You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Sep 2007

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00003 Sep 2007

Sep 2007 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Respected Bhagavatas,

It is extremely pleasant to hear all these interpretations since they are all in line with what we do in practice. However Swami Desika Sampradaya is all about harmonisation of the various rules, regulations, statutes, guidance etc together referred to as Shruti and Smriti. For example in Rahasya Traya Saaram, Swami refers to innumerable works for relevant interpretations and sometimes shows the restrictions on certain meanings because there are other Shastras saying things a little differently. For example, he says that there is one vaakyam which says that whatever a Bhagavata says is to be respected since he is a prapanna. There is a position of some that a Bhagavata can get away with anything including gossip about others. However, Swami says that since other vakyams say that even Bhagavatas cannot gossip, the restricted meaning of the original vakyam is that whatever a Bhagavata says in relation to worship of God or other Bhagavataas alone needs to be respected. This is only an example. There are numerous other instances where Swami says that all the Shastras need to be respected and just because some of them are inconvenient to us, they should not be given up. If that were the case, we would be no different from the advaitins who do not respect the Karma Kanda as authentic. Nor do they accept the ghataka shrutis. Similarly if the shastras prohibit certain acts like kicking of cows or killing of Brahmins or crossing of seas, they have to be followed in word and spirit.

The main purpose of my original mail was to ask the learned Bhagavatas about the shloka, the translation of which said that the luminous bodies including the sun, move around the Meru mountain which is on the earth. Adiyen would like to know if the said translation is correct or whether there could be a more practical translation of the same.Adiyen would humbly request the intelligentsia to throw light on this for the benefit of the entire community.

Adiyen Ramanuja Dasan

----- Original Message ---- From: "tatachar@xxxxxxx" To: Ram Anbil ; srirangasri@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; Sudarsana Prasad srinivasan Cc: S. Prasanna Venkatesh Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2007 9:18:39 AM Subject: Re: [SriRangaSri] RE: Need Help Reg Upakarma Dear Bhagavathas, Another way of looking at Sri Anbil Swami's suggestion: Bharatavarsha/ Bharata KhanDa unlike Bhaarata refer to whole world. IkshvAkUnAm iyam bhUmih (Ths Earth belong sto ikshvAkUs) sa shail avana kAnana (including forests and mountains)! If we dive deep, USA belongs to India and vice versa! dAsan K.S. tAtAchAr

Ready for the edge of your seat? Check out tonight's top picks on Yahoo! TV. __._,_.___

__,_._,___
Respected Bhagavatas,

It is extremely pleasant to hear all these interpretations since they are all in line with what we do. However Swami Desika Sampradaya is all about harmonisation of the various rules, regulations, statutes, guidance etc together referred to as Shruti and Smriti. For example in Rahasya Traya Saaram, Swami refers to innumerable works for relevant interpretations and sometimes shows the restrictions on certain meanings because there are other Shastras saying things a little differently. For example, he says that there is one vaakyam which says that whatever a Bhagavata says is to be respected since he is a prapanna. Here there is a position of some that a Bhagavata can get away with anything including gossip about others. However, Swami says that since other vakyams say that even Bhagavatas cannot gossip, the restricted meaning of the original vakyam is that whatever a Bhagavata says in relation to worship of God or other Bhagavataas alone needs to be respected. This is only an example. There are numerous other instances where Swami says that all the Shastras need to be respected and just because some of them are inconvenient to us, they should not be given up. If that were the case, we would be no different from the advaitins who do not respect the Karma Kanda as authentic. Nor do they accept the ghataka shrutis. Similarly if the shastras prohibit certain acts like kicking of cows or killing of Brahmins or crossing of seas, they have to be followed in word and spirit.

The main purpose of my original mail was to ask the learned Bhagavatas about the shloka, the translation of which said that the luminous bodies including the sun, move around the Meru mountain which is on the earth. Adiyen would humbly request the intelligentsia to throw light on this for the benefit of the entire community.

Adiyen Ramanuja Dasan

Another way of looking at Sri Anbil Swami's suggestion:

Bharatavarsha/ Bharata KhanDa unlike Bhaarata refer to whole world.
IkshvAkUnAm iyam bhUmih (Ths Earth belong sto ikshvAkUs)
sa shail avana kAnana (including forests and mountains)!

If we dive deep, USA belongs to India and vice versa!

dAsan

K.S. tAtAchAr

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia