You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Mar 2006

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00229 Mar 2006

Mar 2006 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SrimatE Raamaanujaaya Namaha //
SrimatE Nigamaanta Mahaa Desikaaya Namaha //
SrIman! SrI Ranga Sriyam anupadravam anudhinam Samvardhaya/
SrIman! SrI Ranga Sriyam anupadravam anudhinam Samvardhaya//
KAvEri VardhathAm kAlE, kAlE varshathu vAsava: /
SrI RanganAthO jayathu Sri Ranga Sri cha VardhathAm//
==========================================================================================================================================

SRI RANGA SRI VOL.07 / ISSUE # 45 dated 23rd March 2006
==========================================================================================================================================

EDITORIAL

Dear Bhagavatas:
You will remember that due to the mind boggling amount of mails
received for "Moderation" that I could not cope up with partly due to
my age related problems. Several friends have kindly offered to help
me in this regard. My heartfelt thanks are due to every one of them.
As all of them are eminently qualified, (in fact, more qualified than
my humble self), they have all been empanelled.

But, since too many could not be accommodated, we had with very great
difficulty to zero in on just one of them to assign the task of "Co-
Moderator"

The "Co-Moderator" will be in sole charge of monitoring / editing /
approving / rejecting mails received for release in "Sri Ranga Sri".
I have requested this person to strictly enforce the guidelines for
approving postings.

I request all contributors to co-operate by observing the Guidelines
scrupulously with a view to avoid rejection of their postings for
non-compliance of the guidelines.

Please stand by and await an announcement in this regard.

Of course, I will continue to be available to help, providing
Editorials as also attending to day to day Administration and other
related matters.
IN THIS ISSUE

SANDHYAA VANDANAM -? Part 2 - 6
FAQs AND THE SIGNIFICANCE OF VARIOUS OBSERVANCES IN CONNECTION
WITH "SANDHYAAVANDANAM"
A: SEQUENCE OF THE VARIOUS STEPS IN PERFORMING SV
B: NYAASAMS
(ANBIL RAMASWAMY)
ISSUES RELEASED
So far, 221 Regular issues of SRS have been released apart from
Special Issues:
27 Issues of Vol. 1
15 Issues of Vol. 2
42 Issues of Vol. 3
35 Issues of Vol. 4
28 Issues of Vol. 5
30 Issues of Vol. 6 and
44 Issues of Vol. 7

You may also view the archives at http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia
maintained by Sri Srinivasan Sriram (ajiva_rts@xxxxxxxxx )

We strongly urge you to kindly peruse the "Regular Issues" archived
in the "Files" Section and view the Contents at "srsindex.html" (Not
the individual postings allowed for encouraging "Reader
participation").  We are sure that you will be convinced of the
quality of the contents.

IF you are satisfied with the quality and contents of "Sri Ranga Sri"-

Tell your friends to join by sending an email to
Srirangasri-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

IF NOT: Tell us, as to how we may improve.
Ever at your service

Dasoham

Anbil Ramaswamy,
Editor & Publisher, "Sri Ranga Sri"
==========================================================================================================================================

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
=========================================================================================================================================SANDHYAA
 VANDANAM -? Part 2 - 6
FAQs AND THE SIGNIFICANCE OF VARIOUS OBSERVANCES IN CONNECTION
WITH "SANDHYAAVANDANAM"
A: SEQUENCE OF THE VARIOUS STEPS IN PERFORMING SV
B: NYAASAMS

(ANBIL RAMASWAMY)
We give below the sequence of the various steps in performing SV.
In this,
A == ACHAMANAM
P == PRANAYAMAM
N == NYAASAM (vide Table B below)
S == SANKALPAM
T == SATHVIKA THYAAGAM
M == MANTRAM
===========================================================================================================================================
         SANDHYA VANDANAM SEQUENCE - JALA BHAGAM
===========================================================================================================================================

1. Beginning ACHAMANAM: (Twice)                             (A1)& M1

Thumb           == Cheeks           (Thumb + Cheek)
Ring finger     == Eyes             (Ring finger+ Eyes)
Index finger    == Nostrils         (Index finger+ Nostrils)
Little finger   == Ears             (Little finger+ Ears)
Middle finger   == Shoulders        (Middle finger+ Shoulders)
All five fingers== Navel            (All 5 fingers+ Navel)
All five fingers== Crown            (All 5 fingers+ Crown of the head)
2. Beginning PRANAYAMAM (Once)                                (P1)&M2

Rechakam == Exhaling (1 unit)
Purakam  == Inhaling (3 units)
Kumbakam == Controlling breath (2 units)
3. Beginning SANKALPA MANTRAM
(Differs)                                                     (S1&M3
4. Beginning SATHVIKA THYAAGAM
(Differs from Concluding one)
      (T1)&M4
==========================================================================================================================================

