You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Jun 2003

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00116 Jun 2003

Jun 2003 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SrimatE Raamaanujaaya Namaha //
SrimatE Nigamaanta Mahaa Desikaaya Namaha //
SrIman! SrI Ranga Sriyam anupadravam anudhinam Samvardhaya/
SrIman! SrI Ranga Sriyam anupadravam anudhinam Samvardhaya//
KAvEri VardhathAm kAlE, kAlE varshathu vAsava: /
SrI RanganAthO jayathu Sri Ranga Sri cha VardhathAm//
SRI RANGA SRI VOL.04 / ISSUE # 25 dated 6th June 2003
GUIDELINES FOR CONTRIBUTORS TO ?SRI RANGA SRI? AND ?SATSANGAM?
Dear Baghavatas:

The description of ?Satsangam? site is as follows:
?This is an adjunct group of "Swami Desika Darsana Satsangam" (SDDS) for discussing the tenets, principles and practices of Srivaishnavam (other than those covered in "Sri Ranga Sri", the Electronic Journal of SDDS). Discussions may be made politely and with due regard for the susceptibilities and sentiments of both participants and others. Tolerance and moderation in expression should be the bottom line of postings and should be supported by appropriate PramaaNams from Azhwars and Poorva and Prakrutam Achaaryas of Bhagavad Ramanuja - Swami Vedanta Desika Satsampradaayam. Any member can post but they will appear only after approval by the Moderator. The views expressed are not necessarily nor completely those of the Owners / Moderators?

It will be clear from the above description that quotes from and views of sources such as Naastikas and Maayavaadins, Amritanada Maayis and KaruNaa Mayis, Aurobindos and Chaitanyas, Chinmayanandas, Dayaanandas and Sivaanandas, Gaudiyas, Gaurangas and Goswamis, Ramaanandas and Rajneeshs, Iskcons, Mahesh Yogis and Babas of different hues, foreign authors and such others outside the Bhagavad Ramanuja - Swami Desika Satsampradaayam cannot find a place in either of our sites (unless they are exactly in concurrence with our Satsampradaayam).

AS ? SATSANGAM? IS ALSO AN ADJUNCT OF SDDS, THE GUIDELINES OF ?SRI RANGA SRI? WILL BE EQUALLY APPLICABLE TO ?SATSANGAM? ?mutatis mutandis?. The following administrative guidelines will be applicable to both ?Sri Ranga Sri? and ?Satsangam? as well.

SOME ADMINISTRATIVE GUIDELINES

1. COPYCAT VERSIONS:
The guidelines requesting that Copycat versions of the same postings sent to multiple groups may not be submitted to ?Sri Ranga Sri? will hold good for ?Satsangam? also. We welcome postings EXCLUSIVELY, we repeat, EXCLUSIVELY for featuring in either of our sites.

However, as a mark of respect to the moderators of fraternal lists, they may choose to post their articles to either ?Sri Ranga Sri? or ?Satsangam? in addition to their own lists, provided such articles are not marked to multiple other lists. (Please see also Exceptions in the last paragraph of this note)

2. PRAMANAMS:
Often, it is seen that personal opinions and speculations are projected on many issues, leading to never ending arguments and counter arguments that divert the focus. Appropriate authority (PramaaNams) preferably with *actual quotes* from *Saatvic* scriptures should be provided in support of any view points presented.

3. LANGUAGE:
Our membership is drawn from a cross section of population belonging to various linguistic groups (Telugu, Kannada, Bengali, Gujarati etc), regional groups (Punjab to Kerala and Maharashtra to West Bengal etc) and religious groups (Srivaishnavas and other Non-Srivaishnavas of different persuasions) and with different backgrounds not only from India but also from the world over, but who are nevertheless eager to learn about our Sampradaayam. This includes youngsters born and /or brought up outside our environment and either not exposed to our Sampradaayam or with different levels of exposure.

The employment of too much cliché-ridden expressions peculiar to our Sampradaayam and technical jargon (Paribaashai in Tamil and Sanskrit), while professing to educate readers not familiar with these languages will turn them away instantly. To make us understood and be useful to these segments also, it is necessary to speak to them the language they can easily understand and refer to episodes they can readily relate to. Otherwise, it will defeat the very purpose of educating them through our postings but will be seen only as an attempt to show off one's professed erudition!

It should be remembered that we are not seeking to educate scholars who may perhaps appreciate our Paribaashai, though they may not need our instructions anyway!

The explanations may be given in English and wherever necessary, the linguistic expressions provided in parenthesis. This will probably satisfy both the segments.

4. "ORIGINAL MESSAGES"
While replying to points of another contributor, please take care to delete the "Original message" in your reply, IF the original message had appeared already in our message boards.
If necessary,
(i) The "Subject" of the original message may be "cited" or
(ii) The Name of the archive and the Message number therein provided or
(iii) The excerpts from original to which the reply is directly related, may be quoted to make sure that the reply is to the point raised.

