You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Dec 2005

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00203 Dec 2005

Dec 2005 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SrimatE Raamaanujaaya Namaha //
SrimatE Nigamaanta Mahaa Desikaaya Namaha //
SrIman! SrI Ranga Sriyam anupadravam anudhinam Samvardhaya/
SrIman! SrI Ranga Sriyam anupadravam anudhinam Samvardhaya//
KAvEri VardhathAm kAlE, kAlE varshathu vAsava: /
SrI RanganAthO jayathu Sri Ranga Sri cha VardhathAm//
SRI RANGA SRI VOL.07 / ISSUE # 19 dated 28th December 2005
IN THIS ISSUE:
1. TIRUPPAVAI PASURAM # 13:
puLLin vaay
(ANBIL RAMASWAMY)
2. TIRUPPAVAI PASURAM # 13:
puLLin vaay
ENGLISH VERSE TRANSLATION
(MS. SHOBA RAMASWAMY)
ISSUES RELEASED
So far, 195 Regular issues of SRS have been released apart from
Special Issues:
27 Issues of Vol. 1
15 Issues of Vol. 2
42 Issues of Vol. 3
35 Issues of Vol. 4
28 Issues of Vol. 5
30 Issues of Vol. 6 and
18 Issues of Vol. 7
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
1. TIRUPPAVAI PASURAM # 13:
puLLin vaay
(ANBIL RAMASWAMY)
Tiruppavai 13

puLLin vaay

puLLin vaay kINtaanaip pollaa arakkanai *
kiLLik kaLain^thaanaik kIrththimai paatip pOyp *
piLLaikaL ellaarum paavaikkaLam pukkaar *
veLLi ezhun^thu viyaazham uRaNGkiRRu *
puLLum cilampina kaaN pOtharik kaNNinaay *
kuLLak kuLirak kutain^thu nIraataathE *
paLLik kitaththiyO? paavaay! nI nannaaLaal *
kaLLam thavirn^thu kalan^thu ElOr empaavaay.

?       This Paasuram is said to be a "wake up call" to a gOpi who is
like ThoNDAR aDip poDi Azhwar. "kaLLam tavirndU' are the key words
here. He described himself as a cheat, a con artist.
(kaLLan soodanai, kaLvan aagi, kaLLamE kaadal seidu, kaLLathEn naan
unn toNDaai toNDukkE kOlam pooNDu)
?       This Paasuram is addressed to a gOpi whose eyes are
bewitching and who feels that KrishNa would come to her drawn by her
irresistible eyes and that she was not obliged to go to him. Were
KrishNa's eyes any less beautiful? Was He not "anaithulagaum uDaiya
aravinda lOchanan?" - The Lotus eyed one who lords over the entire
universe?
?       Sri Sita sent word through AnjanEya that she would not live
for more than 2 months. Sri Rama replied that he could not bear Sri
Sita's separation even for a single moment. Reason; Her bewitching
and sharp knife like eyes (asitEkshaNa)

puLLin  vaay kINtaanaip: The Lord who split the mouth of the bird
An Asura called "Bakaasura" came in the form of a crane. KrishNa tore
its mouth by slitting its beaks. This Bakaasura is different from
Bakaasura whom Bheema killed.

pollaa arakkanai: The wicked demon
?       "Asura" is different from "arakka". While HiraNya was an
asura, Kamsa was an arakka meaning "Raakshasa"
?       Even among Asuras, while HiraNyakasipu was a bad guy, his son
Prahlaada was a good Asura.
?       The usage of the word "pollaa arakkanai" shows that there was
a "nalla arakkan" also. In fact, VibheeshaNa was also a Raakshasa but
he was a good one.
?       RaavaNa was "pollaa" in the sense that he made the Navagraha
devatas (Planetary deities) as doormats to the steps to his throne.

kiLLik kaLain^thaanaik: The Lord who nipped off the heads of RavaNa.
?       First, RavaNa appeared with 10 heads and 10 crowns. Sri Rama
cut them off one by one. Finally, he came with one head. When Sri
Rama nipped that, another head grew up and after several times, he
was made headless. Possibly, it was by way of punishment to each of
the crimes committed by him to several virtuous people like Umadevi,
Nandikeswaran, Ramba, VaruNa kannikas, Brahma, Vedavati etc that the
heads had to be mutilated one by one.
?       But, Swami Desika says that all his heads were nipped in one
bunch all at once. "Athirav arakkan muDipathum oru kothena udirta
thiralOn"
?       It would appear that the arrow of Sri Rama searched his
entire heart to find out if he still retained the evil idea of
spoiling Sri Sita's modesty.
?       In Nrisimha avataara also, the Lord embraced HiraNyakasipu
before finishing him only to see if he had at least an iota of
remorse for the cruelty shown to Prahlaada.
?       Many similarities are mentioned as between RaavaNa and our
mind
-       RaavaNa had 10 faces Our mind has 10 indriyas
-       RaavaNa lived in Lanka. Our mind lives in our body that is
like Lanka.
-       Lanka was surrounded by Sea. Our mind is surrounded by the
ocean of "Samsaara"
-       RaavaNa separated Sri Sita from Sri Rama. Our mind tries to
separate the Lord (Paramaatma) from us (the Jivaatmas)
?       In this connection, it is worth noting that whether one seeks
to separate the PerumaaL from PiraaTTi or PiraaTTi from PerumaaL, the
result will be damaging
-       RaavaNa who wanted Sri Sita by separating her from Sri Rama
met with an ignoble death.  We are, therefore, advised not to wear
SrichurNam alone without TirumaNN.
-       Soorpanakha who wanted Sri Rama by separating him from Sri
Sita was humiliated by getting her nose and ears cut out. So, we are
advised not to wear TirumaNN alone without wearing SrichurNam.
-       Also, this kind of wearing is done only when the last
obsequies (considered inauspicious) are performed by the karta.
?       Another esoteric significance is that just wearing the Urdva
puNDram without the appropriate mantras will be no better than
decorating a wall.

