You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Oct 2005

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00128 Oct 2005

SrI:
SrImathE Gopaladesika mahadesikaya namah:
Dearest all,

Let us continue to enjoy Thirumangai AzhwAr?s Periya
Thirumozhi.

kalayaami kalidhvamsam kavim lOkadhivaakaram
yaSya kObi: prakaaSaabir aavidhyam niHatham thama:

I meditate on the Poet, who is like the Sun for the
whole world, to destroy the darkness of ignorance
(a~jnAnam) with his word and who destroys the Kali
dhOsham.

mannaaynNeererikaal maNYchulaavumaagaasamumaam,
puNNaaraakkaithannuL
pulambitthaLarnNdheytthozhinNdhEn,
viNNaarnNeeLsigara viraiyaarthiruvEngkadavaa!,
aNNaa! vanNdhadainNdhEn adiyEnaiyaatkoNdaruLE.
1.9.6

Oh Lord of ThiruvEmkatam, where tall sky scraper
mountains are there! I have been terribly trapped in
this body composed of five senses, sense organs, red
water (blood), pus, bones, flesh, hair, foul smelling
wounds on this physical body, etc.., and I am remorse
with tears, thinning down and grieving heavily. adiyEn
now has reached You. Please save me and take me over
to You as Your eternal servant.

The five elements, prithvai, ap, thejas, vaayu and
asskaasam [five elements] constitute our bodies. That
is what AzhwAr refers to. Not just that. This body
also consists of pus, blood, bones, skin, flesh, hairs
etc? dirt, sewage, and rot? .

This jeevan is housed in such a body and having
associated myself with the body, I have been suffering
so much? thinking that it was enjoyment.
This is imilar to putkavvak kidakkinreerae- pasuram by
ThoNdaradippodi AzhwAr. [given below is the
translation on this most wonderful pasuram of
Thirumalai-6 by Srimathi Sumithra Varadarajan from Sri
periya Vacchaan Pillai commentary]

puramsuvar Ottai mAdam puralumpOdu ariyamAtteer: when
the body which is a house with holes is shed down you
will not know what to do says alwar.  Alwar here
attributes the body to be a house which has a wall
outside but with number of holes(puramsuvar Ottai
mAdam).  Even thirumangai alwar describes a human body
as a 9 holed house.  The soul stays in this house.
Again it is not a permanent house for the soul.  We do
not know from where we came and where we will go.  But
in the intermediate time we consider the house to be
ours and we take upmost care of it.  Like a house
built of cement, this body is a house built of flesh.
Thirumangai alwar explains this excellently.
?Oonidaisuvarvaiththu enbhuthoon nAtti orOmam vaidhu
onbhadhu vAsal thAnudai kurumbhai?(periya thirumozhi
1-6-9).  The house(body) is made of flesh, to give a
shape to the structure the flesh is supported by
pillars of bones and to protect the flesh it is
covered with hair and the house has 9 holes.  When we
know that we are supposed to vacat
Narayanan can grant us moksham.  When our house is
very old we try to renew or reconstruct it.  If it is
in a very bad condition then we prefer to go to a new
house.  Similarly we have taken birth after births and
lived very long in this bhoolokam so it is high time
that we shift over to the new sweet home the
vaikundam, which never becomes worn out or old.

Alwar says that when we are in the last bed we will
not know who to call for help.

Even our very close relatives or friends cannot help
us, they will rather cry due to inability.  The
doctors who have tried their level best will say, rest
left to god.  But all through the life we havent
believed in him and we have never gone to his temple
with a small tulasi garland.  Then how will the belief
suddenly come in the last moment and how can a person
think of him in his death bed?  That is why we have to
do it now itself(when we are young and capable of
worshipping him).  Think the perumai of the bhagavan
and meditate on his nAmas.  But what we actually do?
Alwar continues saying.

aramsuvarAgi nindra aranganArkku AtsaiyAdhe:
Emperuman is dharma swarropan.?Dharma yoni
janardhanaha:? ?rAmam dharma sanAthanam? ?Dharma
samstappanaya? ?Dharmasya prabhu: achutaha:? are
various verses which say that emperuman is a symbol of
dharma.  He has been our saviour always.  When we help
our fellow people they forget it very soon.  But
emperuman never forgets when we do a dharma and look
for the enjoyment in his face.  Even though whatever
service we do to the lord is not at all necessary for
him still he adds one credit to us for each good deed.
 Even though he is filled with so much karunyam and is
waiting to be called to help us out still we prefer to
call the less capable persons and suffer rather than
calling him and enjoying the divine bliss.  That is
why alwar says aranganArkku AtsaiyAdhe.  Only for the
sake of we humans he came from his divine aboard the
srivaikundam and settled in Sri rangam to come to our
call without any delay but then we never go near him
or call him inspite of innumerabl

puramsuvar kOlamsaidhu putkavvakedakkindreerE:  we do
not surrender to the lord but we are busy decorating
our body.  We put on so many cosmetics and scent
ourselves to make our body appealing to others.  But
we lack to think that one day this body will fall and
no one will want to come near it.  We put so much
make-up and then we wear a variety of dresses and
jewels to make us beautiful.  Then the youth passes
and then comes old age when all our beauty vanishes
and the same persons who appreciated the beauty once,
now criticize it.  Finally comes death.  Can the
person who admired our body now keep it for more than
a day or two?  No.  Even our closest of the closest
now get ready to bury or burn the body.  The father
gets ready to burn the body of the son, the wife sees
the body of her husband burn down. This is the sad
state of any body.  But still for this temporary
period we want to decorate it and spend money and time
for its beautification.  If we think a little bit we
will know what a waste of time and taking in the
actual sense).

Thirumangai AzhwAr ThiruvaDigaLe SaraNam
Regards
Namo Narayana
dAsan

http://farechase.yahoo.com

Click here to rescue a little child from a life of poverty.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/rAWabB/gYnLAA/i1hLAA/VkWolB/TM