You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Feb 2007

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00242 Feb 2007

SrI:
SrimatE Raamaanujaaya Namaha //
SrimatE Nigamaanta Mahaa Desikaaya Namaha //
SrIman! SrI Ranga Sriyam anupadravam anudhinam Samvardhaya/
SrIman! SrI Ranga Sriyam anupadravam anudhinam Samvardhaya//
KAvEri VardhathAm kAlE, kAlE varshathu vAsava: /
SrI RanganAthO jayathu Sri Ranga Sri cha VardhathAm//
SRI RANGA SRI VOL.08 / ISSUE # 14 dated 02.14.07
EDITORIAL
We are glad to feature the following article paying tribute to Asmad
Achaaryan on the occasion of Rajat Jayanti of his Sannyaasa
Sweekaranam being celebrated in Srirangam today. This is written by
Sri Vijai Srinivas, son of our Co- Moderator, Sri Madhava kannan
Swamiand Dr, Brintha Jayanthi of Singapore. Sri Vijai Srinivas is 18
years old, has just finished his 12th grade (called as Cambridge 'A'
level in Singapore) awaiting for the University admission. He is a
Sishya of His Holiness Srimad Andavan of Poundarikapuram Swami
Asramam, Srirangam.

Hope you will enjoy his experiences of this budding writer.
ISSUES RELEASED
With this issue, about 241 Regular issues of SRS have been released
so far, apart from numerous "Special Issues" as indicated below:
27 Issues of Vol. 1
15 Issues of Vol. 2
42 Issues of Vol. 3
35 Issues of Vol. 4
28 Issues of Vol. 5
30 Issues of Vol. 6
50 Issues of Vol. 7 and
14 Issues of Vol. 8 (including this)
You may view the archives at http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia
maintained By Sri Srinivasan Sriram
We strongly urge you to kindly peruse the "Regular Issues" archived
in the Files Section and view the Contents at srsindex.html (Not the
individual postings allowed for encouraging "Reader participation").
We are sure that you will be convinced of the quality of the
contents.

IF you are satisfied with the quality and contents of
"Sri Ranga Sri" -
Tell your friends to join by sending an email to
Srirangasri-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
IF NOT:
Tell us, as to how we may improve.
Ever at your service
Moderator
"Sri Ranga Sri"
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
IN THIS ISSUE
1.      A TRIBUTE TO MY ACHARYAN
(Sri Vijai Srinivas, Singapore)
2.      SRIMAD RAMAYANAM- INTRODUCTION (CONCLUDED) - PART 4
(Anbil Ramaswamy)
3.      SATHABHISHEKAM AND ACHCHIDRA-ASWAMEDHA PAARAAYANAM  Part 2
(CONCLUDED)
(Anbil Ramaswamy)
1. A TRIBUTE TO MY ACHARYAN
(SRI VIJAI SRINIVAS)
Sri:
Srivaasa Ranga Parakaala Munitrayaabda
Lakshmaatma Rakshana Yathitva Yugaaga Maantham
Achaarya Bhakthi Pari bhootham Anargha Seelam
Gopaala Desika Munim Gurum Aasrayaamah

For those who may not know, I wish to inform that the 25th sannyaasa
sweekaranam anniversary of my Acharyan Paravakottai Srimad Andavan,
Sri Gopala Desika Mahaa Desikan, Poundarikapuram Swami Ashramam,
Srirangam falls on the 14th of this month. I only feel it is right
for me to talk a little about my Achaarya as this event approaches.

There is a popular saying in Srirangam that Swami has "many more
admirers than even Sishyas". It is quite obvious why so many admire
him. In today's modern and fast-changing world of various `Baba's
and `Nanda's plaguing our religion, there are very few spiritual
leaders who still have the Vairaghyam needed to follow the
restrictions placed upon a Sannyaasin. And, in that aspect I can
proudly say that my Acharyan is THE BEST in upholding the traditions
of our Samparadaaya. He knows that there is a reason why each
ceremony, like Bhara Nyaasam and Pancha Samskaaram etc, that is to be
conducted under his guidance has a specific method and rigor that
must be followed (even though some of us may have ignorantly scoffed
at such practices as archaic and irrelevant ceremonies) and that
compromising on this will only lead to the non fulfillment of the
goal desired.

