You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Oct 2006

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00076 Oct 2006

Dear brothers and Sisters

I am glad to tell you that we had a very good Abhisheka Darshana of
the Lord. We had been at Vaikuntam at 2.30 am itself and we were
allowed inside at around 3.00 am after checking the tickets. By this
time Suprabatam Seva had begun and we could hear the recitation of
Suprabatam. We were asked to assemble in front of the coin
segregation area (North-West corner of the sanctum), and the names of
the sevakartas of Vastram Seva, Udayasthamana Seva, and
Poorabhishekam are called out respectively in date wise priority. For
the Vastram Seva two are allowed for Udyasthamana Seva six persons
are allowed and for Poorabhishekam one per ticket.

There were 42 Vastram sevakartas and 8 Udayasthamana sevakartas so
there were 132 devotees in front of us out of total 186. Though we
were first in the Poorabhishekam (booked on 31-07-2001) we could sit
near Bangaru Vakili. Devotees were made to sit from the
Kulashekaralwar Padi (Threshold of Sanctum) to the Garudalwar Shrine
in Thirumamani Mantapam. Ladies are made to sit to the left side of
Lord and gents to the right.

At the time of Abhishekam the lights in the Sayana Mantapam, Ramar
Madai, Snapana Mantapam and Tirumamani Mantapam are switched off so
that the Abhishekam of Lord is visible to the devotees near the
Garuda Shrine.

Traditional Camphor crystals (pacha karpooram), saffron, and milk are
used for the sacred bath to the Lord with chanting of Vedas, Purusha
sukta and Prabandhams.

Abhishekam was then performed for the gold image of Srivatsa that
hangs on His chest, to the chanting of Sri-Suktam. And at the end
arthi is performed.

The Lord is dressed in a pitambaram and darshanam is allowed to all
the sevakartas. A packet of Kasturi Chandanam that was placed at the
feet of Lord and Camphor crystals (pacha karpooram) applied as Namam
to Lord was given as Abhisheka Prasadam to the devotees.

The saffron water collected from the Lord's body is the Abhisheka
Tirtham; it is considered to be holy since it has been in contact
with His body. It is given in small spoonfuls to the pilgrims as
theerthams during the Sarvadarsanam that follows. Abhishekam is
conducted every Friday; it lasts approximately for one hour from 4.00
am.

Regards
Sreeram Manoj Kumar
Bangalore