You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Sep 2003

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00100 Sep 2003

Sep 2003 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Dear Bhagavatas:
Sri Gopinathan has put forth a very valuable suggestion.
As most of you are aware, efforts are already afoot in various fora
both in India and worldwide for encouraging the study / recital of
not only Tiruppaavai but also the 4000 holy collects besides centres
of study of Veda and Vedanta by the various Ashramams and MaTams of
Bhagavad Ramanuja - Swami Desika Satsampradayam.
All that seems necessary is that these efforts are co-ordinated
more aggressively and effectively to ensure the
"greatest good to the greatest number".
Dasoham
Anbil Ramaswamy
Moderator

Vanakkam.

I have an idea, which, I thought I can express in this forum.

Since many years, the invaluable cultural treasures of our country like the
Thiruppavai have been forgotten by people. Such divine literary works are
known only to some learned people. Moreover there is a decline in the
interest in reading works in native languages, and people are attracted
more to English works. In this situation, I think, it is the duty of such a
learned and noble forum to strive to spread the message of our divine
Andal.

This I feel would serve mutliple purposes. First of all it would make the
message of our great saints reach the common man. And as a result it would
bring a renaissance of Bhakti.

And the other important reason I'm thinking of this is, our land is
suffering from droughts for several years in a row. People are not even
getting water for drinking and agricultural purposes.

As Andal sings,

ongi ulagalandha uththaman paerpaadi
naangalnam paavaikkuch chatruneer aadinaal
theenginri naadellaaam thingalmum maaripeidhu
ongu perunchennel oodu kayalugala
poonguvalaip podhil porivandu kanpaduppa
thaengaadhae pukkirundha seerththa mulaipatri
vaangak kudamniraikkum vallal perumpasukkal
neengaadha selvam nirainthaelor empaavaai

If our land had adequate rains and was brimming with water in all its water
bodies in ancient days, it would have been only because of the prayer of
such noble souls, who embraced the prosperity and well-being of the human
race, and even all the living things as a whole.

So it is the duty of learned people to spread the importance of singing
songs like Thiruppavai, which not only benefits the person singing it, but
also the whole world.

I thought it would be beneficial if Thiruppavai singing or reciting
competitions are organized in temples wherever possible atleast during the
month of "Maargazhi". Children can be easily attracted to such competitions
by giving prizes.

Since we have hardly two months for Maargazhi, it would be good if efforts
are started now.

Let us all pray God for good rains and prosperity. Let us spread the
message of our saints.

aazhimazhaik kannaa! onru nee kaikaravael
aazhiyul pukku mugandhu kodaarththaeri
oozhi mudhalvan uruvampol meikaruththu
paazhiyan tholudaip parpanaa bhankaiyil
aazhipol minni valampuripol ninradhirndhu
thaazhadhae saarnga mudhaiththa saramazhaipol
vaazha vulaginil peidhidaai naangalum
maarghazhinee raada magizhndhaelor empaavaai

Narayana Narayana Narayana

Regards

R.Gopinathan

Loka samastaah sukhinah bhavanthu