You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Sep 2007

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00021 Sep 2007

Sep 2007 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Namaskaram.

Adiyen's humble contribution to Vasudevan swami's wonderful postings
on Krishna's birth.

Those familiar with astrological texts know that the rules of
astrology are given  hidden in verses.
The Nadi texts too do not mention the birth of  a person in straight
verses. This is found to be the style of writing by those ancient
seers. The same style is seen in Sukha's description of Krishna janma.

To take up the doubts expressed by swamin,

(1)Atthatthatthin patthaam naal - is both rohini and thiruvonam.
all these 3, namely rohini, hastham and thiruvonam belong to the same
category and are ruled by the same planet, namely Chandran. They are
janma, anu-janma and thri-janma nakshthras (resepctively) of Krishna.
All the 3 bear a significance in a person's life.

It is also a way of saying that Krishna belongs to chandra varga ! -
something similar to how Sri rama is known as Rama chandra in a
different way - as a taraadhipan (chandran)in  Maruthi's  first
description about Srirama to Sita piratti in sundhara khandam (tasya
puthra priyO jyeshta 'taaradhipa' nibhaanana:)

Thus both Rama and krishna are manOkaraks, (chandran is mano-karakan)
 who rules our hearts.
While Rama was born as Taaradhipan, krishna was born in chandran's
nakshathra!

(2) The thiruvonatthan - As swami had stated all 27 stars are ruled by
devathas. Thiruvonam is ruled by none other than Vishnu. In astrology,
whenever we mention thiruvonam, we immediately link it to Vishnu since
the star and those born in that are close to Vishnu amsam, and  vishnu
rules them.

(3) ajana janma rksham - jana is one who is born (sprung). ajana is
not sprung, meaning the one who is always existent and is not born.
This person is descripton for Brahma as ati devata for rohini
nakshathra! Brahama is described like this. It is only apt that
Krishna, the always existant Reality chose this day as his birth day.
It is here the riddle is solved.

> Krishna was born on a chandra nakshthra (we guess any of the  3
rohini, hastham or thiruvonam)
> krishna was born on ajana janma rksha nakshthra - this clarifies
which of the 3 - since Brahma is indicated here, the star ruled by
him, namely rohini is deduced as the star of krishna's birth.

By not mentioning the month, sri sukhar perhaps wanted to stress on
the chandra connection - mano kaarak nature of krishna in pulling the
jivas minds to Him. Aavani is the constellation owned by Sun, this
perhaps made him omit it and instead harp on mano kaarak conenction.

The other details (in vishnu purana) are  explained in usual order
followed in astrology.

Rithu first - varsha rithu (this is applicble to souramana years /
solar years) This means either aavani or purattasi maasam only.

Then the month - said by the word nabahsi. Nabhas is the ruler of
aavani maasam. So next clarification is obtained here, Krishna was
born in Aavani month.

Then thithi (generally there is no practice to mention vaaram or day
in any texts - the reason may be that they dont follow any specific
pattern dependant on sun or moon's movement.)
Thithi is ashtami.

This description seems to be like a statement without adding any
qualitative description.

 Vachaka dosham kshanthavya:

Dasan,
Manivannan

-- In SriRangaSri@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "MG Vasudevan" <vasudevanmg@...> wrote:

> Dear sri vaishNava perunthagaiyeer,
>

> We continue studying sukhar and aazhvaar together on the week /
period of
> 'krishNa jayanthi'. Is it krishNa jayanthi? No sirs, it is 'sree
jayanthi'.
> That is the name given for 'krishNa jayanthi'.
>

> Coming back to that 'ajana janma rksham' of post 6
>
> 1. Meaning of 'ajana' as per Monier Williams Sanskrit English
dictionary is
> ? the instigator, Brahma, destitute of men, desert, an insignificant
person.

> 2. Janma is birth
>
> 3. Rksha ? is a bear, a species of ape, star, a constellation, lunar
> mansion, a particular star under which a person happens to be born.
>

> So 'ajana janma rksha' means ? brahma whose birth star is rOhini.
Actually
> we are not interested in birth of brahma or in fact about 'vasudhEva or
> aanaka dhundhubi' but we are interested in 'KRISHNA or vaasudhEva'
jananam.

> On that 'aththaththin paththaanaaL' - uththamoor swamy interprets ? do
> counting in the reverse order from 'hastham' ? which is 'rOhiNi' ?
annaaLil
> thOnRiya achchuthan ? krishNan ? this is what anbil swamy pointed out.
>

> But my point is - where is the slokam saying, it is that 'aavaNi or
bhaadhra
> or simha or sraavaNa maasam' 'ashtami thithi' etc. from sreemadh
> bhaagavatham?
>

> Perhaps Sree sukhar has left that for sage paraasara to deal and
give that
> reference ? his great grand father.
>

> For in slokam 5-1-77 ? the 5th amsam first sargam and slokam 77 of Sree
> Vishnu PuraaNam SVP, sree paraasara ? the author of Vishnu puraaNam
- states
> ?
>

> when bhoomi dhEvi appeals to lord, the supreme lord naaraayaNan says to
> yOgamaayaa -  [which we can see in sargam 2 of 10th canto - here - in
> bhagavatham- naarayaNa giving instructions to yogamaayaa]
>

> praavrushTa kaalE cha nabhasi krishNa ashtamyaam aham ni*s*i |
>
> uthpathsyaami navamyaam thu prasoothim thvam avaapyasi || 5-1-77
>

> here it is very clear
>
> praavrushta ? rainy season or varsha rithu
>
> nabhasi ? sraavaNa maasam or bhaadhra maasam ? [nabha, nabhas ? both are
> stated as July- August, and /or August- September in Monier Williams
> dictionary]
>
> krishNa ? the paksha - the dark fortnight ? [other one is sukla ?
the white]

> ashtami ? the 8th thithi
>
> aham uthpathsyaami ? I will spring forth or take birth
>

> It may be that the star is rOhini on that day which is not stated
here. So
> the detail is available in SVP.
>

> Let us continue in next post.
>

> Dhasan