5. PROKSHANAM == Sprinkling of water (aka  Maarjanam)
NYAASAM: {See B:Table }                                           N1
Excepting the thumb -
Rishi         == 4 Fingers on Head
Chandas       == 4 Fingers in front of Mouth
Devata        == 4 Fingers on Chest
Viniyoga      == Inverting the cupped palms of both hands
Mantram== AapOhishTa?                                              M5
All Mantras (except the following) == Sprinkle on Head
Yasyakshyaaya jinvata only == Sprinkle on Knees
Om Bhu: Bhuva: Suva: == Sprinkle circling around the head
6. PRASANAM (Sipping of Water)
NYAASAM {See 2 (i), 2 (ii) and 2 (iii) in Table?                  N2
Mantram Differs                                                   M6
7. PUNAR PROKSHANAM == Sprinkling of water (aka Punar Maarjanam)
Achamanan                                                        (A2)
NYAASAM (See 3 of Table B) ?                                      N3
Mantram == DadikraviNNO?                                           M7
8. ARGHYA PRADAANAM (Offering waters through both the palms)
Achamanam ?                                                      (A3)
Pranayamam ?                                                     (P2)
Sankalpam ?                                                      (S2)
NYAASAM {See 4 in Table B}                                        N4
Mantram -Arghya Mantram  (3 Times)                                M8
9. PRAAYSCHITTA ARGHYA PRADAANAM (AKA TUREEYA)
(Offering waters through both the palms)
Pranayamam ?                                                     (P3)
Sankalpam ?                                                      (S3)
NYAASAM {See 5 in Table B)                                        N5
Mantram - Tureeya Arghya Mantram                                  M9
10. AIKHYAANUSANTAANAM:  "asaavaadityO Brahmaa"                  M10
11. KESAVADI TARPANAM
Achamanam at Beginning of Keasavadi Tarpanam                     (A4)
Kesavaadi TarpaNam ? Mantram                                      M11
Achamanam at the end of Kesavadi Tarpanam                        (A5)
==========================================================================================================================================

SANDHYA VANDANAM SEQUENCE - JAPA BHAGAM
==========================================================================================================================================

12. AASANA MANTRAM - Prayer to Bhoomi Devi
NYAASAM: {See 6 in Table B]                                       N6
Mantram == "Pritvi tvayaa dhritaa lOkaa?"                          M12
13. PRANAYAMA SANKALPAM Prayer to Savitri Devata
SAPTA VYAAHRITI (7 Vyahritis) -
NYASAM: (See 7, 8, 9 and 10 of Table B}                           N7
14. DHYANA SLOKA MANTRAS
(1) « muktaa vidruma hemaneela davaLas chaayai:? » and
(2) « arka mandala madyastham suryakoti sama prabam... »          M13
15. PRANAYAMAM PROPER  (3 times)                                 (P4)
16. GAYATRI JAPAM PROCEDURE
SANKALPAM (Resolve to do 1008/108/28/10 times)                   (S4)
GAYATRI AVAHANAM: NYASAM: {See 11 of Table B}                     N8
Mantram: « aayaatu varadaa devi,? »                               M14
17. GAYATRI DHYAANAM: « ..... dhyaayaami  Gayatrim? »             M15
18. VYAHRITI TRAYAM (3 Vyahritis)
NYAASAM: {See 12, 13 and 14 of Table B}                           N9
19. OFFERING TO GAYATRI DEVI ==
Mantram: "yO devas savita asmaakam? upaasmahE" ?                  M16
20. MAIN GAYATRI MANTRA JAPAM                                     M17
(As many times as you have resolved to do)
21. SEND OFF TO GAYATRI
Pranayamam (3 Times)                                             (P5)
Sankalpam                                                        (S5)
22. UDVAASANA NYASAM == "Uttame iti anuvaaksaya"
NYASAM: {See 15 of Table B}                                      N10
Mantram == "Uttame Sikhare Devi?"                                 M18
23. UPASTHAANA NYASAM ==
NYASAM: {See 16 (i), 16 (ii) and 16 (iii) of Table B)
Differs                                                          N11
Mantram Differs                                                  M19
24. "SANDHYADI DEVATA VANDANAM"                                  M20
25. "DIK DEVATA VANDANAM"                                        M21
26. «DHYAAYET SADAA SAVITRU MANDALA? »                           M22
27. "ABHIVADANAM" (Abhivaadaye? asmibhO)                         M23
28. CONCLUDING "SATVIKA THYAGAM" ==                          (T2&M24
29. "SRIRANGA MANGALANIDHIM?" ? Slokam                           M25
30. PROSTRATION TO PERUMAL AND ELDERS
==========================================================================================================================================

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
=========================================================================================================================================NOTES

1. It will be seen from the above that -
A == ACHAMANAM occurs 5 times
P == PRANAYAMAM occurs 5 times
S == SANKALPAM occurs 5 times
N == NYASAM occurs 11 times
M == MANTRAM occurs 25 times
T == SATHVIKA THYAAGAM occurs 2 times (at the beginning and at the end)

2. Candidates are advised to make note of the steps where these
occur.

3.Explanations of the significance of various steps, the meanings of Mantras
involved and relative instructions (as advised by our Achaaryas) on each step
will be provided in the subsequent postings.

