You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Feb 2003

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00101 Feb 2003

SrimatE Raamaanujaaya Namaha //
SrimatE Nigamaanta Mahaa Desikaaya Namaha //
SrIman! SrI Ranga Sriyam anubadravam anudhinam Samvardhaya/
SrIman! SrI Ranga Sriyam anubadravam anudhinam Samvardhaya//
KAvEri VardhathAm kAlE, kAlE varshathu vAsava: /
SrI RanganAthO jayathu Sri Ranga Sri cha VardhathAm//
SRI RANGA SRI VOL.04 / ISSUE # 13 A dated 13th February 2003
ADDENDUM AND AN ANNOUNCEMENT
Dear Bhagavatas:

EDITORIAL
IN THIS ISSUE:
1. DESIKAMRUTAM II:
SWAMI DESIKA?S SIMILES ?UPAMA? Part 25 (107 and 108)
By Sri Anbil Ramaswamy
In the last issue SRS 4.13 dated 12th February 2003, the topic on Swami Desika?s Similes mentioned above was somehow not included. We present the same here.
2. QUESTION BOX REPLIES:
Some reader asked for the source details of two Sanskrit SlOkas. While we answered the one on the invisible witnesses to one?s actions, Vide SRI RANGA SRI VOL 03 / ISSUE 26 dated 24th April 2002, the Answer to the other question on ?When a lie is considered harmless?? was left out. We present the same here.
3. CONSUMERS? ASSOCIATION OF INDIA (CAI)
While in India, I was a Member of the Executive Committee of the ?Consumers? Protection Council in Chennai. I continue to be a member even now. This Council has been doing wonderful work in protecting the interests of Consumers. The Council has been renamed as ?Consumers? Association of India? with All India recognition (CAI). This is a Non-Profit Organization engaged in Social service to the needy consumers. The CAI wishes to bring to the notice of well-wishers in USA and elsewhere on their activities. Though this does not fall within the mission statement of ?Sri Ranga Sri?, by way of recognition of the yeomen service (kainkaryam) done by CAI for the defenseless consumers, the appeal is featured for the information of members. Those interested in knowing more about this or like to take part and help in their efforts may kindly contact the Trustee.
Dasoham
Anbil Ramaswamy
Editor & Publisher
?Sri Ranga Sri?
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
1. DESIKAMRUTAM II:
SWAMI DESIKA?S SIMILES ?UPAMA? Part 25 (107 and 108)
By Sri Anbil Ramaswamy
In the last issue SRS 4.13 dated 12th February 2003, the topic on Swami Desika?s Similes mentioned above was somehow not included. We present the same here.

107
?VEda Vaideeka SaastrangaLir sollugira niyamangaLai baahyarum kudrishTigaLum braantiyaalE viDugiraviDam ?Taamasa tyaagam??
?KuDumba bharaNaadigaLukku alaindu SannyaasaadigaLaip patruvaaraip pOleE duhka roopaigaLaana Pravritti ? NivrittigaLukku Sombi viDugiraviDam Raajasa tyaagam..?
Meaning:
?Those who are outside the pale of the Vedas and those who hold heretical views give up, owing to delusion, these restrictions and regulations that are ordained in the Vedas and the Sastras based on Vedas. This kind of renunciation is due to ?Tamas???Giving up of activities and abstentions which are of the nature of pain is renunciation due to ?Rajas?. His Tyaga is like that of the man who becomes Sannyasin because of the difficulties in maintaining a family?

108
?Ib bhagavad preeti-prayOjanamaaga anushTikkira ip preetikku mOkshamum phalamaaga kOlaatE poorva prapattiyaal piranda Parama kaaruNikan prasaadathaalE mOksham siddham enru ninaithu muktanUDaiya kainkaryam pOlavum, arOganuDaiya paal vaartu uNNugai pOlavum anushTikkai Saatvika Tyaagathin ellai nilamaagak kaDavadu. Idu Pasittu uNbaar maatram. Ingan allaada pOdu OTTathukku appam tinbaar maatram?
Meaning:
?The Prapanna should not ask for even mOksham as a reward, for he should realize that, by the grace of the All-merciful Lord which has been won by the Prapatti performed earlier, mOksha is certain. This would resemble a healthy man eating food with milk (without any thought of the cure from illness to be obtained from milk). Such a code of conduct is the highest limit of renunciation due to ?Sattvam?. This is like eating food when one is hungry. Otherwise, their conduct would resemble that of one who eats cakes for winning a wager. They cannot derive any true pleasure there from and cannot relish the food?
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
2. QUESTION BOX REPLIES:
Some reader asked for the source details of two Sanskrit SlOkas. While we answered the one on the invisible witnesses to one?s actions, Vide SRI RANGA SRI VOL 03 / ISSUE 26 dated 24th April 2002, the Answer to the other question on ?When a lie is considered harmless?? was left out. We present the same here.
Q.17. Saastras provide for uttering lie in certain circumstances. What are those circumstances?

