You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Oct 2005

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00075 Oct 2005

Post 8

Dear sri vaishNava perunthagaiyeer,

We are studying sage vaalmeeki's `andha raama soundharyam' in
conjunction with kamban, basing that on the krithi by poet
aruNaachala kavi, wherein we have hanumaan's description of raamaa's
physical features. In the previous slOkam hanumaan said `raama has 3
features raised etc. now we have a slOkam stating he has 14 pairs of
features. `What are the details?' ? that is given here.

chathurdhasa sama dhvandhva: chathur dhamshtra: chathurgathi: |
mahOshtahanu nasascha pancha snigdha: ashta amsavaan || 5-35-19.

chathurdhasa sama dhvandhva: - similarity in 14 pairs of features
(eyebrows, nostrils, eyes, ears, lips, nipples, elbows, wrists,
waist, hands, legs, buttocks, testicles, knees)
chathur dhamshtra: - with 4 incisors [teeth]
chathur gathi: - with a walk like 4 animals (lion, tiger, elephant,
bull)
mahaa Oshta: hanu nasa: cha - with thick lovely lips, cheeks and nose
pancha snigdha - shining 5 features (hair, eyes, teeth, skin, sole of
feet)
ashta amsavaan - with 8 long features (body, hands, legs, fingers,
nose, eyes, male organ, buttocks)

meaning: raama has similarity in 14 pairs of features, 4 incisors,
walks like 4 animals [viz. bull, lion, tiger, and elephant], thick
lovely lips, cheeks and nose, shining in 5 features and long in 8
features.

Point 1: what these 14 similar pairs are? To answer that ? the 14
pairs are
1.      Eye brows ? right and left ? like a mirror image
2.      Nostrils - right and left ? like a mirror image
3.      Eyes - right and left ? like a mirror image
4.      Ears - right and left ? like a mirror image
5.      Lips ? top and bottom - like a mirror image
6.      Nipples - right and left ? like a mirror image
7.      Elbows - right and left ? like a mirror image
8.      Testicles - right and left ? like a mirror image
9.      Hips - right and left ? like a mirror image
10.     Arms - right and left ? like a mirror image
11.     Legs - right and left ? like a mirror image
12.     Raising in buttocks- right and left ? like a mirror image
13.     Wrists - right and left ? like a mirror image
14.     Ankles - right and left ? like a mirror image

The 5 shiny features or parts of body are
1.      Hair ? black shiny hair
2.      Eyes ? white and black shiny
3.      Teeth ? white shiny
4.      Skin ? blue or dark green shiny
5.      Inside of feet ? uLLankaal ? lotus like pink

The 8 long parts of body are
1.      Backbone
2.      Body as a whole
3.      Arms
4.      Legs
5.      Fingers
6.      Nose
7.      Eyes
8.      Genital

Point 2: Now a doubt comes ? how hanumaan would have felt or measured
or realized that the genitals are long and the testicles are similar,
smooth etc, to describe so, for it is all `private' parts of a person
and `intimate'. Also is it correct to describe like this without
having seen these or measured? Or is it that since all the exposed
parts of the description are assuredly correct he has imagined the
private parts will also be like this and then described. To answer
this question, it may be a difficult one.

But my guess is ? since hanumaan carried both the brothers raama and
lakshmaNa in his shoulders, chances are there that these parts of
raama and lakshmaNa rubbed against hanuman's body and he got a
feeling of these to describe so. Bhagavathaas can comment on this, in
private mail, if not in forum.

Point 3: The number game: by now we have the numbers 1 to 10 [except
7] in
one raama's
two are white in colour
three parts having a specialty in level, strength, equal etc
four types of walking style
five shiny parts of body
six parts are unnatha: - outstanding [ this comes in next slOkam]
eights parts are long
nine parts are smooth
ten parts are like lotus, and another 10 are thick.

So we have the numbers in serial order upto 10. The numbers 7,11, 12
13 are missing but 14 appears in the list. Why all this number game?
It is hanumaan's genius in describing his lord. Or is it that
vaalmeeki, since has not described his hero in the beginning, he
satisfies himself describing his hero, through this character of
hanumaan. [already we have seen in post 3 how raama is being
described which is more or less a repeat in sundhara kaaNdam also]

That also helps us what is `chaamudhrika lakshaNam' of a man ? or how
to identify the specials in a human body and what are the features,
which are to be in what level, raised, lowered, thich thin, shiny
glossy etc.

dhasa padhmO dhasa bruhath thribhir vyaapthO dhvi suklavaan |.
shad unnathO nava thanu: thribhi: vyaapnOthi raaghava: || 5-35- 20

dhasa padhma: - has lotus like 10 features (face, mouth, eyes,
tongue, lips, jaws, chest, nail, hands, legs)
dhasa bruhath ? with 10 thick features (chest, head, forehead, neck,
shoulder, upper arms, navel, sides, buttocks, voice)
thribhi: - in the 3 ie. luck, fame and wealth
vyaaptha: - well endowed
dhvi suklavaan -  with 2 white  features  (eyes and teeth)
shat unnatha: - outstanding in 6 features (stomach, chest, nose,
upper arm, forehead, arm pit)
nava thanu: - smooth in 9 features (hair, moustache, fingernail, body
hair, skin, fingers, male organ, brain, eyesight)
thribhi: - with the 3 ie. dharma, artha, kama and in all 3 times ie.
morning, noon, evening
vyaapnOthi - observes.
raaghava: - raaghava:

meaning: Raghava has 10 lotus like features, thick in 10, well
endowed with luck, fame and wealth; white teeth and eyes; outstanding
in 6; soft in 9; and 3 times a day performs the rituals.

With these vaalmeeki's description of raama's physical beauty ends
but we have to see some more points before concluding. That we will
have in next post.

Dhasan
Vasudevan m.g.

Click here to rescue a little child from a life of poverty.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/rAWabB/gYnLAA/i1hLAA/VkWolB/TM