You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Oct 2007

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00142 Oct 2007

Post 9

Dear sri vaishNava perunthagaiyeer,

Thanks to our respected Sri Anbil Swamin for the nice words – saying MGV gives 'food for thought'. Actually this is 'very high compliments' from such an accomplished person and I just bow my head at his feet for this.

You are all aware of the proverb in tamil – "mannan evvazhi makkaL avvazhi" – on a rough translation this is "how the king is, in same way are the people of that country".

Can we say the converse is also true? If people are really good their king will also be very good? That is what, at least in kOsala dhEsam. We have seen the people of kosala dhEsam were all knowledgeable in the 6 angams of vEdhaas and no body lived there without performing their own rituals according to saasthrams. So king dhasaratha was also of similar nature. Further he had excellent cabinet of ministers [8 in number] and a super cabinet of eminent rishis and guru vasishta [another 8 in number] always advising him in all the matters – not only administration, financial, and economical – but religious and saasthraic – all as per vEdhaas.

So when the king wanted to perform the puthra kaama ishti – the yaagam to get a son – see what dhasaratha gave as direction to his minister and other administrators -

"Give 'annam' food to all, and accommodate them properly and honour them all, no disrespect to be shown etc".

1-13-10.

braahmaNaa + aavasathaa + cha + Eva + karthavyaa = for Brahmins, accommodation, like that only, be built;

s athasaH + subhaaH = hundreds of, sanctified houses;

bhakshya + anna + paana = with eatables, foods, potables;

bahubhiH + sam + upetaa + sunishTithaaH = very many, well endowed, well established.

Meaning: For accommodating Brahmins hundreds of sanctified houses be built like that only, with very many eatables, foods, and potables, well endowed and well established. [1-13-10]

1-13-13.

aavaasaaH + bahu + bhakshyaaH + vai = lodgings, with many foods, verily;

sarva + kaamaiH + upasthhithaaH = all, utilities, arranged;

thathhaa + poura + janasya + api = thus, for this city dwellers also;

janasya + bahu + sObhanam = for [other] people, very, grand [food be given.]

meaning: These lodgings, with many foods and utilities are to be arranged verily, for the people of this city and for others too [coming from distant countries,] and a very grand [food be given] [1-13-13]

1-13-14.

dhaathavyam + annam + vidhivath = be given, food, dutifully;

sathkruthya + na + thu + leelayaa = treating well, not, just, illusively;

sarvE + varNaa = to all, castes;

yathaa + poojaam + praapnuvanthi = as they would, respects, they get;

su + sathkrithaaH = well honoured.

Meaning: Food be given dutifully, but not just illusively, treating them well, and the people of all the castes shall be well honoured, as they would get their due respect. [1-13-14]

1-13-15.

na + cha + avaj~naa + prayOkthavya = not any, disrespect, be shown;

kaama + krOdha + va saath + api = passion, anger, overcome by;

yajna + karmasu + yE + vyagraa = in ritual's works, those, preoccupied;

purushaaH + silpinaH + thathhaa = men, sculpists too.

Meaning: And no disrespect be shown, even when overcome by passion or anger at those men who are preoccupied in the works of the ritual and at those sculptists too" [1-13-15]

1-13-16.

thEshaam + api + vi sEshENa = they be, also, exceptionally;

poojaa + kaaryaa + yathaa + kramam = adored, as they deserve;

yE + syuH + sampoojithaa + sarvE = those men [involved in the works,] will. well respected, all of them;

vasubhiH + bhOjanEna + cha = with funds, with foods, also.

Meaning: They be adored exceptionally, as they deserve, those men [involved in these works] shall be well respected with funds and foods also. [1-13-16]

1-13-17.

yathaa + sarvam + su + vihitham = thus, all this, well, organised;

na + kinchith + pari + heeyathE = not, in the least, be neglected;

thathhaa + bhavantha + kurvanthu = thus, you all, shall administer;

preethi + yukthEna + chEthasaa = with affection, in good spirit.

Meaning: Thus all this be well organised, and not in the least be neglected. Thus you all shall administer in all your affection and good spirits..." [Thus, spoke Sage VasishTa to the organisers] [1-13-17]

Points: here we have certain things to learn – while doing athithi sathkaaram – in our house while entertaining guests with food – as in the hospitality industry – I mean the present day 'hotels and restaurants' --

Just recall that adage – 'dhaanaththil siRandhadhu anna dhaanam' – the best gift what one can give is food. That is what king dhasaratha wanted to give – his original name is ' dharma raajan' – dhasaratha is only a kaaraNap peyar – name with a reason behind - proposed when he wanted to conduct that 'puthra kaama ishti'.

When one gives that best gift – it should be given in a fitting manner and not with ahankaaram of   " ' I ' am giving". Perhaps it may be a difficult thing for the main host to do all these 'single handedly' – but he must assign persons to do all these on his behalf - as king dhasaratha did here thru sage vasishta and others.

Why I give all these here is to understand how subtly vaalmeeki has dealt different aspects - while describing the raama's life story, – applicable even today – not only on the hotel management - but in our own household functions, receptions and treating guests. I added these since I thought these are connected with 'raama's food habits', our main topic.

Let us continue in next post. Dhasan Vasudevan m.g.

--
Vasudevan MG __._,_.___