You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Oct 2006

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00117 Oct 2006

SrI:
SrImathE Ramanujaya namah:

Dearest all,

Why did he explain the difference between Maayavan and
Mahaachaaryan. Now Amudhanaar explains in further
details.

cheyththalaich changam chezumuththam eenum
thiruvarangar
kaiththalath thaaziyum changamu mEnthi,naNG kaNmukappE
meyththalaith thunnai vitEnen Rirukkilum ninpugazE
moyththalaik kumvanthu iraamaa Nnucha!ennai
muRRunNinRE. 75

Even if ThiruvaranganAthan - Lord Sri RanganAtha of
Srirangam, appears in front of me, shows Himself His
full beauty with all Divya Ayudhams in His resplendent
Hands, and vows " I shall never ever leave you", Oh
Sri RamanujA! Even then, the greatness of Your kalyANA
guNAs surround me, drag and engulf me and I am caught
immersing myself in them and praising them only.

seydhalai sankham sezhu muttham eenum - the conch
shells, valuable pearls found in the fields as brought
by the floods
eenum thiruvarangar ? are thus abundantly created and
found in Srirangam by Lord Ranganthan Himself
[and wearing such most precious and valuable ornaments
on His dhivya mangaLa vigragam]
kaithalatthu aazhiyum sankhamum yEndhi- holding Divine
ChakrA and the Conch in His resplendent palms
unniavidEn enRu ? I would never ever leave you ?
uttering this
moytthu alaitthu num kaN mugappE- comes near and
stands in front of my own eyes
irukkilum- even if this happens
iraamaanusaa nin- Oh Ramanuja! Your
pugazh vandhu muRRum ninRu- Your wonderful dayA,
kalyAna guNAs, and thEjas alone surround, drag and
engulf me
ennai alaikkum- enchant me to unite with your
vishayams only [and not Lord Ranganathan?s]..

AzhwArs immerse themselves in the fertile Cauveri
river and the adjacent fields where the pearls, the
conch shells and other numerous valuable gem stones
are brought the by the river and are found in plenty.
AzhwArs enjoy the Lord Ranganathan in the banks of
this river with the dhivya AbharaNams, divine weapons
Thiruvaazhi, Thiru shankhu in His Thirukkai, showing
Himself fully to them.

AzhwArs lost themselves in such a beauty and outburst
with the wonderful verses and used to languish for
such uniting with such a beauty when He is not seen.
Such most beautiful divine Lord Ranganathan Himself
with all the paraphernalia appears in front of my eyes
and sayas: I would never ever leave you.. I would
still lose myself only in the kalyANa guNAs of yours,
Swami EmperumAnrE! adiyEn would never ever leave you.

That wonderful ThirmEni of yours with ThridhaNda
kasshayam is the feast for my eyes. Dhivya Thejas,
those Oordhva puNdram on your forehead and other parts
of the body, that sacred thread, that sikhai, - are
all to be enjoyed and beheld in the eyes for ever. All
these make me always get glued to only devareer at all
times.

upaveedhinam oordhva pundravantham
  trijagadh puNya palam thridhanda hastham I
saraNAgatha saartha vaaham eedE
  sikhayA sekariNam pathim yatheenAm II
[11th verse of Swami Desikan?s YathirAja Sapthathi]

I salute the emperor of SanyAsis, RaamAnujA, who is
resplendent in his appearance wearing the sacred
thread, oordhva Pundrams and beautiful tuft made up of
dense black tresses. He is holding the thridhandam in
his hands as a result of the puNyams accumulated by
the three worlds and is leading the prapannAs to
moksha saamrAjyam.

EmbAr has also painted a memorable word picture of the
majestic beauty of RaamAnujA in his SanyAsa Aasramam:

paRpamenatthihazh painkazhalunran pallavamE viralum
      paavanamAhiya painthuvaraadai pathintha
marunkazhahum
muppuri noolodu munkailEndhiya mukkOl tannazhahum
      munnavar tandhidu mozhikaL niranithidu muruval
nilAvazhahum
karpakamE vizhi karunai pozhinthidu kamalkkaNNazhahum
      kaarisu tan kazhal soodiya mudiyum kana
naRRsihai mudiyum
yeppozhudhum yethiraasan VADIVAZHAHU
yeenidhayatthuLathAl
     ILLAI YENAKKU YETHIR ILLAI YENAKKU YETHIRILLAI
YENAKKETHIRE "

Those who have had the darsana bhaagyam of the
majestic beauty of the divya mangaLa vigraham of
Acharya RaamAnuja at Sri Perumbhoodhoor and Melkote
can relate to the celebration of Embaar"s paasuram in
Tamil and its echo in Sanskrit by Swami Desikan. The
depth of enjoyment of EmbAr, Swami Desikan arise from
their profound AcharyA anubhavam.

Embar's anubhavam of RamAnujA's lotus feet, tender
fingers reminding one of the creepers, sacred ochre
robe, auspicious yagnOpaveedham, thridandam, smile
laden with dayA, eyes reminiscent of wish yielding
kalpakA tree, tuft formed by abundant tresses is
simply beautiful. EmbAr states that there is no one
equal to him in all the worlds because of his
enshrinement of Sri RamAnuja of such great beauty and
sacredness in his heart lotus. [the above two
translations are by Sri V Satakopan Swami]

Amudhanaar now answers the Lord:

When Acharyan is around, no one will pay much
attention to the Lord or seviichufy EmperumAn. Oh
Lord! You yourself have said that Acharyans are your
AthmA [in GitA]. If that is the case, what is the use
of leaving Your athmA i.e. my acharyan and coming to
You? Since I am with my Acharyan and because of that,
if you want to be with me, fine, I am not going to
stop that. Since I am united with him,
saakshaannaaraayaNo Deva: Hence it is as if I am
already with you.

In order to enchant me and tempt me you are appearing
in front of me with Sankhu, Chakra and other abhraNams
[pearls etc.], but I am not going to get tempted. I
want only Saasthra paaNi ? the one who holds saasthras
as his weapon i.e. Ramanujacharya. You hold asthram.
You are hence sasthra paaNi. You destroy the sareeram
and protect the good. He changes even the evil to good
without any destruction except their wrong jnAnams.
So, I better join someone who perform better than you
and in better roopam with no weapons.

Now he addresses Ramanuja again:

Even if the Lord comes closer, only your thEjas,
kalyAna guNAs, etc, stand around me and engulf me and
hence would not let me get dragged towards the Lord;
instead I would stay always at your feet, oh Ramanuja.
Because your grandness, divine glories and kalyAna
guNas are found to be even much ahead of the Lord?s
himself. That?s why they drag me towards you.. and not
to Him. This magnetic field is bigger and stronger.

EmperumAnAr ThiruvaDigaLE SaraNam
Regards
Namo Narayana
dAsan