Answer:
There are 5 circumstances when a lie is not considered a lie, as per the following Sloka in Dharma Saastra.
Vivaaha kaalE rathi samprayOgE praaNaathyayE sarva dhanaapahaarE /
Mitrasyacha aarthEpi anrutham vadEyu: pancha anrutaani aahuh a-paatakaani //
1. Wedding (vivaha kaalE)
2. Conjugal enjoyment (rathi samprayOgE)
3. When faced with danger for life (PraaNathyayE)
4. When one is robbed of all one possesses (Sarva DhanaapahaarE)
5. For protecting a friend from danger (Mitrasya aarththE)
This SlOkam occurs in Mahaabhaaratam, KarNa Parvam- 69.
[...]

Ref. No.CAI/VYY/SB/160
Dated 13.02.03

Mr. A. K. Ramaswamy,
Email: ramanbil@xxxx

Dear Mr. Ramaswamy,
Following is a write up about CONSUMERS ASSOCIATION OF INDIA.

Rapid industrialisation, low level of transparency in Government Departments, and inefficient, substandard service is adding to the woes of the consumer in India

The Consumer Protection Act, 1986 brought marginal improvement in that the consumers had separate quasi-judicial Consumer Disputes Redressal agencies in our country. Unlike the Civil Courts which only after a long delay could punish the offender, the Consumer Protection Act (CPA) gave total redressal to consumers in getting back what they lost with interest, compensation for mental agony and costs.

Today, there are over 3,000 registered Voluntary Consumer Organizations in the country, doing good service, but their service is confined to their locality. There is no single consumer organization with a large all India membership. It is only the strength of members that can make a consumer organization strong enough to deal with all problems faced by consumers. This is what encouraged us to start and build an organization like CONSUMERS ASSOCIATION OF INDIA, with a large membership base that would be a force to reckon with.

1. PEOPLE BEHIND CAI
The Consumers Association of India (CAI) was founded on 15th March 2001 and registered as a Voluntary Charitable Trust. It is managed by a panel of trustees comprising -
Mr. R. Desikan, Consumer Activist/Journalist, Mr. V.Y.Yegnaraman, Consumer Activist, Mr. K. Krishna Kumar, Consultant Logistics, Dr.T.K.Partha Sarathy, The Vice Chancellor, Sri Ramachandra Medical College & Research Institute, Mr. R. Ramakrishnan, Former Executive Director & Technical Advisor, Ashok Leyland and Mr. P.K. Ranganathan, Retired, Additional Director General, Geological Survey of India.

2. OUR OBJECTIVE:
CAI?s objective is to build the consumer movement as a Citizen-Consumer power in India by enrolling as many associate members as possible and spreading consumer awareness amongst them.

3. OUR ACHIEVEMENTS:
¨ We have enrolled over 3000 members during the first year of our operations.

¨ We have helped over 1,500 members to get redressal for their consumer complaints.

¨ We have conducted 8 seminars under the Responsibilities & Rights series to educate consumers on their responsibilities and rights. The topics were Patients & Hospitals, Advertising & Sales Promotion, Rational Use of Drugs, Police & Traffic Management, Motor Insurance, Pension Funds, Medical Insurance, Safety & Helmets,

¨ Consumer?s Guide to Diagnostic Medical Tests-a comprehensive, handy reference guide for the consumer written by a doctor of international repute has just been published. Price Rs.200/- per copy.

4. WHAT WE CAN ACHIEVE TOGETHER:
¨ Our strength as a national body, with a large membership base, will make us a force to reckon with - a voice that will be heard in circles that matter.

¨ Associate Members of CAI will be able to exercise their rights.

¨ CAI can provide guidance on topics of consumer interest thereby providing an opportunity to represent the problems of the community around you.

¨ Important events and news on topics of consumer interest can be publicized through Consumer?s Digest.
V.Y. YEGNARAMAN
Trustee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia
srirangasri-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
To subscribe to the list