You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Jan 2006

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00220 Jan 2006

Jan 2006 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SrimatE Raamaanujaaya Namaha //
SrimatE Nigamaanta Mahaa Desikaaya Namaha //
SrIman! SrI Ranga Sriyam anupadravam anudhinam Samvardhaya/
SrIman! SrI Ranga Sriyam anupadravam anudhinam Samvardhaya//
KAvEri VardhathAm kAlE, kAlE varshathu vAsava: /
SrI RanganAthO jayathu Sri Ranga Sri cha VardhathAm//
SRI RANGA SRI VOL.07 / ISSUE # 36 dated 14th January 2006
EDITORIAL
Dear Bhagavatas:
PONGAL & MAKARA SANKRANTI GREETINGS

On behalf of the members of the ?Board of Advisory Consultants? (BAC) and
?Internal Resource Panel? (IRP) of ?Swami Desika Darsana Satsangam? (SDDS)
and its Electronic Journal ?Sri Ranga Sri? (SRS) and on my own behalf, I
wish all Bhaagavatas a very happy Pongal and Makara Sankranti.

With the dawn of the Thai (Makara month) in UttaraayaNa in this ?Paarthiva
Samvatsaram? we submit to the Divya Dhampathis to grant all of us peace,
prosperity and deeper involvement in Bhagavad ? Bhaagavata Kainkaryams in
the days ahead.

Let us all bathe in the auspiciousness of this festival, in true spirit of
the saying: ?Pongum MangaLam engum tanguga?

Let us recite all the 30 verses of Tiruppavai and earn ?thiruvaruL? and
?Be happy ever after? as Andal has assured us:
?Engum thiruvaruL peRRu inbuRuvar?

MEMBERSHIP OF SRI RANGA SRI
Thanks to the unstinted support and encouragement of the members, Moderators
of Internet fraternity who hosted our Editorials, the Editors of various
Religious Journals in India who have given wide publicity etc., the
membership of ?Sri Ranga Sri? has risen to around 5000

GUIDELINES

With such a spiraling membership, naturally everyone wishes to place his/her
contributions in the Journal, some of them in violation of one or more of
the Guidelines shown in the ?Files? Section. For this reason, we are
reluctantly constrained not to approve them. We hope that you will
appreciate the rigor and volume of scrutiny needed in editing this
forbiddingly huge volume of mails received for moderation.

As you know, I have completed 80 years of age and with failing health
sometimes really worthy postings get overlooked. Please be assured that non-
approval does not necessarily mean ?Rejection?.

And, some that violate the guidelines, sometimes, somehow sneak through
scrutiny. This does not mean that they have been deliberately approved!

We request Contributors to be considerate to us by first checking up with
the ?Guidelines? before posting any messages for featuring in the Journal.

Dasoham
Anbil Ramaswamy
Moderator
======================================================================xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx=====================================================================
IN THIS ISSUE:
1. TIRUPPAVAI PASURAM # 30
VANGAK KADAL KADAINDHA
(ANBIL RAMASWAMY)
2. TIRUPPAVAI PASURAM # 30
VANGAK KADAL KADAINDHA
ENGLISH VERSE TRANSLATION
(MS. SHOBA RAMASWAMY)
ISSUES RELEASED
So far, 212 Regular issues of SRS have been released apart from Special
Issues:
27 Issues of Vol. 1
15 Issues of Vol. 2
42 Issues of Vol. 3
35 Issues of Vol. 4
28 Issues of Vol. 5
30 Issues of Vol. 6 and
35 Issues of Vol. 7
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
1. TIRUPPAVAI PASURAM # 30
VANGAK KADAL KADAINDHA
(ANBIL RAMASWAMY)
Tiruppavai 30 vangak kadal kadaindha

vangak kadal kadaindha maadhavanai kEsavanaith *
thingaL thirumugaththuc cEy izhaiyaar cenRiRainchi *
angap paRai kondavaaRRai * aNi pudhuvaip
painkamalath thaNderiyal battar piraan kOdhaisonna *
cangath thamizh maalai muppadhum thappaamE *
ingip parisuraippaar eerirandu maal varai thOL *
sengaN thirumugaththuc celvath thirumaalaal *
engum thiruvaruL peRRu inbuRuvar embaavaay. [2]

