You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Apr 2003

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00110 Apr 2003

Apr 2003 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Dear Bhagavatas:
In the posting below, Sri MK Srinath Iyengar has drawn our attention
to a parallel scene in Srimad RamayaNa on the above subject.
Since our focus was on "Sundara KhaaNdam" and due to space constraints,
we had to leave off comparative references on the subject.
Thanks, Sri Srinath, for your input.
Dasoham
Anbil Ramaswamy
Sri Rangapriya caraNou SaraNam prapadhye
Dear Sri Anbil mama,
aDiyEn, dAsan.
Thanks for yet another treat through Sri Ranga Sri, it was as usual, great.
Reading on Suicidal thoughts by Sri Hanuman and Sri sita and the analysis of
'Jeevan BhadraNi paSyati' were very interesting.

It is also very interesting to note the same term usage "Jeevan BhadraNi
paSyati" under totally a different context by the 'other side'.

RavaNa persuades mArica to distract Rama and they both hide behind bushes near
Sri Rama's hut to closely watch their movements before planning the abduction
of Sri sita. As the time drew by, mAriCa however develops cold feet at the
sight of well built masculine rAma, and the very thought of tasting his arrows
again (once in the past along with subahu when rAma was just eight years old)
makes his legs go weak.

He musters all his courage, faces his king and says " Oh rAvaNa, this is not
going to work, I know rAma's valour and his strength. This is really suicidal,
let's go back. 'Jeevan, BhadraNi paSyati'- if we are alive, we can see better
days, this is not a way to die"

Then, of course rAvaNa thretens to kill mArica himself if he did not obey his
command. mAtiCa decides it is better to die in rAma's hands than this demon and
acts further to meet his doom.

rAmayaNam is such a katha sAgara, it has many similar looking gems, but are
different!aDiyEn Sri rAmanuja dAsan,
Shrinath Iyengar