Having said that, it still surprises me as to how well he assesses
the necessity for exceptions in each case. For example, I still
remember the day my parents took a quick and sudden decision just
before the Nov-Dec school holidays to have me undergo Pancha
Samskaaram and Bhara Nyaasam (the latter of which I underwent
together with my sister) during the vacation. Generally, Swami would
require anyone who wanted to perform Bhara Nyaasam under him to
travel from Srirangam to Thirupallani (near Rameswaram) to do Samudra
Snaanam (bath in the ocean) so as to do Prayaschittham for his/her
past sins. Our vacation was very short (due to a dearth of office
leave for my parents) and we were wondering as to what would happen
if Swami were to ask this of me. Surprisingly, as if he could
understand our problems, he didn't even breathe a word about it. I
shudder to think what would have happened otherwise. My Bhara Nyaasam
would have probably been postponed and who knows, it may not even
occur.

Many say that when one performs Achaarya Nishtai, the responsibility
for the Prapatti is placed on the shoulders of the Acharyan and his
Mahaa Viswaasam and other qualities as more important than ours in
the context of the Sishya's role. Needless to say that it is obvious
that Swami possesses such qualities from first sight: some have even
said that he is almost a modern-day Ramanuja given his height and
Tejas. But the transformation that my family underwent after our
Prapattis gives proof of what an astounding success our Prapattis
were and lends credence to his greatness.

One last note as to how much a well-wisher Swami has been to my
family. We go to visit him every year during the Dec holidays.
Usually, he inquires us about our general well-being, financial
affairs, etc. But the Dec before I gave my O-levels, (a British
public exam similar to the CBSE 10th exam) he surprisingly inquired
about my grades (with not a word of mention or prompting from us
about my exams) during our annual visit. And that too, he
specifically asked whether I was used to getting `A' grades. (A small
note: the alphabetical grading system was only implemented in India
in the last decade or so. It goes to show how well-informed Swami is)
The next year was, to cut a long story short, a huge triumph for me
academically. I must confess that I was not used to getting `A's
during my middle school years and I am definitely sure that Swami's
subtle hint /
Kataaksham had something to do with my performance.

Acharyan thiruvadigalae charanam

Vijai Srinivas
2.      SRIMAD RAMAYANAM- INTRODUCTION (CONCLUDED) - PART 4
(Anbil Ramaswamy)
19. EMOTIONS GALORE!
An "Ithihasa" is required to depict the nine types of emotions; and
Srimad Ramayanam does full justice in this regard.
-       Sringaaram: (Conjugal happiness) Joy experienced by Sri Rama
and Sri Sita when they were together and misery when they were apart,
called SambOga and Vipralamba Sringaram respectively.
-       Haasyam: (Humor) Case of Soorpanakha whose amoral advances
were repelled by Sri Rama and Sri LakshmaNa.
-       KaaruNyam: (Mercy) Dasaratha's wailing after sending Sri Rama
to exile; the story of how the cruel crow was saved.
-       Veeram: (Heroism) In the breaking of Siva Dhanus
-       Roudram: (Anger): The decimation of RavaNa and his ilk.
-       Bhayaankam: (Fear) Maareecha who saw Sri Rama in every tree!
-       Bheebatsam: (Horror): Kabandhan, Viraadan and Raakshasis
surrounding Sita.
-       * Adbhutam: Hanuman's feet in jumping over to Lanka, Rama
building a bridge across the ocean, the terrific fight of Sri Rama
with RavaNa.
-       Saantham: (Tranquility) Sabari, Rishis of DaNDakaaraNya.

