You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Sep 2008

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00061 Sep 2008

Sep 2008 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SrI:
SrImathE Gopaladesika mahadesikaya nama:

Dearest all,

Today (Avani PuratthAdhi) is Sri Vazhutthoor Andavan Swamyâs (Sri Vedantha
Ramanuja Mahadesikan) Thirunakshathram. Let us pay our obeisance to this Great
Acharya by reciting the thaniyan (dedicatory verse) and contemplate its meaning:

Gopala Desika Padaabja Madhu Vratasya Pragnaa Virakti
Karunaa Mukha Sad Gunaabde/
Vedaanta Lakshmana Muneh Srita Bhagadeyam
Paadaaravinda Yugalam Saranam Prapadhye //

(Meaning)

He who is like bee residing in the (and sucking the honey from) the lotus feet
of Sri Thirukkudanthai Desikan, who was endowed with  a  sea of auspicious
qualities, knowledge, detachment and mercy, who showers His grace to those who
resort to him. adiyEn takes refuge at his feet with no other recourse.

Let us enjoy our unparalleled Acharya Paramparai.

Our Greatest AchArya parampara starts with Sriman Narayanan.

Sriman Narayanan.
Sri Mahalakshmi
Sri VishvaksEnar (sEnai nAthan- commander in chief)
Sri SaTakOpar (nammAzhwAr)
Sri nAthamuni
Sri puNdarIkAkshar (uyyakkoNdAr)
Sri rAmamisrar (maNakkAl nambhi)
Sri yAmunAchAryar (ALavandhAr)
Sri mahApUrNar (Periya nambhi)
Sri rAmAnujar (udayavar- EmperumAnAr- yathirAjar)

In between Ramanuja and Vedanta Desika, the most important disciples
(descendents) of Ramanuja are:

1. PiLLAn, VishNuchitthar, NadAdhUr ammAL, AppuLLAr and Vedanta Desika.
2. EmbAr, Parasara bhattar, Numjeeyar, NampiLLai, Vadakku thiruveedhipiLLai,
PeriyavAcchAnPillai, PillailOkAryar, followed by SrIsailar
(ThiruvAymozhipiLLai), Sri Manavala mamunigaL. (one can trace upto his present
AchArya from the above.)

>From Swamy Desikan on Rahasyagrantha paramparai (which is also SamAsrayaNa
>paramparai) the tree upto Tirukkudanthai Desikan is as given below:

SRI VEDANTA DESIKAN
Sri Brahmathanthra swathanthrar
GatikAsatham ammAL
VaradavishNvAchAryar
MahAdayAdheesar
Vaathsya AhobilAchAryar
Vaathsya VaradAchAryar
Shashta parAnkusa SwAmy
Sri Panchamatha bhanchanam thAtha Desikan
Vaathsya AnathAchAryar
RamanujAchAryar
VenkatAchAryar
VeerarAghavAchAryar
Sri Rangapathi Desikar
Ranganatha Swamy
Sri Saakshaath Swamy (reported to be an avtaar of Sri Ramanuja,- as Swamy
Desikan had longed to have direct AchArya sambandham with Emperumaanaar Sri
Ramanujacharya. (as Swamy Desikan lived from 1268 CE to 1369 CE, he naturally
could not have the bhAgyam of enjoying the darshan of studying directly under
Sri Ramanuja (1017 to 1137 CE)

TIRUKKUDANTHAI DESIKAN (1700 CE to 1782 CE) (an avtaar of Swamy Desikan,
fulfilling his desire to study at the feet of Ramanujacharya)- Sri
Munithraya sampradAya Pravartthakar.

This Swamy, who was also Sri Gopaalaarya Mahadesikan, completed the whole
course of his studies at the feet of Sri Saakshaath Swamy. Sri Saakshaath Swamy
blessed the disciple to settle down at Kumbakonam (Tirukkudanthai) and spread
the sampradayam. Sri Gopaladesika mahadesikan was in his 30 years of age when
many disciples flocked to him. There were three sanyaasis (namely Sri
Srinivasamuni, VazhutthUr Sri Vedantharamanujamuni and Sri Ranganatha muni, who
were considered to be amsam â avtaar of Sri Yamunamuni- sri Alavandhar, Sri
Ramanujamuni and Sri Nathamuni respectively..) in their
saffron attire, were attending on Sri Tirukkudanthai Desikan (a gruhastha
AchAryan).

Thus, since there were three munis (sanyaasis) at the feet of Sri
Tirukkudnathai desikan, He is called Munithraya sampradaya pravartthakar.

