You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Sep 2005

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00179 Sep 2005

Sep 2005 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SrimatE Raamaanujaaya Namaha //
SrimatE Nigamaanta Mahaa Desikaaya Namaha //
SrIman! SrI Ranga Sriyam anupadravam anudhinam Samvardhaya/
SrIman! SrI Ranga Sriyam anupadravam anudhinam Samvardhaya//
KAvEri VardhathAm kAlE, kAlE varshathu vAsava: /
SrI RanganAthO jayathu Sri Ranga Sri cha VardhathAm//
SRI RANGA SRI VOL.06 / ISSUE # 27 dated 09/17/05
IN THIS ISSUE:
1. IMPORTANT DAYS IN PPURATTASI (KANYA) MONTH
2. REPORT ON MY TRIP TO INDIA
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
1. IMPORTANT DAYS IN PURATTASI (KANYA) MONTH
DATE/ENGLISH)/DAY/NAKSHATRAM/ (THITHI)/ EVENT/ REMARKS
01/ 09.17.05 / Saturday/ Sadayam/ Chaturdasi-PourNami/ Purattasi begins
02/ 09.18.05 / Sunday/ Poorattadi/ PourNami-Prathamai/  MahaLaya Paksham
begins
05/ 09.21.05 / Wednesday/ BaraNi/ Panchami/ MahabharaNi
09/ 09.25.05 / Sunday / Mrigaseersham/. AshTami/ MadhyaashTami, Maha
Vyateepadam
10/ 09.26.05/ Tiruvadirai/ Navami/ VeLiyanallur Narayana MD (PPA)
12/ 09.28.05/ Wednesday/ Poosam/ Dasami-Ekadasi / Vaanamaamalai Jeeyar
13/09.29.05/ Thursday/Ayilyam/ KrishNapaksha Ekaadasi/ Sannyasta MahaaLayam
14/ 09.30.05 / Friday/ Magam/ Dvaadasi/ Koil Kandadai Vadula Appan
16/ 10.02.05 / Sunday Uthram/ Chaturdasi/ Sastrahata MahaaLayam, Bodaayana
Amaavaasya
17/ 10/03/05 / Monday/ RohiNi/ MAHALAYA AMAVAASYA/ SOLAR ECLIPSE
18/ 10.04.05 / Tuesday/ Hastam/ Pratamai/ NAVARATRI POOJA begins
20/ 10.06.05 / Thursday/ Swati/ Triteeyai/ Sadagopa YMD (AM)
22/ 10.08.05 / Saturday/ Kettai/ Panchami/
AADIVANN SATAKOPAR (AM)
24/ 10.10.05 / Monday/ Pooradam/ Saptami/
TIRUKKUDANTAI GOPALA DESIKA MAHA DESIKAN
26/10.12.05 / Wednesday/ Sravanam/ Navami-Dasami/
VAISHNAVA SARASWATI POOJA,
TIRUVENKATTAMUDAIYAN,
SRIMAD VEDAANTA DESIKAN,
BRAHMA TANTRA SWATANTRA PARAKAALA SWAMY,
PADUKA SEVAKA RAMANUJAR (P.344)
27/ 10.13.05 / Thursday/ Avittam/ Dasami-Sukla Paksha Smaarta Ekaadasi,
VIJAYA DASAMI
28/ 10.14.05 / Friday/ Sadayam/ Dvaadasi/ SRIVAISHNAVA EKAADASI
29/ 10.15.05 / Saturday/ Poorattadi/ TrayOdasi/ Koil Kandadai Vadula ANNan
30/10.16.05 / Sunday/ Utrattadi/ Chaturdasi/ Gajachaayai,
ENGALAANDAVAN AKKUR ANDAVAN (PA)
31/ 10.17.05 / Monday/ Revati/ PourNami/ Tulaa Ravi/ CHANDRA GRAHANAM
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
2. REPORT ON MY TRIP TO INDIA
Dear Bhagavatas:

You will remember my offer to post a detailed Report on my recent trip to
India. Though the stay in India was about 3 ½ months, there is not much to
write home about. As I indicated already, persistent heat that seemed an
unending summer practically immobilized me for most part of the stay in
India.

In spite of this, by the grace of Divya Dhampatis, I could visit Srirangam,
Tiru Anbil (my native place) Tirupati, Kanchipuram, Tiruvaheendra puram,
Tiruvallur, TiruvallikkeNi, Srinivasar Koil at Purasaivakkam (where I was
born, brought up and educated till my graduation) besides Bank and  Luz
Anjaneyar Koils in Mylapore etc.