20. LIFESTORY OF VALMIKI
To appreciate how Valmiki portrayed all these in his RamayaNam, we
have to have a flashback of the life of the Aadikavi himself.

A little known fact about this well known Poet is that he was born in
Tiru Anbil, my native village where a lot of stone inscriptions stand
as testimony to this fact. He was known as "Rikshan". Later, he moved
to North India where due to bad company, he became a highway robber
whose only avocation was to waylay pilgrims passing through the dense
forest where he lived. Once, he stripped the belongings of a group of
seven Rishis (Saptarishis). The leader of the group asked Rikshan why
he was indulging in this sinful act. He replied that he did this in
order to feed his huge family. The leader asked him to go back home
to ascertain if the family members who enjoyed his booty were
prepared to partake in his sin as well. Rikshan headed home to
consult his family members. They said that it was his duty to feed
them and they would not share in his sin.

Frustrated, he returned to the Rishis and narrated the incident and
wished to know how he could expiate his sins. He was an unlettered
person. The leader showed him a tree and asked him to tell the name
of the tree. He said that it was called "Maraa maram". The leader
asked him to concentrate on repeating the name of the tree. He
replied: "Maraamara". They asked him to repeat the same incessantly.
"Ekaagra manasaa atraiva marEti japa sarvadaa" ? Adhyaatma Ramayanam
As he did this, automatically, "Maraamara" turned into "Ramarama".
Unmindful of his
surroundings, and forgetting food and sleep, he went on repeating the
words without any let up. In course of time, a huge anthill formed
and covered him fully. The rain god showered rains and the mud
surrounding Rikshan slowly got dissolved. Rikshan emerged out. He
came to be known as Valmiki meaning ? "one who emerged from an
anthill. "

21. VALMIKI"s QUESTIONS ON THE 16 GUNAS
When Naarada appeared before him, Valmiki asked him whether there was
anyone living in the world that possessed all the 16 Qualities
enumerated by him.

1. kOne asmin saampradam lOkE 1.guNavaan kas cha 2.veeryavaan/
3.dharmagjnas cha 4. kritagjnas cha 5. sathyvaakhyO 6. driDavratah//
7. chaaritrENa cha kO yuktah 8. sarva bhootEshu kO hitah/
9. vidwaan kah kah 10. samarthas cha 11. kaschaika priya Darsana: //
12. aatmavaan kO 13. jitakrOda:14.  dhyutimaan kO 15. anasooyaka: /
16. kasya bibhyati dEvaas cha jaatarOshasya samyugE//
Etad ichchaami aham srOtum param koutoohalam hi mE/
maharshE tvam samarthOsi jnaatum Evam vidham naram//

Narada was dumbstruck for a while, not because he did not know Sri
Rama as the only one who possessed all the qualities together but he
was mulling within his mind which of these qualities stood supreme!
Finally, he replied that it was indeed Sri Rama who possessed all the
qualities and that he was ruling in AyOdhya. Then, he proceeded to
narrate the life story of Sri Rama. This imprinted an indelible
impression in Valmiki's mind. He was so moved by the episodes,
especially of pangs of separation of Tara from her husband Vaali,
MaNDOdari from her husband RaavaNa, Sita from her husband Rama etc.
that he was mulling the incidents in his mind. This incident also
points to an important message that one should learn the esoteric
from a "Qualified" Guru.