Please do not allow the entire message to appear again in your reply.
A repetition of a string of correspondence on the same subject will consume the bandwidth unnecessarily.

5. BE PRECISE AND TO THE POINT WHILE REPLYING:
It is noticed that sometimes, Scholars who offer to answer questions do not take care to meet the precise point at issue but skirt around waxing on irrelevant data, leaving the questioner no wiser after reading their explanations, than where they found themselves before posing their queries. It is requested that those who seek to educate should stick to the exact points raised when they venture to explain.
Let us remember:
? Wise men talk because they have something to say.
Others talk because they have to say something!?

6. EXHORTATIONS:
Similarly, simply exhorting readers to do this or not do that in AnushTaanamsand observances, without providing adequate PramaaNam from authoritative scriptures underlying such instructions might be viewed as inane platitudes or mere rigmarole or just blah- blah and are liable to be dismissed outright by the readers.

7. LENGTH OF ARTICLES:
It is our experience that readers tend to skip long articles. It would be desirable to limit articles to a maximum of say, 2 pages, so that we can accommodate more contributors. If necessary, a series of articles on the same subject may be submitted in more than one posting.

8. SPELLING / GRAMMAR CHECKING AND LENGTH OF LINES:
The responsibility for spelling and grammar checking in your posting rests with you. Please ensure these checks before posting. Also, please make sure that the right margin is set to accommodate not more than 60 ? 65 characters per line. This is because, due perhaps to technical reasons, some providers truncate the lines making it difficult to read.

9. DIACRITICAL NOTATIONS:
As far as possible, please use the diacritical marks accepted in standard dictionaries, while transliterating Sanskrit, Tamil, Hindi and other Indian language terms into English. An attempt at an unnatural and artificial mix up of contrived notations may appear as novel experiment but would only create more problems in reading than in solving!

10. APPEALS FOR FUNDS:
Would anyone venture to appeal for funds for an avowedly unworthy cause?
No appeal for funds is normally made except under the cloak of some ?worthy? cause or other.

The money spinning technique of con artists to beguile the gullible and credulous folks by playing upon their humanitarian emotions and sympathy have been so perfected that the pretext of ?helping a worthy cause? is routinely touted as a useful ploy. (For example, a recent appeal was for a medical treatment that was found to be false).

We should not fall for these.

The same holds good for the some of the much too numerous appeals for funds for this, that or the other ?kainkaryams? flashed on the Internet day in and day out impacting on the sentimental susceptibilities of Bhaagavatas.

Complaints have surfaced, of late, regarding misuse of funds collected in the name of so called ?worthy projects?.

This is not to say that all appeals are of this kind.

IMPORTANT:

IN FACT, APPEALS BEARING THE SPECIFIC OFFICIAL SPONSORING BY THE YATIVARAS THEMSELVES OF MATAMS AND ASHRAMAMS (LIKE AHOBILA MATAM, PARAKLAALA MATAM, POUNDARIKAPURAM ASHRAMAM, PERIYASHRAMAM, VANAMAMALAI MATAM ETC.) CAN BE FREELY POSTED.

All other appeals solicited by individuals for funds for whatever ?kainkaryam? will be allowed only with the express undertaking that the solicitor ensures the following:
(i) Officially acknowledging the receipt of contributions submitted
(ii) Utilization of the funds fully and precisely for the purposes for which they are proposed to be mobilized through their appeal and
(iii) Adequate audit and accounting are in place to the entire satisfaction of the donors
(iv) Responsibility to personally indemnify the donors against any inconvenience or loss due to any irregularity that might come to light at any time, with regard to their solicitation.

In the absence of such undertaking, we may be seen as encouraging indiscriminate fund-raising appeals and also become liable for any potential legal action later on, given the conduct of numerous trusts that have mushroomed and disappeared with the collections

11. QUESTION BOX QUERIES:
Queries on doubts relating to the philosophy (Siddhaantam) and practices (AnushTaanams) may be addressed to "Satsangam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" with the words "Question Box" in the subject column.

Only queries received as above will be entertained and replied to in ?Satsangam?

12. EXCEPTIONS:-
- Special announcements of Tele-Upanyaasams, -
- Talks on SrivaishNava principles and practices,
- Tele-Stotram classes.
- Availability of books, Cassettes, CDs etc.,
- Virus warnings and
- Such other "time-sensitive" matters are welcome for the information of members.
- The Moderator reserves the right to allow postings of exceptional quality, appearing elsewhere with the permission of the authors. Moderators of other lists may, likewise, feel free to repeat in their lists any messages appearing in our lists, if they are found fit to be published in their sites.
- Further exceptions will be announced based on experience and as needed.
Thank you for your patience, understanding and co-operation.
Those who wish to join ?Satsangam? may send an email to:
?Satsangam-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx?
Dasoham
Anbil Ramaswamy
Editor & Publisher