?       Andal assures that those who recite these 30 verses would derive the
same
benefits that the observance of the nOnbu would bestow.
?       ?Kanru izhanda talai naagu tOl kanrukkum kanrai madukka atukku
irangumaappOlE? says BhaTTar i.e. ?Like the cow that has lost its calf shows
the same affection to a stuffed calf?
?       In the first Paasuram, Andal brought out Moolamantram.
?       In this, she brings out Dvaya mantram

vangak kadal    kadaindha: the wavy ocean was churned by

?       Vangam means  ?waves? and also ?ships?

maadhavanai:     the Lord of Lakshmi

?       Do you know why the Lord helped in churning the milky ocean?
?       That was a pretext for securing for himself Mahaalakshmi. Tirumangai
Mannan has exposed the Lord?s plan thus: ?viNNavar amuduNNa, amudil varum
peNNamudai uNDa perumaanE?
That is why he is called ?maadhavan?
Maa = Lakshmi Dhavan = one who wears.
Similarly, here his participation in the nOnbu is for attaining the gOpis.
?       In Svapadesam: The wave filled ocean of Vedas is churned by Acharyas to
collect the nectar of Knowledge and make it available to us.
?       Maa thavan also means a great Tapasvi.
?       When we wear punDram on the chest, we invoke ?Maadhavan?, to indicate
that
we have in our heart the Lord together with PiraaTTi

kEsavanai: Kesava or Krishna

?       In Svapadesam: The chariot of dEham is being drawn by Indriyas as
horses.
Acharyas control these horses like KrishNa who controlled the horse by name
Kesi.

thingaL thiru mugaththu: the beautiful moonlike faces

?       PiraaTTi was born with moon from the milky ocean. The luster of moon
could
be seen in her face. The suggestion is that Andal and her peer gOpis also
reflect this luster.

cE izhaiyaar: splendidly ornamented (cowherd) maidens

?       ?sE? means ? righteous? and ?izhai? means ?ornaments?- the girls who
wore
the right kind of ornaments i.e. KrishNabhakti

cenRu   iRainchi: having reachedand worshipped (that Lord)

angu: there (in Brindavana / thiru aayppaadi)

ap parai konda aaRRai: the grand story of their receiving the drum that they
desired

aNi pudhuvai:    beautiful Srivilliputtur's

painkamala thaN theriyal:  cool, fresh lotus garlanded

battar piraan: by the best of priests, Periyazwaar

?       When BhaTtar piraan (Periyaazhwar) was dumbstruck by Andal?s merging
with
Ranganatha, the Lord comforted him saying that he would come to
Srivilliputtur and marry her formally. Accordingly, the wedding was
conducted with all paraphernalia in which the Pandya king offered
?seer-varisai?.
?       Periyaazhwar made ?kannikaa daanam? in the SrivaishNava Brahmin
tradition
and Andal appeared as RukmiNi.
?       It is said that TiruvenkaTam uDaiyaan and Solai malai Sundara rajan
arrived a little too late when the function had just concluded.
?       Even today, if you go to Srivilliputtur, do not miss the Sannidhi of
TiruvEnkatam uDaiyaan on top of the hill called ?TiruvaNNaa malai? in the
vicinity of Srivilliputtur. (Not to confuse with the other TiruvaNNaamalai
associated with RamaNa Maharishi). It is a sight for Gods to see.
?       Why does Andal mention about BhaTTar piraan? It is to let the world
know
that she could compose this Prabandham only because of grace of her Father
who was also her Achaarya.

kOdhai sonna: (daughter) Goda / Andal said

cangam tamizh maalai: beautiful Tamil garland

?       The word ?sangam? has several connotations:
-       This is a Prabhandam that has to be recited in a gOshTi like the 5 lakh
gOpis did.
-       This is Prabhandam that has to be recited with great interest and
wholeheartedly.
-       This Prabhandam is best suited to be sung set to music with meter,
beats
etc.
-       This Prabhandam is fit to be placed with great reverence in
?Sangappalagai?.
?       In Svapadesam: ?Sam? means that which confers auspiciousness and ?Gam?
means Aakaasam (i.e) VaikunTam. Those who recite these verses are sure to
attain the auspicious aakaasam (VaikunTam)

muppadhum thappaamE ingu i parisu uraippaar:

Those who recite the 30 verses without fail

eer irandu maal varai thOL:  four shoulders like huge hills

?       Koorathaazhwaan?s Sundarabaahu Sthavam describes the beauty of Lord?s
shoulders

sem kaN thirumugaththu: red eyes and holy countenance

selvathirumaalaal: glorious because of this Lord Sriman Narayana

?       This expression is said to denote Sri Srinivasan ? TiruvEnkaTam uDaiyaan
?       When Rama was returning to AyOdhya by Pushpaka Vimaanam along with
Sita,
he asked her to look at Lanka down below, so that the kingdom given to
VibheeshaNa might prosper by her glance. This is ?Selva thirumaalaal?

engum   thiru aruL peRRu: receiving (His) holy grace everywhere

?       Unlike what Nammaazhwar said ?angutrenallEn, ingutrEn allEn engutrEnum
illEn?, Andal says we will enjoy divine bliss EVERYWHERE, both in Leela
vibhooti and BhOga vibhooti.
?       Do you know how to get the kaTaaksham of Thaayaar (thiru aruL)?
PerukkaraNai Swami gives the recipe:
A person was reciting the Stotram of Mahaalakshmi for long but without any
effect. He continued to languish in penury. His friend came along and told
him how to make a fast buck. He advised him to pray to MoodEvi, the deity of
poverty. MoodEvi, elder sister of Mahaalakshmi appeared before him and asked
what he wanted.
?Oh! Devi! I have seen your frontal sEvai. I have only one request to make.
I wish to enjoy your back sEvai?
As MoodEvi turned her back on him, Mahaalakshmi came rushing in to bless
him. Thus, he became an instant billionaire!

inpuRuvar: will enjoy bliss.

?       Why does Andal mention about the ?phalam?? This is because, one would
be
interested in doing something only when one knows what benefit could be
derived by doing it.
?       When KrishNa said ?karmaNyEva adhikaaras tE, maa phalEshu kadaachana?,
?Action is thy duty, fruit is not thy concern?, he cautioned Arjuna against
expecting the fruits of his actions, so that it will be ?nish-kaamya karma?
(desireless action)
?       Andal realizes that we folks have not matured to the level of acting on
the advice of KrishNa. In her infinite compassion for us, she mentions the
phala sruti to encourage us to turn to God.
?       ?Madhavanai irainji?: denotes the ?Srimath? in first part of Dvayam
(poorva khaNDa artham)
?Tirumaalaal inburuvar? denotes the ?Srimath? in the second half of Dvayam
(uttara khaNDa artham)
?       It may be noted that Andal uses the word ?Thiru? four times in this
Paasuram to emphasize the primary position occupied by Thaayaar as
Purushaakaaram  (Upaayam) and upEyam in Dvaya mantram
?       This Paasuram brings out what is known as
?anubanda ChatushTayam? ? The greatness of the composition namely
-       By ?VangakkaDal? parai koNDavaatrai? the ?Prabhanda vailakshanYam?
-       By ?aNi Puduvai? sonna? etc, the ?Vaktaa VailakshaNyam? the author-
(Andal)
-       By  ?SangaTamizh maalai? the ?Valla VailakshaNyam? (the esoteric
contained
in the Vedas expressed in a language easily understandable by all including
those who do not know Sanskrit)
-       By ?Inburuvar? the ?PrayOjana VailakshaNytam? (the end result of
acquiring
the ParipooorNa grace of the Divya dampathis)
TO BE CONCLUDED
Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
2. TIRUPPAVAI PASURAM # 30
VANGAK KADAL KADAINDHA
ENGLISH VERSE TRANSLATION
(MS. SHOBA RAMASWAMY)

?To Him who churned the Ocean
Madhava- Keshava,
The radiant cowherd maidens prayed
And were granted Salvation,
This, in beautiful Srivilliputtur,
She who wears garlands
Of fresh lotus blooms,
Bhattarpiran?s own Kothai narrates,
Those who unerringly recite
These thirty verses of chaste Tamil
Entwined
Will be forever blessed
By the Lord of majestic shoulders
Like mountains ranged,
Of stately eyes
And beauteous mien,
Supreme Thirumal
And in His divine grace
Live happily ever.
Oh! MY Maidens!?
CONCLUDED
Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://us.click.yahoo.com/lMct6A/Vp3LAA/i1hLAA/VkWolB/TM