22. GURU MUKHA UPADESAM
Padma Samhitai Chaaryaa Paadam 23-31 warns that acquisition of
knowledge by chance, by overhearing, by deceit, or from books is
sheer waste.
yadruchayaa srutO mantra: channEna chalEna vaa/
patrEkshitO vaa vyartha: syaat pratyuta anarthatO bhavEt//

23. KROUNCHA BIRD KILLED
At that time he saw a hunter shooting down the male of the twin
Krouncha birds (which are known to be always together). The male bird
fell down with blood spluttering all over and the female bird was
crying in anguish. Involuntarily, came out from the lips of the
unlettered Valmiki, a curse on the hunter.
"maa nishaada! pratishTaam tvam agama: saaswatee
samaa/                                             yath krouncha
mitunaad Ekam avadhee; kaama
mOhitam//
"Oh! Cruel hunter! How come you shot at and killed one of the two
krouncha birds even as they were in love-play? You can never be happy
and you will be wandering aimlessly for the rest of your life"
No sooner than he uttered this than he realized that it was not his
business to curse somebody and felt sad for doing so. Lord Brahma
appeared before him and told him that what he had uttered was not a
curse but read differently it turned out to be an auspicious Slokam,
with which he should commence writing his Ramayana.

24. SOKAM TURNS INTO SLOKAM!
**It was indeed an instance of SOkam giving birth to
Slokam.
 * * Do you know that there is a "SlOkam" that dispels "SOKam"?

He also blessed him -
- That all that happened in private or in public between the various
characters would be known to him in every detail - as if he were
actually witnessing them personally ?
rahasyam cha prakaasam cha yad vritham tasya dheemata: ?
- That there would not be single untruth in his work;-

na tE vaag anrutaa kaavyE kaaschid atra
bhavishyati/
Kuru Raama kathaam puNyaam slOka baddhaam
manOramaam //
- That this work would stand forever, so long the hills and dales
stood on
earth.
Yaavat sthaasyanti giraya: saritas cha
maheetalE/
Taavat RaamaayaNa katha lOkEshu prachalishyati//

Soon, Saraswati appeared and endorsed Brahma's boon and offered to
shower her grace in the composition. No wonder, Grammar, syntax and
Prosody, word and meaning - all vied with each other in seeking a
place in his
work.
"Tad upagata Sammasa Sandhi
yogam/
Sama madhura artha vaakhya
bhaddham/
Raghuvara charitam Muni praNeetam//

Gaayatri appeared and said that her Mantra consisted of 24 letters
and the each letter would preside over every 1000 slOkas of the
24,000 SlOkas in his Ramayana.

Srimad Valmiki Ramayanam is blessed with so many boons which other
Ramayanams cannot boast of. It is the one epic that has caught the
imagination of poets over the ages, that all other Ramayanas were at
best a derivative of this original Kaavya with twists and turns
improvised to suit their pet imagination.

25. WHAT IS THE BEST TIME FOR US TO READ RAMAYANAM?
There is a slOka which says:

praatah dhyoota prasangEna madhyaahnE stree prasangata: /
raatrou chOra prasangEna kaalO gachchati sreemataam//

A superficial reading would suggest that we should engage in reading
stories about gambling in the mornings, about women during daytime
and at night about thieving!

But, the real intent is that we should read Mahabharata (in which
gambling forms the turning point in the lives of the personalities)
in the mornings, Srimad RamayaNam (that centers around the
tribulations of a woman, Sri Sita - "Sitaayaa: charitam mahat")
during midday and at night, Srimad Bhaagavatam (that shows how we are
guilty of stealing our soul that belongs to God and how we should
surrender it back unto him).

26. WHAT IS THE BENEFIT IN RECITING/HEARING RAMAYANAM?
Kamban answers:

venri sEr ilangaiyaanai venra maal veeram Oda
ninra, ramaayaNathin nigazhndiDu kathaigaL tammil
onrinaip paDithOr taamum uraithiDak kETTOr taamum
nanru idu enrOr taamum naragamadu eidiDaarE (Kappup PaTalam)

Even if one of the several stories in Ramayana is studied or heard or
appreciated, such a person would not face any misfortune in life.

Again:
naaDiya poruL kai kooDum jnaanamum pugazhum uNDaam
veeDu iyal vazhi athu aakkum vEri am kamalai nOkkum  (Noor Payan)

Ramayana PaaraayaNam will bestow whatever is desired, like wealth,
health etc besides true knowledge, fame and the grace of Sri
Mahaalakshmi who is the prime mover in granting these.