kIrththimai paatip  pOyp:  praising (him and) singing while going

piLLaikaL ellaarum: all children (girls)
?       Even small girls who are ignorant of the purpose of nOnbu
have already left for the venue of the nOnbu. Only you have not even
woken up. Don't you feel ashamed of yourself?

paavaik kaLam pukkaar:  reached the place for the Paavai nOnbu
?       Earlier they said "pOgaamal kaathu"- stopping them from
going. Now, "pukkaar"- they have reached the venue.
?       In Svapadesam, it also refers to reaching the place of the
Achaarya for Sad upadesam (Sadaachaarya Sambandam)

veLLi  ezhun^thu viyaazham uRaNGkiRRu:   Venus has risen (and)
Jupiter has slept (set)
?       It is said that Venus is said to usually rise before the
setting of Jupiter and there will be some time gap between the two
events. They seem to tell the sleeping gOpi that even if she does not
get up before the rise of Venus, she should do so at least before the
setting of Jupiter.
?       They would seem to have planned to commence the nOnbu
procedures during the conjunction of Thursday night and Friday dawn.
They say that Thursday was already over and Friday had set in.

puLLum cilampina kaaN:  See! Birds (are) chirping
?       To further support this argument, they say that the birds
have started chirping again
?       What is the purpose of using the same words "puLLum silambina

KaaNN" occurring in Paasuram 6?  Is it not "punarukti?"(Repetition)
?        The earlier reference was before the birds leaving their
nests; Now, the chirping relates to the sounds heard when they were
out on their quest for food.
?       The sleeping gOpi seems to reply-"For you, everything seems
like the setting of Jupiter and rising of Venus because you are
always thinking of it like saying "nirkinradellaam neDumaal". The
gOPis give further evidence:

pOth arik kaNNinaay: (You who have a) flower (with) honeybee (on top)
(like) eyes!
?       "POdu" means "time' and "ari" is spending like
saying "kaalkshEpam" wherein "Kaala" means "time" and kshEpa' means
spending" Spending time in Bhagavad vishayam is Kaala-kshEpam.
?       "ari" also means doe, bee etc. She has the eyes like those of
does and bees lying on the flowers. Cf "hariNeem hEmamaalineem"
kuLLak kuLirak kutain^thu nIraataathE:  Without dipping into/ bathing
in the  cool waters
?       Thinking of God = NeeraaTTam;
?       Having darsanam in Archa= kuDaintu neeraaTtam;
?       Thinking of Vibhava avataaram= kuLir neeraaTtam
?       Having Darsanam in SrivaikunTam= kuLLak kuDaintu
neeraaTTam

paLLik kitaththiyO?: (but are) (and) lying on bed and sleeping
?       "Will any one go after grains already used and lying
scattered when freshly harvested grains are readily available? Do not
revel in nostalgic memories of the sangamam that you had previously
but join us right now for a fresh experience"

paavaay!  nI: Oh! Girl
?       It is understandable when someone does not move while in deep
sleep. But, being awake why do you not even stir out but lie like a
Pratimai (doll)?"

nan naaLaal :( on this) good day
?       In Paasuram 1, "It was "mathi nirainda nannaaLL" but then
there was "vislEsham" (Separation) when we commenced our nOnbu.
?       But, now, we are going to join KrishNa. Therefore, this is a
different kind of NannnaaLL' Get up!"

kaLLam thavirn^thu  kalan^thu:  Don't play games with us but join us
?       Give up the stealthy thought of secretly enjoying   KrishNa
all alone
?       In Svapadesam, " Kallam" means "theft" What is theft?
Thinking what belongs to others (Bhagavaan here) as our own is theft.
Thinking that our "Atma' which belongs to Bhagavaan as belonging to
us ?is theft.
To Continue
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
2. TIRUPPAVAI PASURAM # 13:
puLLin vaay
ENGLISH VERSE TRANSLATION
(MS. SHOBA RAMASWAMY)