4. Candidates may memorize the Nyaasams in the Table B below containing the
Rishis, Chandas, Devatas and ViniyOgas relevant to the respective Mantras.
========================================================================================================================================

TABLE B: SANDHYAA VANDANAM NYAASAMS
=======================================================================================================================================MANTRA
 / RISHI: / CHANDAS / DEVATA / VINIYOGA: (Employed in)
=======================================================================================================================================JALA
 BHAAGAM
=====================================================================================================================================N1.

Aapohishta mantrasya/
Sindudveepa Rishi:/
DEvi Gaayatri Chanda:/
AapO DEvata(water)/
Apaam ProkshaNE ViniyOga:/
(sprinkling)

N2(a)
Suryascha iti anuvakasya/
Agni Rishi:/
DEvi Gaayatri Chanda:/
SuryO DEvata/
Apaam PraasanE ViniyOga:/
(Morning)

N2(b)
Apah punanthu iti anuvakasya/
AapO Rishi;/
AnushTup Chanda:/
BrahmaNaspatir DEvata/
Apaam PraasanE ViniyOga:/
(Noon)

N2(c)
Agnischa iti Anuvakasya/
SuryO Rishi:/
DEvi Gaayatri Chanda:/
Agnir DEvata/
Apaam praasanE ViniyOga:/
(Evening)

N3.
Dadigkraavana iti mantrasya/
VamadEva Rishi:/
AnushTup Chanda:/
Dadi-kraavaa DEvata/
Apaam ProkshaNE ViniyOga:/
(sprinkling)

N4.
Argya Pradaana mantrasya/
Visvaa mitra Rishi:/
DEvi Gaayatri Chanda:/
Savitaa DEvata/
Argya PradaanE ViniyOga:/
(Oblation of Water)

N5.
Tureeya (Prayaschita) Argya Pradaana mantrasya/
Sandeepanee Rishi:/
DEvi Gaayatri Chanda:/
Savitaa DEvata /
Tureeya (Prayaschita) Argya pradaanE ViniyOga:/
(for delay)
=======================================================================================================================================JAPA
 BHAGAM
=======================================================================================================================================
N 6.
Aasana mantrasya/
Prithviyaa Meru-prushTa Rishi:/
Sootalam Chanda:/
Sree koormO DEvata/
AasanE ViniyOga:/
(in sitting)

7(a)
Pranavasya iti mantrasya/
Brahmaa Rishi:/
DEvi Gaayatri Chanda:/
Paramaatma DEvata /

7(b)
Buraadi Sapta Vyahruteenam iti mantrasya/
Atr--Brigu- Kutsa- VasishTa- Goutama- Kaasyapa - Aangirasa -Rishaya:/
Gaayatri- UshNik -AnushTup -Brihatee- Pankthi- TrushTup- Jagatya: -
Chandaamsi/
Agni- Vayu- Arka- Vaageesa- VaruNa- Indra-VisvE-dEvaa- DEvataa:/

7(c)
Savitryaa iti mantrasya/
Visvaa mitrO Rishi:/
DEvi Gaayatri Chanda:/
Savitaa DEvata/

7 (d)
Gayatri Siraso iti mantrasya/
Brahmaa Rishi:/
AnushTup Chanda:/
Paramaatma DEvata/
SarvEshaam PraaNaa yaamE Viniyoga:/
(In doing Breath control)

8.
Aayatu iti Anuvakasya/
Vaama dEva Rishi:/
AnushTup Chanda:/
Gaayatri DEvata/
Gaayatri AavaahanE ViniyOga:/
(in invoking Gaayatri)

9(a).
Pranavasya iti mantrasya/
Rishir Brahma/
DEvi Gaayatri Chanda:/
Paramaatma DEvata/

9 (b)
Booraadi Vyaahriti Trayasya/
Atri - Brigu - Kutsa Rishaya:/
Gaayatri - UshNik - AnushTup - Chandaamsi/
Agni - Vayu - Arka - DEvataa:/

9 (c)
Saavitrya Iti mantrasya/
ViswaamitrO Rishi:/
DEvi Gaayatri Chanda:/
Savitaa DEvata/

SarvEsham Gaayatri JapE Viniyoga:
(In doing Gayaatri Japam)

10.
Uttama iti Anuvaakasya/
Vaama dEva Rishi:/
AnushTup Chanda:/
Gaayatri DEvata/
Gaayatri UdvaasanE Viniyoga:/
(In getting up from the seat)

11(a)
Mitrasya iti Upasthaana mantrasya/
Visvaamitra Rishi:/
Beerut Gaayatri- TrishTup Chandaamsi/
MitrO DEvata/
Praatas-Sandya UpastanE ViniyOga:
(in sending off at morning)

11 (b)
Aasatyena Iti mantrasya/
Hiranya stoopa Rishi:/
DrishTup - Gaayatri - Jagatee - UshNik - TrushTup - Chandaamsi
Savitaa DEvata
Madyahnika UpastanE  ViniyOga:/
(in sending off at noon)

11(c)
ImammE Ityaadi Mantraanaam/
Deva raata Rishi:/
Gaayatri- Jagatee- TrushTup- Chandaamsi/
Savitaa DEvata/
Saayam sandya UpastanE ViniyOga:/
(in sending off at evening)
To Continue

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Yahoo! Groups Links