You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Sep 2006

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00022 Sep 2006

Sep 2006 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Post 10

Dear sri vaishNava perunthagaiyeer,

We are continuing the study on seethaa's lakshaNa saasthra knowledge, her
beauty as said and seen by her ownself, raavaNan, hanumaan, and may be in this
post or in next, how raama reacts while he misses her and goes on describing
her beauty. First let us see a few points on that beautiful krithi 'kanugonu'
of thyaagaraaja - ST.

Some variations are also available on the krithi and hence I will add points on
that also.

1.      On the raagam selection by ST - it is naayaki - as I mentioned earlier
and repeated it many a times, here also thyaagaraaja uses very apt raagams to
suit to the situation in raamaayaNam what he wants to link his krithi.

2.      That raagam name itself to a large extent suggests what portion of
raamaayaNam is linked to his krithi. This krithi kanugonu is in 'naayaki'
raagam - hanumaan is just finding seethaa the 'heroine'- the naayaki of the
'story', in sundhara kaaNdam of raamaayaNam. So yet another instance of apt
selection of raagam for the krithi.

3.      The book of AK Gopalan publishers gives meaning of this krithi as
"raakshasargaLukkup pagaivan aana sree raamanudaiya karuNaiyudaiyavan
oruvanukku anRi thyaagaraajanukkuk kidaiththa indha inbam brahmanukkum
kidaikkumaa? Oridaththil dhEhamum, maRROr idaththil manamum vELaikkuth thakka
vEsham thariththu janangaLai EmaaRRubavargaLukku veRRi kidaikkumaa?"

4.      Given the situation of hanumaan having seen seethaa and raavaNan
appearing in asOka vanam at that time to see seethaa in the early morning,
perhaps hanumaan may think or say 'hey raavaNa are you going to get victory by
using all your disguises?'

5.      But what raavaNan is interested is - in seethaa. She is just in front
of her - his mind is also on her and his body desires her. Earlier at the
abduction time only he had a different disguise. Further hanumaan may / does
not know in which disguise raavaNan came and abducted seethaa.

6.      If that is the case, where is the need for hanumaan to think this way -
that hey raavaNaa your body is in one place, your mind in another place and you
puts on various disguises to suit time. [as stated by ST] [Actually now also
raavaNan has come in his royal dress only and not a disguise - for hanumaan has
already seen him in his bed while searching in the palace].

7.      The charaNam line has to be 'niDi janulanu Eluvaariki jayamoune
thyaagaraaju' and I have given meaning as in previous post - just repeated here
- According to Tyagaraja, all glories happen to those who have their body at
one place, mind at other place, and appropriate attire at some other place, yet
rule all living beings.

8.      But if we consider "Echuvaariki" this means deceiving and the meaning
given as above in AKG book seems ok. One more thing on this word 'Echuvaariki'
- this word appears to be a bit more conversational, colloquial and native.
Whereas ST's telugu diction is always superb. I do not think suddenly he will
go for a usage in a native way. That is why I take here as 'Eluvaariki' and
meaning is as given. Learned people of the lists can comment on this.

9.      Sree bhadraachala raamadhaas in his krithis sometimes uses a colloquial
word and that is commented by authors as slightly different and native, but not
thyaagaraaja.

10.  Now let us see vaalmeeki's slOkams describing hanumaan's reactions in
finding seethaa, then we will understand the krithi better.

Evam seethaam thadhaa dhrushTvaa hrushTa: pavana sambhava: |

jagaama manasaa raamam prasasamsa cha tham prabhum || 5-15-54

meaning: Hanumaan, then seeing Seethaa became happy thus and went by mind to
Raama and also praised that Lord.

11.  ST asks 'kanugonu soukhyamu kamalajukaina galgunaa' - since hanumaan has
struggled a lot to cross ocean and went to the extent of thinking 'if he misses
in his achievement of locating seethaa, then what all will happen - that he
will become the reason for entire kula naasam of ikshvaaku and vaanaraas' -
naturally he is happy now that he found seethaa. So thinks even brahmaa cannot
have this pleasure of seeing the dhEvi.

