You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Oct 2005

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00065 Oct 2005

Dear AasthikAs :

Here is some additional Information on Dharbham
on the Botanical name for Dharbam ( ThUppul/ViswAmthram)
and where it grows  :

Dharbham is also known as Kusa (sharp) . Kusa grass
when it becomes dry is known as Dharbhai .

It grows on brackish/salty water near river estuaries .
It is a special kind of tussock grass that commonly
grows in clumps . The dried Kusa grass has one or two or three or
four leaves .Each one has a specific role in Vaidhika and Temple
AarAdhana and other Hindu smaskArAs . Occasional ly  you
will seepictures of BuddhA seated on Dharbha grass during
meditation .

Botanical people cite two different kinds of Kusa Grass :
Poa Cynosuroidas and Agrostis Linearis .

PurANAs say that Kusa grass was formed , when the hairs on
the Koormam got loosened during the churning for amrutham
and washed away to the shores of milky ocean to form Kusa Grass
with the sanctity .

It grows in almost all states of India and mostly in
river banks . It is colelcted on KrishNa Paksha Prathamai days
by PurOhithAs with a specific manthram .

V.Sadagopan