You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Dec 2005

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00197 Dec 2005

Dec 2005 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SrimatE Raamaanujaaya Namaha //
SrimatE Nigamaanta Mahaa Desikaaya Namaha //
SrIman! SrI Ranga Sriyam anupadravam anudhinam Samvardhaya/
SrIman! SrI Ranga Sriyam anupadravam anudhinam Samvardhaya//
KAvEri VardhathAm kAlE, kAlE varshathu vAsava: /
SrI RanganAthO jayathu Sri Ranga Sri cha VardhathAm//
SRI RANGA SRI VOL.07 / ISSUE # 14 dated 23rd December 2005
IN THIS ISSUE:
1. TIRUPPAVAI PASURAM # 8:
keezh vaanam
(ANBIL RAMASWAMY)
2. TIRUPPAVAI PASURAM # 8:
keezh vaanam
ENGLISH VERSE TRANSLATION
(MS. SHOBA RAMASWAMY)
ISSUES RELEASED
So far, 190 Regular issues of SRS have been released apart from
Special Issues:
27 Issues of Vol. 1
15 Issues of Vol. 2
42 Issues of Vol. 3
35 Issues of Vol. 4
28 Issues of Vol. 5
30 Issues of Vol. 6 and
13 Issues of Vol. 7
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Tiruppavai - 08
keezh vaanam

keezh vaanam veLLenRu erumai siRu veedu *
mEyvaan parandhana kaaN mikkuLLa piLLaigaLum *
pOvaan pOginRaarai(p) pOgaamal kaaththu * unnai(k)
koovuvaan vandhu ninROm * kOdhugalam udaiya
paavaay ezhundhiraay paadi(p) paRai kondu *
maavaay piLandhaanai mallarai maattiya *
dhEvaadhi dhEvanai(ch) chenRu naam sEviththaal *
aavaavenRu aaraayndhu aruL ElOr em paavaay!

This Paasuram is said to be the?wake up call? to a gOpi who is like
ThoNDaraDippoDi Azhwar. (TAP)
This is a gOpi who has secured the love of KrishNa and is like a ?mukta
jivan?
keezh vaanam: eastern sky
Keezh Vaanam is Samsaram; mEl vaanam is Paramapadam (PC)
keezh Vaanam is Dahara puNdarikam (Heart Lotus).
Only if this is pure and nirmalam, will it be fit to be occupied by the Lord
who is the mEl Vaanam (PBA)

veLLenru:       brightening
The sleeping gOpi says: ?It is because, you are looking east with your
moonlike faces, the eastern sky is emblazoned with the brilliance radiated
by your brightness. This whiteness (veLL enru) cannot be allowed as evidence
of dawn!
This is called ?anyataa jnaanam?

TAP Azhwar also says: ?SuDaroLi parantana soozh disai ellaam?
The ?Samsaaram? is likened to the long night ?KaaLaraatri?.
The moment a mumuksu gets initiated in the mantras, the person arrives at
dawn. This dawn continues till ?dEhaavasaanam?. After the fall of this body,
when one reaches Paramapadam, it is a whole and never ending day of
brightness. ?Sadaa Pasyanti soorayah?

erumai: buffaloes
Why buffaloes?
?       Their movement is slow. They would relish soaking in muddy ponds on the
way and take long to reach their destination. The reference in Svapadeasam
is that Bhaktas are like the buffaloes, since they do not mind delay in
reaching Paramapadam (ViLambam)
?       Cows, on the other hand, move faster and Prapannas who cannot tarry to
reach the kingdom of God are likened to cows.
?        Another suggestion is that buffaloes would like to graze the grass
covered with the early morning dew (nunippul mEyvadu). The cows do not
relish this.

siRu veedu: let go for a short time (buffaloes and cows are let go to graze
for a short time in the morning before they are milked)

SiruveeDu: is Samsaaram; Peru VeeDU is Paramapadam ((PC)
mEyvaan:        to graze
Parandhana:     spread
KaaN:           See!

mikkuLLa piLLaigaLum: those remaining girls
The sleeping girl asks:
?       ?There are 5 lakhs of Gopis in our place. I see only a few of them.
What
about the rest?
They reply:
?       ?All of them have already commenced their journey but we have
deliberately
tarried them from proceeding for the sake of acquiring your company?

povaan: those who want to go
?       The joy is in the ?Going? itself.
?       Akrura, when he was asked to fetch KrishNa was happy even at the very
thought of ?going? to KrishNa.
?       In our daily prayers, we are advised to meditate on the ?Archiraadi
maarga?- the path of light that leads to God. The very thought of traversing
through this path of light gives immense pleasure to the Prapanna because it
gives a foretaste of the actual route he / she would take when shedding this
mortal coil.