12.  Next look at the words of vaalmeeki - hanumaan went by mind to raama and
praised the lord. So hanumaan's body is here in asOka vanam - mind in aaraNyam
where raama is - now he is disguised in small form - as a small monkey hiding
himself in simsubhaa tree - hiding behind leaves - not to show his real big
gigantic roopam. That is what ST says -

thanu vOkachO, manasu OkachO, thagina vEsham OkachO,

niDi janulanu Eluvaariki jayamounE thyaagaraaju - kanugonu

13.  Also he has all blessings of raama - so naturally all success is
hanumaan's. again that is what ST says in anupallavi as -

dhanuja vairiyagu raamuni dhaya galgina nathani vinaa - kanugonu

[So please consider 'where is the question somebody cheating with different
disguises' as in the meaning given in book].

14.  Further who rules - in aaraNyam raama and here seethaa - even in lanka
seethaa is ruling - raavaNan in front of her - that poor fellow doing all
begging - genjal - 'hey seethaa please accept me, why not you accept me' etc.

15.  Another slOkam of vaalmeeki - See here hanumaan not only went by mind to
raama but also talked to him --

thaam dhrushTvaa nava hEma aabhaam lOka kaanthaam iva sriyam |

jagaama manasaa raamam vachanam cha idham abraveeth || 5-16-6

meaning: Seeing that Seethaa with the radiance of new gold, like the goddess
Lakshmi, delightful to the world, Hanumaan went by heart to Sri Raama, spoke
these words also.

16.  To reinforce hanumaan's happiness in seeing seethaa, and our topic of
seethaa's beauty, in turn, on her lakshaNa saasthram learnings, see few more
slokams.

malinEna thu vasthrENa pariklishTEna bhaamineem || 5-17-26

samvruthaam mruga saavaaksheem dhadharsa hanumaan kapi: |

thaam dhEveem dheena vadhanaam adheenaam bharthru thEjasaa || 5-17-27

rakshithaam svEna seelEna seethaam asitha lOchanaam |

meaning: The monkey Hanumaan saw that Seethaa, with great beauty, with black
eyes, covered by a cloth which was creased and dirty, with eyes of a deer, with
a pitiful face, not depressed due to the brilliance of her husband, protected
by her own character.

thaam dhrushTvaa hanumaan seethaam mruga saaba nibha eekshaNaam |

mruga kanyaam iva thrasthaam veekshamaaNaam samanthatha: || 5-17-28

dhahantheem iva ni:svaasai: vrukshaan pallava dhaariNa: |

samghaatham iva sOkaanaam dhu:khasya oormim iva uthithaam || 5-17-29

meaning: Hanumaan became happy on seeing Seethaa with eyes of a fawn, fearful
like a she-deer, seeing trees with young shoots, as though being burnt by
sighs, like a bundle of grief, with a wave of sorrow risen up.

thaam kshamaam suvibhakthaangeem vinaa aabharaNa sObhineem |

praharsham athulam lEbhE maaruthi: prEkshya maithileem || 5-17-30

meaning: Hanumaan, the son of wind god, on seeing Seethaa, that Seethaa like
the goddess earth, with well divided body parts shining even without ornaments,
obtained great joy.

harshajaani cha sO~asrooNi thaam dhrushTvaa madhirEkshaNaam |

mumuchE hanumaan thathra namaschakrE cha raaghavam || 5-17-31

meaning: Hanumaan on seeing Seethaa there with intoxicating eyes, shed tears of
joy and also paid obeisance to Sri Raama.

Point:  that is what ST puts as 'kanugonu soukhyamu kamalajukaina galgunaa' -
oh great. This bliss of finding or seeing and shedding tears of joy even
brahmaa cannot get. True.

namaskruthvaa raamaaya lakshmaNaaya cha veeryavaan |

seethaa darsana samhrushTO hanumaan samvruthO~abhavath || 5-17-32

meaning: Being joyful on seeing Seethaa, Hanumaan, the mighty one, paid
obeisance to Sri Raama and to LakshmaNa and became covered with leaves.

17.  This is what ST asks kanugonu soukhyamu kamalajukaina galgunaa. Further we
have already seen ST considers hanumaan as sivan - here in this world as sivan,
he has seen vishNu - raama, now lakshmi - seethaa. So he thinks, 'hey that
brahma - can he have this bliss of seeing seethaa here and now in this world. I
have already seen raama and had his blessing. .

With all this enjoy reading the krithi once again and we will continue on the
topic more in next post.

Dhasan

Vasudevan m.g.

DISCLAIMER:
  This Message and its contents is intended solely for the addressee and is
proprietary.Information in this mail is for L&T Business Usage only. Any Use to
other than the addressee is misuse and infringement to Proprietorship of L&T
ECC.If you are not the addressee please return the mail to the sender.L&T ECC
DIVISION

Yahoo! Groups Links