At the end of the epic, Valmiki assures in no uncertain terms:
aayushyam aarOghyakaram yasayam, soubraatrukam buddhikaram subam cha/
srOtavyam yEtat niyamEna sadbhi: aakhyaanam Ojaskaram Vriddhi
kaamai: // (Yuddha khaaNdam 127)

The Sage commands that those desirous of enjoying unlimited happiness
like long life, health, fame, fraternal love, knowledge, generations
of virtuous progenies, un-diminishing wealth of all kinds and finally
mOksham itself should read / listen to this story of Rama

27. MUSICAL RENDERING OF RAMAYANA
Valmiki taught Lava and Kusa the story of Ramayana. They are known to
have sung Srimad Ramayanam so melodiously that the entire audience
was enthralled and Sri Rama himself leaving his throne moved to mix
with the audience entranced by the sweetness of their musical
rendering without his being aware of his doing so!

28. TWO WAYS OF LISTENING! Sideways or Up and down!
Sideways in appreciation; Up and down will indicate that the listener
is dozing!
 "While everyone in the audience was shaking heads in appreciation,
there was one who did not do so. Do you know who it was? It was none
other than AdisEsha because he heard not through his ears but by his
eyes and also as he is believed to bear the burden of the entire
universe, he could not afford to do so lest it should result in a
virtual earthquake!" humorously remarks Asmad Acharyan.
Concluded
3.      SATHABHISHEKAM AND ACHCHIDRA-ASWAMEDHA PAARAAYANAM  Part 2
(Concluded)
(Anbil Ramaswamy)
11. WHO CAN PERFORM THESE YAGAS?
There are several yaagas performed by Kings in the olden days. Some
of them are-
1.      Soma Yaagam: SOmam means "amritam" i.e. "prolonged life" -
almost being deathless.
2.      VaajapEyam: for wealth
3.      Raajasooyam: for control over other kingdoms
4.      Purusha mEdam: Human Sacrifice (vide Purusha Sooktam)To
understand the mysteries of creation
5.      Sarva mEdam: To understand the relationship between different
things.
6.      SouthramaNi: To conquer and get back lost kingdom
7.      Pravarghyam: for strength, health and vitality
8.      AswamEdham: Covers all the above including pleasing the
presiding deities of Earth (Bhuvi), fire (Anala), wind (Anila), Sun
(JyOti) and waters (VaruNa) and many others.
The AswamEdha Yaagam is one of the grandest sacrifices that could be
performed with great pomp and circumstance only by Emperors and
powerful kings.

12. IF SO, HOW CAN OTHER FOLKS OBTAIN THE BENEFITS?
The Vedas themselves in their infinite mercy prescribe that those
who are not able to perform this Yaagam can obtain the same fruits as
performing by just reciting / listening the Mantras involved as
listed in  Paragraph 7 above.
" Yam yam kritmadheeyatE tEna tEna asya ishTam Bhavati".

13. WHY EKAADASI AND DWAADASI?
This PaaraayaNam is usually made on Ekaadasi day and is followed
by "KaaTakam PaaraayaNam" on the following Dwaadasi day. Ekaadasi is
a special day because it is a day of "Upavaasa" (fasting day) and
Dwaadasi is a follow up of the same when the fast is broken
(PaaraNai). "Upa" means "Together" and "Vaasa" means ""residing"
Together, it means these are days when the Saadaka is deemed
to "reside with the Lord" mentally in meditation. Therefore, it
has "special effects" on these days and bestows "special benefits" to
the already beneficial effects of the PaaraayaNam.

14. WHO ALL DID THIS ACHCHIDRA-ASWAMEDHAYAAGA?
Brahmaa was the first to perform this in Kaanchi KshEtram. Ikshvaaku
kings before Dasaratha, Dasaratha himself and Rama are known to have
performed the Yaagam in their times. In our own days, Srimad Azhagiya
Singhar arranged for the PaaraayaNam on Ekaadasi and Dwaadasi as soon
as he took over the ascetic order. We know, how within a short time,
he was able to raise the status and the finances of the AhObila MaTam
from a stark minus to a staggering plus.