Vazhutthoor Andavan (Sri Vedantha ramanuja muni) had more followers than the
other two. His propagation brought the Acharya vamsa vruksham to a very
prominent status. One thing needs to be mentioned here. When this Swamy
approached Sri Tirukkudanthai Desikan, he prostrated at his feet
saying..âtheera vinaigaL theera ennai Andaay! Thirukkudanthai ooraa! â
(from sri NammAzhwArâs ThiruvAymozhi 5.8- Oh Resident of Tirukkudanthai! You
have ruled me, dispelling all my karmic diseasesâ. Sri Tirukkudanthai desikan
said to him..âSince you mentioned this line.. hereafter you will be the one
who will rule and propagate â blessed the Acharyan. . (Andaan- and hence he
was called as Andavan- THUS came Sri Andavan Ashramam)

Sri VazhutthUr Andavan- Sri Vedantha Ramanujamuni became the real
torchbearer of Sri Tirukkudanthai Desikan- Sri Gopalarya Mahadesikan.

Sri Vedantha Ramanuja Mahadesikan (Sri VazhutthUr Andavan) had the following
main disciples

1. Sri Annayarya Mahadesikan and thus came in Sri Valayapettai Swamy
Paramparai.
2. Sri Vedantha Ramanuja mahadesikan (Sri Andikkaadu Swamy- Sri Vangheepuram
Swamy) â Sri Rangaramanuja mahadesikan- Sri Kedhaandipatti Swamy Paramparai
(from which we were blessed with Sri KozhiyAlam Swamy- Sri Utthamoor Swamy
paramparai; Sri Ramadesikacharyar; Sri Madhuranthakam Swamy et al)
3. SRI SRINIVASA RAMANUJA MAHADESIKAN- Sri TirutthuRaippooNdi Andavan

Sri Srinivasa Mahadesikan- Sri Thirutthurai Poondi Andavan, had the disciple
Sri Srinivasa Mahadesikan (PERIYANDAVAN) also called Sri Vatthal Swamyâ

Please read and enjoy this article on Sri Tirukkudanthai Desikan
http://www.the-hindu.com/2000/09/29/stories/13291364.htm

from The Hindu written by Sri U Ve Dr VN Vedantha Desikan, an ardent sishya of
Srimad Poundarikapuram Andavan His Holiness Sri ParavakkOTtai Andavan Sri
Gopaladesika Mahadesikan.

Sri VazhutthUr Andavan was born in the star of  Poorattadi  in  the  month  of
AvaNi in 1743 CE..

He  was  also known as Srirangam Srimad Andavan, as he stayed in Srirangam
almost permanently. Each of his sishyas (as listed above)
had many sishyas and Samparadyam grew to a great extent and hence this Swamy is
known as one of huge family (big kudumbam), also called âKudumbi Swamiâ

The term âAndavanâ- meaning one who came to rule the hearts
of  his  followers was coined and applied reverentially not only to him but
also  to  all Acharyas who came after him. Thereafter, the Parampara itself
came   to   be   called  âSrimad Andavan   Paramparai, propagating the
munithraya sampradayam. Other than Sri Pakalamutt and Sri Ahobila Mutt, all
other AchAryas of Vadakalai sect today trace back to Sri Vedantha Ramanuja Muni
(Sri VazhutthUr Andavan).

Large number of disciples used to attend his kaalakshepams due to his
greatness. Once when a new series of kaalakshepam was about to start,
disciples recited the thaniyan and were about to start. There was a king cobra
which came out of its hole and had its hood raised. Immediately one of the
sishyas took a stick to beat and kill.  Swamy the most compassionate as usual
took pity of this being and asked the sishya not to disturb or hurt the snake.
They proceeded with the kaalakshepam (in a tense situation perhaps for
sishyas).  The Cobra stood still till the end and disappeared after
kaalakshepam was over.

This  extraordinary event was  happening repeated everyday. The snake became
one of the regular attendees too. After the grantham was completed, Swamy was
descending the steps of the tank  for his Anushtanam, the Cobra went around him
 and  struck  its  hood  on  the ground three times and appeared to beg
something.

The Acharya understood that it was a Mahapurusha in the previous birth  and
had become a Cobra by some curse and that it was seeking relief from  Samsara.
Plucking  a  fruit from a tree nearby, he offered it to his Aradhana  murthi
and  performed  Aartha  Prapatti for the Cobra. Vazhuthur Andavan  sprinkled
some holy waters on the Cobra which was waiting for him to come. Instantly, it
passed away. (from Sri Anbil Ramaswamy Swamyâs article and Sri Thirukudanthai
Desikan 300 the Anniversary malar)

GuruparamparA smaraNam is the most important and essential one. It is the most
necessary deed, which is nithya karma; naimittika karma, as well as kAmyam too.
This can also be for prAyaschittham for oneâs pApam. It grants everything
that we wish for.

Sri Vazhutthur Andavan ThiruvadigaLE SaraNam

Regards
asmadhAchArya paryanthAm vandhE GuruparamparAmâ

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)