infinitive sentence

DavidP83

infinitive sentence

Post by DavidP83 »

Dear friends,

A (probably obvious) grammatical problem. In EH; XXXIX, 14 i read

καὶ ἄλλας δὲ τῇ ἰδίᾳ γραφῇ παραδίδωσιν Ἀριστίωνος τοῦ πρόσθεν δεδηλωμένου τῶν τοῦ κυρίου λόγων διηγήσεις καὶ τοῦ πρεσβυτέρου Ἰωάννου παραδόσεις·

what is the subject of the verb (inf act 3p sg) "παραδίδωσιν"? i understand as being indefinite, something like "it is revealed in his own writing ...." . However translators seem to understand that the subject of the verb is implicitly Papias.

Could you help me understand why?

one of the translation i found: "Papias gives also in his own work other accounts of the words of the Lord on the authority of Aristion who was mentioned above, and traditions as handed down by the presbyter John"
DavidP83

question on EH

Post by DavidP83 »

please read

what is the subject of the verb (pres act 3p sg) "παραδίδωσιν"? i understand as being indefinite, something like "it is revealed in his own writing ...." . However translators seem to understand that the subject of the verb is implicitly Papias.
Stephen Carlson

Re: infinitive sentence

Post by Stephen Carlson »

παραδίδωσιν is active. Your translation is acting like it’s passive/middle.

I have no idea why you think the subject is indefinite. No τις, no plural as in Mark, not compatible with τῇ ἰδίᾳ γραφῇ.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
DavidP83

Re: infinitive sentence

Post by DavidP83 »

Thank you Stephen for taking the time to look at my question which was, indeed, stupid

Return to “Syntax and Grammar”