15. MESMERISING EFFECT
The sonorous rendering of the Mantras with the intonation and Svaram
by authentic Vedic scholars has a mesmerizing effect. It should be
seen to be believed. Thus, the very listening is a reward in itself
apart from the other benefits it is credited to confer.

16. WHAT DEITIES ARE INVOKED?
1. Mainly Agni (Fire God): He is known as "Havya-vaahana" - "Courier
of the offerings to the respective other deities He is also known
as "jaata-vEdas"- "One who knows all that happens". He is the nearest
deity capable of being sighted with our eyes (unlike Indra and
others). He is propitiated in 3 forms Aaahavaneeyam (90, 294),
Gaarhaapatyam (91) and Vaiswaanaram (93)
2. Hayagreeva
3. Indra: (93 and 107)
4. Soma (119)
5. VaruNa (93, 121)
6. Maruths (93)
7. Dadigraava (93)
8. Brihaspati (96)
9. Prajaapati (98)
10. Agnipureeshyam (174)
11. Garutmaan (178)
12. Hamsa Bhagavaan (185)
13. Purusheeyaagni (189)
14. Vanaspati (Not Dalda!) (190)
15. Vaiswaanaran
16. Ekaadasa Rudras (220, 316-327, 354, 368)
17. Viswakarma (233)
18. VaiswEdEvas (254)
19. Vaastasapati (164)
20. PoorNima (166)
21. Manu (160)
22. Parjanya dEvata and Aryamaan (132)
23. AswinidEvas (127)
24. Yagjna Samrakshaka Mahaa VishNu (127)
25. SwashTikrit (126)
26. Asvam (May be, this refers to the apocalyptic Kalki who rides on
horseback to bring the golden age of Krita Yuga again)
It will thus be seen that after Agni as Havya-vaahana, the first
deity propitiated is the Horse faced Haya-greeva and the last one is
Horse itself. That is why, it is known as "Aswa-mEDha Yaagam"

17. WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS THAT ACCRUE?
1. Welfare of humanity (LOka kshEmaatham)
2. IshTapraapti and
3. an-ishTa nivritti
4. Dheergha aayu: (sarata: satam) (90 AND 127   Yagjna Rakshaka Mahaa
VishNu)
5. Sons and Daughters, Cattle, House and other properties (91
Gaarhaapatyam)
6. All round Happiness in life (95)
7. Success in all undertakings (96 an 97        Brihaspati)
8. Vanquishing enemies (Satru naasanam) (98 Prajaapati and 185 Hamsa
Bhagavaan)
9. Satru DvEsha Nivrutti (185 Garutmaan)
10. To secure undiminishing prosperity (174 Agni purusheeyam)
11. Dhaanya Samriddhi (plenty of grains) 189 Purushayaagni)
12. Securing herbs (Oshadis) (190 Vanaspati)
13. Attaining the heavens (Svargam) (99)
14. Securing war horses (102)
15. Increasing virility and strength (104)
16. Leadership (93 and 107 Indra)
17 To secure pardon for sins committed (109)
18, Recognition through Royal honors (110)
19. To shine with royal regalia (121)
20. To secure the blessings of fore-fathers (111)
21. To acquire wealth like KubEra (119 Soman)
22. To secure amity and peace (126 SvashTakrit)
23. To secure the confidence of dEvas (132 Parjanya dEvta and
Aryamaan)
24. Securing cattle wealth (140 Pasupati Rudra)
25. Becoming a law maker like Manu (160 Manu)
26 Freedom from disease (164 VaastOshpati)
27. Valor (166).
What more can any one hope for?
May the Divya Dampathis shower their choicest blessings on all of us.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)