You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Sep 2003

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00056 Sep 2003

Sep 2003 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

I am a new member of the group, probably the latest.
The two queries of "vigsah"are readily answerable:
1.Sri PeriyavAchchan Pillai's pAchurappaDi rAmAyaNam is neither a part of
Naalaayira Divya Prabandham nor an appendix to it.
It is a highly appreciable later work based on Prabandham.
It belongs to the post-Ramanuja period.
All parts of Naalaayira divya prabandham belong to earlier centuries.
2.There are two versions in counting the number of verses in Divya
prabandham. Yes, in one of them the total number falls short of 4000 as
rightly observed in the query. In another version mentioned in
PrabandhasAram of Vedanta desikar , there are exactly 4000. The main
difference in counting is due to the two 'Madal's. In the first version,
the entire madal is a single verse.(arguably so).There are two such. In
the second version the madals are
conveniently divided into smaller pieces:40 in one and 78 in the other.
Another reason for the difference in the total count is due to the fact
that SriRamanujaNorrantAdi is added in the second version only.
3.There have been debates and controversies over this. But we need not be
too much bothered about these minor points.
Yours Sincerely,Dasan
V.Kannan.