POginRaarai:    who are going
POgaamal:       without going
Kaaththu:       waiting
Unnai:          you
Koovuvaan:      to call
Vandhu: have come

NinROm: we are standing
The gopis seem to say-
?       ?Like VibheeshaNa who stood in mid air seeking to surrender at the feet
of
Sri Rama, we are standing at your doorstep to gain your favor?

kOdhugalam udaiya: Oh! Girl of happy disposition!
?       ?You have the desire. It is, however, intriguing why you have not
joined
us as yet?
?       ?Kuduhalam? might also mean the mutual love between the sleeping gOpi
and
KrishNa (PC)
?       It also means one who is desired by KrishNa - a Jnaani, who is dear to
KrishNa ? (BG 7.17)
?tEshaam jnaanee nityayukta: Eka bhaktir visishyatE/
priyO hi JnaaninOtyartham aham sa cha mama Priya: //?

meaning:
Among them, the man of wisdom, being always attached to me and also
single-minded in devotion, is the best. For I am inexpressively dear to the
man of wisdom and he too is dear to Me?

?       Another reading is ?kOdu kulam uDaiya? ?kOdu?= defects, kulam= the
group,
uDaiya= one who broke. (i.e) one who has broken the group of defects. In
other words, ?blemish less?

Paavaay:
?       ?Why are you lying like a doll?? (U)
?       Also refers to her beauty like that of a ?Pratimai?- a doll

Ezhundhiraay:   get up!

Paadi:  sing;
?       In Svapadesam, it also refers to the recital of Achaarya Tanians
?       Did not Madhurakavi spend his life constantly reciting the name of his
Achaarya, Swami Nammaazhwar?
?       Tiruppaavai is replete with this concept of ?singing? or musical
rendering

paRai kondu:    to get the drum

maavaay piLandhaanai: he who split the big mouth
?       The demon KEsi came in the form of a horse and KrishNa put his hand
inside
the throat of the horse. The arm became so huge that the horse got choked
and fell down dead foaming and frothing at its big mouth.

mallarai maattiya: vanquished the wrestlers
?       While the Lord finished the mountain like ChaaNoora, Balarama fisted
MushTika to death.
?       This also may refer to the two wrestlers who were set up to kill
KrishNa
when he came to the Court of DuryOdhana for peace parleys as ?PaaNDava
tooda? and the Lord crushed both of them.

dhEvaadhi dhEvanai: God of gods
There are several interpretations for this term
?       Some say that this refers to Kaanchi Varadar who is known as Devarajar
?       In fact, some cite Nammaazhwar?s expression ?ayarvarum amararkku
adhipathi? in support of their view.
?       Others hold that this refers to Devanaatha PerumaaL of
Tiruvaheendrapuram.
?       Some say that it might mean Tirunaarayanap PerumaaL of MelkOte.
?       In Svapadesam, ?God of gods? is also said to refer to Achaaryas who are
considered to be greater than Bhagavaan Himself

ChenRu: having gone
The Gopis seem to say-
?       Like KuchEla who ?went? to KrishNa and got what he desired even without
asking, if we also ?go? to KrishNa, He will fulfill our desires even without
our asking? (PC)
naam:   we

sEviththaal: if we serve, worship
If we fall at the feet of Achaaryas, they would instruct - cf
?Tad viddhi pratipatEna pariprasnEna sEvayaa
Upadesyanti tE jnaanam jnaaninah tattva darsinah?

Aa aa enRu:     (saying "Ah, ah!") with great compassion, concern
?       Why ?aa-aa? twice? To represent His ?nirvEdam? and His ?Daya?
?       Sri Rama felt that if VibheeshaNa had surrendered while at Lanka, He
would
have to go to him to bless. Since VibheeshaNa had come to His place, He felt
like a lame person to whom Ganga waters had come down to fall on his head
without any effort on his part and precisely where he was!

Aaraayndhu: having looked into
?       In Svapadesam, The Lord will weigh whether the Prapanna is an ?aartha
prapanna? or a ?dripta prapanna? and bless suitably (PC)

AruL:   grace ? kripa? on hearing the ?aartha dwani? of the Prapanna.
To Continue
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

2. TIRUPPAVAI PASURAM # 8:
keezh vaanam
ENGLISH VERSE TRANSLATION
(MS. SHOBA RAMASWAMY)