I had also the bhaaghyam of paying my obeisance personally to all Acharyas:
H.H. Azhagiyasinghar, H.H. Poundarikapuram Andavan, H.H. Srirangam Srimad
Andavan, H.H. Parakaala Mutt Jeeyar, H.H. Rangapriya Yathi and many others
and submit copies of my new book.

AT BANGALORE:

We left on 17th May 2005. I arrived in Chennai on 20th May 2005 and
proceeded to Bangalore for carrying out proof corrections to the proposed
?Myths, Miracles and Mysticism in Hinduism ? What do they signify?? under
the series ?Explaining the Unexplained? that was being printed there. The
cover was designed by the Atlanta based talented couple, Smt Janaki and Sri
Sampathkumar Padmanabhan to reflect how the mystery surrounding our stories
in scriptures were sought to be unraveled. The color scheme for the front
and back covers was designed by Smt Mamatha Lokanath (my daughter-in-law).
My heartfelt thanks to them.

The anecdotes in the book were earlier featured in ?Sri Ranganatha Paduka?
journal (official journal of Periyasramam). Sri Ramanuja Mission invited me
to come to Maryland temple a couple of days before leaving USA to India
(on15th June 2005) to confer the title ?Kaimkarya Rathnam? in recognition of
what they termed as ?lifetime achievement in propagating Ramanuja?s
philosophy outside India? and they agreed to publish the book.

AT SRIRANGAM

Asmad Acharyan, Srimad Andavan, Poundarikapuram Swami Asramam earlier
advised me to have the book released by H.H. Srirangam Srimad Andavan saying
?It was only befitting that the book should get released by the divine hands
of H.H. Srirangam Srimad Andavan on the auspicious occasion of his Saptadi
celebrations?

When the proposal was placed before H.H. Srirangam Srimad Andavan, the first
question he posed was ?Has you secured the ?niyamanam? of YOUR Achaaryan??

Only when he made sure that it was so, he agreed to release the book.
I was amazed at the mutual respect and regard for each other and this once
again proved how great minds think alike!

With just 6 copies handed over for release scheduled for 8th June 2005
(Saptadi day of H.H. Srirangam Srimad Andavan) I proceeded to Srirangam. Due
to a tight schedule of events, His Holiness decided to release the book in
advance on 6th June itself. Sri R. Rajagopalan Swamin (Eyetex) who was the
?Master of Ceremonies? introduced me to the audience, that by the way was
huge considering the fact that the actual Saptadi was to be 2 days away.  I
am exceptionally grateful for all the kind words showered on me by both Sri
Rajagopalan Swamin and His Holiness, while releasing the book.

During my second trip to Srirangam, I met Sri Anantapadmanabhan, Editor, Sri
Nrisimhapriya who was concluding a series of his lectures on Srimad Rahasya
Traya Saaram at the Desikan TirumaaLigai. He invited me to participate in
the Saatrumurai the next day. Though I had booked to return to Chennai the
previous night, I cancelled it, to attend the function. Sri ANC Swami who
presided said that by listening to Sri Ananta padma nabhan Swami, every
member of the audience had been transformed into Vidwaans.

Now, quite unexpectedly, Sri AP Swami called upon me to say a few words. I
put a question to the audience: ?: What is the LakshaNam of a Vidwaan?? and
answered it myself saying: ?Even as AP Swamin had made them Vidwaans, they
should impart the nuances of SRTS and make Vidwaans of their own audience
and create in them a motivation and eagerness (Tvarai) to seek
?BharaNyaasam? at the feet of their respective Achaaryas without postponing,
and not allow what they had learned to go waste!?

AT TIRUPATI:

Thanks to the help of Sri K. Devanathan Swami, Hyderabad (President of
Ahobila Mutt for Andhra Pradesh), we stayed in the Ahobila Matam premises in
Tirumalai and had wonderful Darsanam along with the Jeeyar Swami, Srimans
Chellappa and Vijayaraghavan Swamis of AhObila MaTam,  during Saatrumurai.
Due to the visit of Andhra Chief Minister to Tirumalai, all other Sevas
(including some VIP Sevas) were canceled on the day of our visit. But, we
could somehow squeeze in a small gap in one of the un-canceled  Sevas to
have Darsanam again, thanks to some well meaning friends.

AT TIRUVAHEENDRAPURAM:
Sri Uruppattur Soundararajan (Srikainkarya) could not accompany me to
Tiruvaheendrapuram. But, he arranged for an excellent darsanam through Sri
Narasimha Bhattar and Sri Veeraraghava Tatachariar Swami of
Tiruveheendrapuram. I had the bhaaghyam of Sevais of Sri Devanatha Perumal,
Sri Hayagreeva Perumal on top of Oushadagiri, Swami Desikan?s image crafted
by Swami Desika himself, and the well built by Swami Desikan himself.

AT TIRU ANBIL:
Sri Veeraraghava Tatachar Swami of Tiruvaheendrapuram gave me interesting
information about Tiru Anbil, which I had not heard before. He said that
Tituvarangathu Amudanaar who composed ?Ramanuja Nootrantaadi? hailed from
this Divyadesam. One more feather in the cap of ?Tiru Anbil?!

Sri Varadaraja Bhattar of Sri Soundararaja Perumal Koil, Tiru Anbil
explained how Tiru Anbil was ?Aniruddha kshEtram? with Srirangam, Uraiyur,
TiruveLLarai being Vaasudeva, SamkarshaNa and Pradhyumna KshEtrams and how
the family of Aniruddha Brahmaraayar served the Lord here and fed
Bhaagavatas visiting Tiru Anbil for over several generations - a fact
attested by the great Tamil writer, Kalki in his ?Ponniyin Selvan?.

Asmad Acharyan, H.H. Srimad Andavan, Poundarikapuram Swami Asramam commanded
me to undertake the copper plating of the wooden Dwajasthambam of Tiru Anbil
Koil that had become worn out and also take efforts to revive BrahmOtsavam
that had stopped for over two decades. I visited Tiru Anbil again, this time
for assessing the cost of plating the Dwajasthambam which I was told would
have to be followed immediately by ?PavitrOtsavam. The Sthapati at Srirangam
who examined the Sthambam has given an estimate of over Rupees One lakh.

I have instantly contributed RS.50,000/= out of Sale proceeds of my books on
?Hinduism? and ?Myths? - as initial advance and kept it in a separate Bank
Account. This is because some formalities have to be gone through before
using it up, like forming a Trust, obtaining permission from Sri
Ranganathaswamy Devasthaanam, HR &CE Board of Tamilnadu Government and Tax
exemption from Central Govt. etc.

It is proposed to form a Trust with Sri Sriram, an Industrialist who is
doing Kainkaryams for various temples in Tamilnadu, Sri Govindarajan Swamy
of Tiru Anbil who offered Silver Abhayahastam, KireeTam etc for Perumal and
Thaayaar and Smt. Janaka Raghavan (Poorvaasrama Grand daughter of Mukkur
Azhagiyasingar) who has agreed to supervise the execution of the projects.

As the fund at our disposal is very meager, we may have to appeal for funds
when the Trust is formed officially and is ready to take up the works.

AT KANCHIPURAM:

I visited Kanchipuram also twice. The first time, I made straight to
Thooppul, to have Darsanam of Swami Desikan, ViLakkoLiperumaal and
Yoganarasimhar at Vegaasethu temple.

During the second visit, at the invitation of Sri Sadagopa Tatachar whose
family was hosting one of the days of PavitrOtsavam, he was kind enough to
show me the records pertaining to the kainkaryams he has been doing for
Nityaaraadhana at Thooppul. It is amazing how being in Kerala as Professor
in College, he is able to make frequent visits to Kanchi to ensure the
proper accounting and execution of kainkaryams. His efforts need the
encouragement of all of us.

RETURN TO USA

We had planned to return on 8th August 2005 via Mumbai. But, the flood
situation was horrible. We had to rebook for 28thAugust 2005 by Alitalia via
Mumbai- Milan. This flight from Milan to Atlanta was canceled due to
technical problems with the aircraft. They, however, arranged to send us to
JFK and from there to Atlanta by Delta. In the melee, our boxes were lost.
They were restored to us one by one for over a week! One of the most
important things that went missing was the bundle containing Dharbham,
Koorcham and Pavitram that were specially made to last for a whole year!
Perhaps, the TSA people had to perform TarpaNams and found it useful!

Thus, ended our hectic trip to India.

Dasoham
Anbil Ramaswamy
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/VkWolB/TM