You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Sep 2004

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00035 Sep 2004

Sep 2004 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

                     Sriman Naaraayanaya Namaha:
                    Srimathe Ramaanujaya Namaha:
                 Srimathe Vedaantha Desikaaya Namaha:

The avatar Sri Narasimha has been worshipped as a ugra swarupe. He IS
Sriman Narayana, since he came to protect Prahlada, a vishNu baktha.
He was also ugram since He did not come as a santha swarUpe for
hiranyAksha vadam.  The mantra rAjA in the vedam thus aptly
describes him as a combination of Hari and Hara. The manthram and
its power are described in the Atarva vedam in Nrisimha pUrvatApini
upanishat.

In Srivaishnava sampradayam we worship Sri Narasimha as
LakshmiNarasimha without emphasizing much of the ugra narasimha
aspects.

However here is the mathra rAjA and a short description.

'ugram vIram mahAvishNum  jwalantam sarvatomugam
nrusimham bIshaNam bhadram mruthyummruthym namAmyaham'

the meaning of this manthram is explained further in this
upanishat as follows:

yasmAt svamahimna sarvAn lokAn sarvAn deVan sarvAnAtmAna: sarvANe
bhutani utgruhNAti ajasrAm srujathi visrujati vivAsayati utgrAhyate|
stutihi shrutham gartasatam yuvAnam mruganna bIma mupahatnu mugram|
mrudA jaritre simha: stavAno anyante asmin nivapantu senA:
tasmAthtuchyata ugramithi||

An english tranlations is this:

He is called ugram because of his lofty actions he absorbs
all worlds, all devas, all jivas, all bhuthas, he creates, grows,
destroyus, and elevates to a higher status.

Nrusimha! even as you are praised by me now, please grant me endless
joy even as I live in this life. Let us ganAs be with me and
destroy my enemies.

It would be better if this mathram, upanishat and related stothras
are learned from a guru.

One should learn the Sri Nrushimha pancAmruta stothram also. The
Srivaishnava Sri Nrusimha stothrams would be available
at the Ahobila matam.

Just two verses from the Sri Nrusimha pancAmruta stothram to vet our
interests:

govinda keSava janardana vAsudeva
viSveSa viSwa madhusudana viSwarupa
SrI padmanAba purushotama pushkarAksha