You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Oct 2006

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00134 Oct 2006

ShrI BhoomidevI sameta ShrinivAsaprabraHmaNe namaH
Chapter 6
        Brahma spoke to Narada:
        MarkanDeya said:
        He KrishNa! Mukunda, destroyer of  Mura! Vishno, consort of NeeLaa
Devi! Victory be to you, Suresha! May Victory be with you! You are the
embodiment of all that is good and auspicious. Krishna, the
Encompassment of Knowledge! The whole word is your family! Root of all
that "is" ! Creator of the Universe! Protector of the cosmos! You
encompass all, inside and out!  You are omniscient, constant, and
perpetual !Youe are the source of all radiance ! You are the Master of
all directions !  He VAsudeva1 He ParamATman! He Paresha! You are
handsome! You hold the Chakra, Muravairin! He Madhava, Govinda,
Salutations to you, who destroyed Madhu! He Purushottama! He
ShrInivasa! Salutations to You, who holds the Sharngam, Conch, GadA
and chakra! You wear exquisite KunDalams! He Ananta! Salutations to
You, who resides in the ocean of milk! You are omniscient, Supreme and
You grant all knowledge! You are Divinity and You possess divine form!
I pray to You again and again! Salutations to You again! Having
praised Devadevesan, the Lord of all Celestial beings, Markandeya, the
rishi whose wealth was his penance, stood silently before the Lord.

        Figure resplendent, Lord Ramakanthan looked at Markandeya and spoke
to the Rishi  in a majestic tone of a cloud, "I am pleased with your
faith and verse." I will become your son-in-law. Grant me your
daughter's hand forthwith. Due to her youthfulness, even if she
neglects to add salt to her preparation of rice and accompanying fare,
it will still be delicious to me. Moreover, if someone brings salt
into the temple, he will have to go to hell as long as there are sun
and moon.  If someone eats without salt inside my temple, he will get
the benefit of observing a thousand chandrayana vratams.  You are one
of the best of my bhakthas and you should give your daughter as my
bride. Ask and receive whatever you want. I will grant whatever you
wish, I am your son-in-law. Do not think that I am an old man- I am
always young".
        Markandeya was delighted and said "All my penance has yielded the
right fruit and so have my birth and my actions. Now all the devatas
and my ancestors are overjoyed. I do not want anything else ? I have
seen you in person.  Nevertheless, since You have asked me to ask for
what I want, grant me the following:
You should reside here till the end of this Kalpa with my daughter and
this forest that will give all that is auspicious should be known by
my name. You should partake rice, etc. without salt. Lastly, please
grant me Moksha" he finished.
        "So be it" said ShrInivasan. " Liaten  to me. Since I came here from
Akaasham, this place will be known as Akaashanagaram. Because of your
penance it will also be known as "MarkaNDeyasthalam." And it will be
known as "TulasIvanam" as well because of TuLasi's penance. If someone
stays here for a minute or even for half a minute, he will attain
whatever he wants. Perform the wedding accordingly as decided earlier"
        Rishi said " You are single and I do not have relatives either.  How
can we perform the wedding?  So, please invite the devas so that the
wedding shall take place before them".
        The Lord Ramakantan who wanted to bless all his Bhaktas, thought of
Garudan, who appeared immediately and prostrated and praised Him and
asked why he had been summoned to His presence.
ShrI BhoomidevI sameta ShrinivAsaprabraHmaNe namaH

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: