You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Oct 2006

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00023 Oct 2006

SrI:

Dear VedAbhimAnis :

adiyEn recieved recently the latest releases on
VisishtAdhavitham by VedAntha Vidwan , Desika
Darsana ChoodaamaNi , SampradhAya BhUshaNa ,
VedAntha VidhyA Vaageesa , VedAntha BhUshaNa
Dr. N.S. Aanantha RangAchArya (NSA) Swamy of Bangalore .

The titles of these two releases and their costs are :

1. The Philosophy of Saadhana in VisishtAdhvaitha (Rs.300)

2.VisishtAdhvaithic Epistemology and Doctrine of Matter (Rs.100)

It is my pleasure to introduce them to You and to acknowledge
my sense of gratitude to this outstanding scholar , who releases
such treasures year after year for our benefit .

Dr.NSA Swamy's scholarship and depth of understanding of
Swamy Desika Darsanam is extraordinary . His clear writing style
takes us thru some of the most abstruse areas with  comfort
afforded by some one , who is totally familiar with the pathways
of VedAntha .

These two books are companion volumes . In the first book ( in order of
release ) , the extensive monograph on SaadhanA ( 459 pages ) focuses on
the interrelationship between the triumvirate : Saadhaka , Saadhya and
the Saadhana . The practise of Karma , Jn~Ana , Bhakthi and Prapatthi
YogAs as Saadhanaas by the  SaadhakA's as means ( UpAyam) to Moksham
( deliverance from the cycles of births and deaths directly or indirectly is
described .The areas of overlap between these Four YogAs as SaadhanAs
are exhaustively covered . It is pointed out that the Saadhaka based on
his/her adhikAram and pre-dispostion chooses one or other of the 4 Yogams
as their choice route .Both the pundit and the lay person are provided abundant
material on Prapatthi and all the challenges to Prapatti as an independent
means to Moksham are answered thoroughly . The grandeur of Prapatti
in all all its aspects is illustrated and its status as " an all-sufficing
pathway
to Moksha " is established with thoroughness and exactitude . Dr.NSA Swamy
reminds us about the grand contributions of Swamy Desikan on the topic of
the Philosophy of Saadhana in VisishtAdhvaitha .

adiyEn will continue with the additional postings on
this Book on "Saadghana ".

The second book is on" VisistAdhvaithic Epistemology and Doctrine
of Matter " . This book has 138 pages . The first 84 pages are devoted to
VaishNavite Epistemology .From 85 to 132 pages , Doctrine of Matter
is covered and the rest of the book covers the doctrine of Time. The first
section ( Epistemology) dwells on the Theory of Knowledge , Perception ,
Inference , Sabda PramANam and Verbal Knowledge .  This book will get
a grounding on the four fundamental actualities : ParamA, Pramithi,
PramEya and PramANaa .Dr.NSA Swamy says the root for these
four actulaities is : " Maangh MaanE " meaning correct measurement
with the preposition , "pra" . These are assessed as standards of
Measurement by means of which we can test the validity of our
knowledge .

The means of valid knowledge are PramANAs and Pramithi is acquired
valid knowledge . PramEya is the object of knowledge and PramA is
the right apprehension . Dr.NSA Swamy poits out that " valid knowledge is
possible only when the whole machinery is valid and it depends upon
the three constituents , namely , the sense organs ,the SamskArAs
and the objects to be known" .

This whole book is a travel across the land of fundamentals in
VisishtAdhvaithic darsanam with the help of many quotations that
Dr.NSA Swamy has chosen to illustrate the details about the above
four actualities . It will take a few readings to firm up the fundamentals
to help the  serious student of Vedantha .

Dr.NSA Swamy is the living example/embodiment  of likhitha Kaimkaryam
and shares generously his vast knowledge about Vedanthic
lore and Bhagavath Saasthrams as intrepreted by our PoorvAchAryAs .

Our prayers to the dhivya dampathis are for him to enjoy long and
healthy life to bless us with such valuable books to open our eyes to
the treasures  bequeathed to us by Swamy Desikan and AchArya RaamAnuja .

NamO Sri VenkatEsAya ,
Daasan , V.Sadagopan

Dr.NSA Swamy can be reached thru his son, Sri A.Narasimhan of Bangalore
at the above address.Sriman AnantharangAcchAr Swamy's address & phone
number are :

Dr.N.S.Aanatharangachar Swamy
#780 V Main Road
Vijayanagar