You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Oct 2005

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00089 Oct 2005

SrI:
SrImathE Gopaladesika mahadesikaya namah:
Dearest all,

Let us continue to enjoy Thirumangai AzhwAr?s Periya
Thirumozhi.

kalayaami kalidhvamsam kavim lOkadhivaakaram
yaSya kObi: prakaaSaabir aavidhyam niHatham thama:

I meditate on the Poet, who is like the Sun for the
whole world, to destroy the darkness of ignorance
(a~jnAnam) with his word and who destroys the Kali
dhOsham.

AzhwAr had sought his mind to go to ThiruvEnkatam in
Periya Thirumozhi 1.8. Thirumangai AzhwAr had
requested his mind to proceed to TirumalA. But even
after AzhwAr reaches there, ThiruvEmkatamudaiyaan
doesnot welcome him nor does He speak to AzhwAr.

AzhwArs tells the mind- let us go back? He is not
willing to see us. We came all the way for Him and He
is not ready yet. [similar to the Indhaloor pasuram-
vaazhndhae pOm neerae? ]

The mind tells AzhwAr: Generally I am a sanchalan;
fickle. Having forced me to reach here with you,
[ThiruvEnkatam adai nenjamae] if you ask me to go, I
am not ready and not willing. Why are we blaming Him?
Perhaps we are not qualified yet. Perhaps we have done
more paapams for Him to delay our enjpoyment of Him at
Thirumala.

AzhwAr is depressed and thinks that his enormous sins
alone are the cause for the Lord's ignoring him.
AzhwAr appeals to the Lord Srinivasan to pardon his
great sins and save him. AzhwAr surrenders to Lord
Srinivasan and AlarmEl Mangai Sri MahAlakshmi.
Needless to say, this is REALLY AN EXCELLENT TEN from
AzhwAr. Very moving and touching. More appropriate for
us. [A Brilliant avathArikai- introduction by Sri
Periya Vacchaan Pillai]

thaayEthanNdhaiyenRum thaaramEkiLaimakkaLenRum,
nNOyEpattozhinNdhEn unnaikkaaNbadhOraasaiyinaal,
vEyEypoombozhilsoozh viraiyaar thiruvEngkadavaa!,
nNaayEnvanNdhadainNdhEn nNalgiyaaLennaikkoNdaruLE.
1.9.1

Oh EmperumaanE! The One who lives in TirumalA, full of
most fragrant flowers and gardens and dense bushes of
bamboo trees! Caring only and worrying constantly
about the bodily relations like mother, father,
children, wife, and other relatives, as the permanent
ones, I suffered terribly and am deeply immersed in
samsaaric ills (nOyE pattu ozhindhEn..). With the
great craving to see You, Oh ThiruvEnkadavaa! I
(adiyEn), this dog like self, have reached You,
considering You only as my Eternal relation. Please
show mercy on me and save me to take me over to You as
Your eternal servant. (A lovely pAsuram explaining
that Emperumaan alone is nirupAdhika bhandhu. All
others are dEha bhandhus only.- body relations-
unthannodu)

When we see our Father, Mother, we should consider
them as His Pradhinidhi (or His representative) and
pay the due respects. Instead, if we are merely
attached to our bodily relations alone, and forget the
Supreme Father, Mother and everything to us- then it
is incorrect.

In the previous ten verses ( Periya Thirumozhi 1.8),
AzhwAr begged his mind (nenju ) to reach thiruvenkatam
( Thiruvenkatam adai nenjamE ) . The nenju obliged by
shaking of all the attachments that it was heir to and
lifted the AzhwAr to the top of the seven hills.
AzhwAr described his presence in front of the Lord as
a lowly dog that has finally  arrived out of desire to
feast its eyes on the Sowndharyam
of the Lord of ThiruvEnkaTam .

Thirumangai appealingly converses with the Lord and
tells Him that as a lowliest one , he has arrived at
ThiruvEnkatam with a longing to have the darsanam of
the Lord ( unaik kANpathOr aasayinAl --nAyEn
vanthadainthEn).AzhwAr describes to the Lord the
samsAric afflictions that he faced and his travails
and begs the Lord to bless Him ( alanthEn, vanthu
adianthEn, ADIYAANAI AATKKONDU ARULE ).AzhwAr
describes his total dependence (ananya gathithvam)on
the Lord of seven hills and appeals movingly to the
Lord to remove his unbearable sufferings.

Thirumangai focuses in this paasuram on the obstacles
of SamsAric bonds that  delayed him and his pitiable
status due to devotion  to  those transient
relationships and finally gaining true knowledge and
reaching ThiruvenkaTam and standing before
VenkatanAthan begging for his anugraham in spite of
all his past transgressions .

Thirumangai AzhwAr ThiruvaDigaLe SaraNam
Regards
Namo Narayana
dAsan

http://mail.yahoo.com

Click here to rescue a little child from a life of poverty.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/rAWabB/gYnLAA/i1hLAA/VkWolB/TM