaf manuscripts and make
them available to those who have  undertaken the onerous task of converting
them into  e-format.

Those among us  who have the technical expertise can help in the above
process by offering  consultancy/active participation.

Once the stage  for publication comes, we can financially support the
printing of one or more  works of Acharyas.

We can spread  the word among our relatives/acquaintances about the need
for the entire  endeavour and make them aware of the crying need for
preserving our heirlooms.

There can be no  better tribute to Sri Hayagriva, who holds a book in His
hand, than to help in  protecting works on religion and spirituality. And
the venerated authors of the  unpublished manuscripts would definitely be
gladdened at their works getting  published at long last, benefiting the
entire Vaishnavite  community.

Come, let us  help in this holy mission!

Sriamte Sri  LakshmiNrisimha divya paduka sevaka SrivanSatakopa Sri
Narayana Yatindra  Mahadesikaya nama:

dasan,  sadagopan

 Namo VenkateshAya namah:

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

    Visit your group "tiruvenkatam" on the web.

 The information in this email is confidential, and intended solely for the
 addressee.  Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. Any
 copying or further distribution beyond the original addressee is not
 intended, and may be unlawful.  The opinions expressed are those of the
 sender, and do not necessarily reflect those of HDFC Bank Ltd.

 The e_mail has been successfully scanned for presence of virus.  It is
 recommended to scan the attachment before launching.

Click here to rescue a little child from a life of poverty.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/rAWabB/gYnLAA/i1hLAA/VkWolB/TM